Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Well played @toddrhodes. Looks great.

Although my username feels offended no Lithiumwerks in the house.

You are aware you can order UcConditioner direct from Ian for about $6 shipping (no tracking) to Cali? SuperCaps from Mouser or Digikey since Texas unstable ATM. NVM, I mistaken you were in California (Markw4). Shipping rates may vary depending on your location.

Just fill out this form and send to Ian's e-mail. No Audiophonics needed unless absolutely necessary (Amanero, Accusilicon, etc.)

DocumentDownload/OrderFormEmpty.xls at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I paid 50usd for each clock. Time will tell how good they are.

I was quoted $50 US per clock via email by Acculisicon for the AS338.
"Most audiophile feel OCXO sound better
than SPXO one of key reason is OCXO short-term stability much much much better than SPXO, so we
improve this in AS338 design, alothugh AS388 still worse than high-quality OCXO, it is cost issue lah.
By the way ACCUSILICON also provide high quality OCXO products :]"

Awesome info on the AS338. I guess the AS338 will remain in the SPXO category. I was hoping it moved up to their OCXO category thus I was not surprised about the rumored price being as expensive as a "Pulsar".

I guess I have to consider the "Pulsar" MagicXtal again. I initially thought the AS338 would compete close to the MagicXtal, but they are not there yet. It's more an upgrade to the AS318.

Since it's all speculation on the AS338, something got lost in translation. Going to re-focus my efforts on MagicXtal, but I don't mind picking up a AS338 as a bandage solution for now. Especially since it will take close to a half a year process to procure, manufacture and ship from MagicXtal.

I'm quite happy with the Accusilicon AS318, but the "Pulsar" intrigues...

Unfortunately, I have to build between 3-5 Ian Systems before I can justify the MOQ5 trigger pull. Should knock out 2 Ian Systems this year.

Last edited:
As far as that goes...

Enough from I would not use one of these pieces of junk, to its pretty acceptable.

How good an Amanero sounds running on USB power is entirely dependent of the quality of the USB source. Some USB sources have very, very good USB power quality precