Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hello @Ian,

I have a problem with my system. I hope you can help me.
My configuration looks like this:
WaveIO-ReceiverPi-FiFoPi (V1)-TransportPi-S/PDIF-DAC.
Fifo is supplied with clock by two Andreas clock, 11.2896 and 12.2880 MHz via SinePi.
When playing music at 96 or 88.2 kHz, only 48 or 44.1 kHz are output via S/PDIF. The music is played correctly, but with a frequency that is two times smaller.

I plugged the ESS controller into TransportPi (clean side FiFoPi). The correct frequency is displayed there.

I plugged Crystek clock 45.1584 and 49.1520 MHz into FiFoPi for testing. Everything is perfect, the music is played correctly. 96 kHz in, 96 kHz out via S/PDIF.

Is that the same limitation of TransportPi as with 5.6448 and 6.144 MHz clock and 44.1 and 48 KHz?

Has anyone got there UcPure working? Any feedback?

I tried it and was a little disappointed, expecting a better sound from UcPure. Good idea and Ian needs to work on it further. I will sell (sending from Russia), please contact me in private messages.

Attachments

• 20211204_013057.jpg
    20211204_013057.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 398
D

Deleted member 537459

After 4 ears of development the best solution for roon I share my experience.
The most important thing is network, because all the file go through the network so, I feed with best lps and modify switch ethernet with 25mhz drixo
You can find huge difference with rj45 cable, audioquest vodka is a good point to start.
I make a xpenology server with roon app, lps and 25mhz drixo clock on ethernet side.
Rpi4 with ropiee lps and 25mhz drixo clock on ethernet side. ( we speak rpi0 with garbage usb ethernet adapter... you have hears?)
You can try immediately a difference if you feed with good lps your switch and nuc.

Let me now

Roon…. I was a late adopter, but now would never want to get back…. I bought a lifetime license. Ropieee on a RPI is a great endpoint for Roon and the start for adding all your Ian Canada stuff….

Also the multi room is nice. One NUC “server” with Roon running 24/7 and a 16 TB NAS box with all my music and I play my music in 6 different locations and control anywhere in pc notebook iPad or iPhone….

No shares in Roon by the way, I am just “sold” :D

I tried it and was a little disappointed, expecting a better sound from UcPure. Good idea and Ian needs to work on it further. I will sell (sending from Russia), please contact me in private messages.

@AirAir

UcPure is just a management controller. UcPure itself has nothing to do with the power supply quality. Only ultracapacitors will be applied to the load when turns one. That's the whole design idea of UcPure.

3000F ultracapacitors are so far the best power supply. Noise wise, load response wise, no active power supply can compare.

I would suggest
1. Break-in the ultracapacitors for a longer time
2. Try the continuous output of the UcPure for the FifoPi clean side.
3. Bypass the fuse

However the digital audio system is very complicated, power supply is not the only thing that change the sound quality. Low phase noise clocks, good analog sections and so on are all significant.

Good luck to your project.
Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Because my parts finally were released by customs i made a start connecting some circuit boards together on my fifopi tower.
Like i wrote before i wanted to make some connections as direct ( without interrupting) as possible so just a soldering contact on both sides.
The connections from the ucconditioner boards to the lifepo4 board i made with the standard Kimber wire that exist for a few decades now.
Removing the green terminals and soldering the Kimber is a bit time consuming.
Making ALL connections( like the 3,3 output terminals going to the circuits ) also with Kimber can be done but i decided to go for some solid core silver wire i have in stock because whenever i need to disassemble the tower that wire is easier to desolder and solder again. Kimber needs some heat to get a good connections and Kimber all around will make things a bit to rigid.
As you can see there is no need to worry about the thickness of the copper bars connecting the cap terminals the parts inside the green terminals are lilliputian. M3 bolt added for comparison.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• 20211205_184755.jpg
    20211205_184755.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 189
Hi Ian,
what is the current status of your experiment with the UcPure that uses Eaton XL60 3000F Supercapacitors without a protection/balancing board, i.e. are the Supercapacitors still more or less balanced and haven't destroyed themselves yet?

Plus please recommend a manufacturer of such a balancing/protection board for anyone.

Thanks

Hi all,

the last weeks I tested a lot of FIFO reclocking options in my audio systems.

Aune SD Card Player into miniDSP SHD modified to IIS HDMI output. DACs used were my own PCM1704 design and HOLO Spring III.

Ian FIFO Pi Q3 and Allo Kali, Accusilicon, Crystek, NDK, Tent clock, the Q3 clock. Everything was powered with low noise regulated power supplies followed by UCConditioner.

ReClockPi made a huge difference for my setups. Even more than some clock variations.

After some weeks of testing, my conclusion is, it is absolutely necessary to FIFO reclock. I am getting used to the slight differences between good clocks.

There is a FIFO reclocker build in my own DAC. I was missing some sonic qualities in the HOLO Spring until I discovered, it is the FIFO reclocking. Chello for instance. Way more palpable with the reclocker. Was way more realistic on my own DAC. With Ian's FIFO Pi sounding great on the HOLO Spring too.

Still need to get some UC Pure boards ........

Thank you Ian for providing all this great finished modules! It makes trying ideas so much more fun

There should be no need for FIFO reclocking if using a fully synchronous dac with asynchronous USB. FIFO is an alternative to ASRC for audio formats that can benefit from it, such as SPDIF, TOSLINK, HDMI, etc.

In the case of less-than-well-implemented asynchronous USB, FIFO might help.

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
what is the current status of your experiment with the UcPure that uses Eaton XL60 3000F Supercapacitors without a protection/balancing board, i.e. are the Supercapacitors still more or less balanced and haven't destroyed themselves yet?

Plus please recommend a manufacturer of such a balancing/protection board for anyone.

Thanks

@Brzzl,

For more than a month, I'm still using the pair of Eaton XL60 3000F without a balancer/protection board. I'll measure the voltages of both and let you know.

Regards,
Ian

Hi all,

the last weeks I tested a lot of FIFO reclocking options in my audio systems.

Aune SD Card Player into miniDSP SHD modified to IIS HDMI output. DACs used were my own PCM1704 design and HOLO Spring III.

Ian FIFO Pi Q3 and Allo Kali, Accusilicon, Crystek, NDK, Tent clock, the Q3 clock. Everything was powered with low noise regulated power supplies followed by UCConditioner.

ReClockPi made a huge difference for my setups. Even more than some clock variations.

After some weeks of testing, my conclusion is, it is absolutely necessary to FIFO reclock. I am getting used to the slight differences between good clocks.

There is a FIFO reclocker build in my own DAC. I was missing some sonic qualities in the HOLO Spring until I discovered, it is the FIFO reclocking. Chello for instance. Way more palpable with the reclocker. Was way more realistic on my own DAC. With Ian's FIFO Pi sounding great on the HOLO Spring too.

Still need to get some UC Pure boards ........

Thank you Ian for providing all this great finished modules! It makes trying ideas so much more fun

@omainik

I'm glad that you are happy with the improvements made by ReClockPi. The whole design idea of the ReClockPi is to improve I2S/DSD signal quality by following the principle of signal integrity. I think there could be two reasons but please correct me if I'm wrong,

1. ReClockPi reduces the jitter on I2S/DSD signals, so if your DAC is sensitive to the jitter on I2S/DSD signals, good result would be expected.

2. ReClockPi improves the I2S/DSD signal quality, so the overall EMI noise that your DAC received will be reduced.

I myself am using the ReClockPi everyday with my ES9038Q2M dual mono DAC. Without ReClockPi, I have to use it at true SYNC mode to achieve a better sound quality. But after installing the ReClockPi, I can enjoy both true SYNC mode and the standard SYNC mode, their sound qualities are already at the same level. I also feel, under this case, the standard SYNC mode sounds a little bit vivid than the true SYNC mode, especially for DSD music. I'm very happy with it.

Regards,
Ian

Hi @Iancanada

I tried ReclockPi only on the Holo Spring DAC. The Improvement was huge. Involving ReclockPi had more impact, then changing between good clocks or changing between FifoPi or Kali.

I need to buy an other reclockPi board and some UCPure supplies for my own PCM1704 DAC. In this case, I still did not test the impact.

The only bad thing is, if you have so many good sounding DACs, you have to choose between them ;)

Ciao
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am in the process of connecting the lifepo4 board to my fifopi tower.
I installed 4 cells to make 4 separate 3,3 volts.
Right now i just need two 3,3 volts , one for each side of the fifopi. AND i will have one 3,3 volt for the reclockpi. The Sinepi will get its power from the fifopi board.
These 3 cells all have their own UcHybrid board.
So there is one 3,3 cell not used. Can i put that cell in parallel with one of the other cells by just soldering a thick wire from soldetab to soldertab?
If this cannot be done i better remove the cell by cutting the tabs.
I can imagine that the biggest consumer of energy could benefit from a cel in parallel.
Greetings,Eduard

@eduard

You can parallel outputs but never solder them tab by tab with wires. That will short the circuit.

The correct way to parallel them will be:
1. Make sure your four 3.3V outputs J1,J2,J3 and J4 are all good
2. Parallel the outputs with wires, for example, if you want to parallel J2 and J4, you just need to connect J2 and J4 together with wires positive to positive and negative to neagative.

Regards,
Ian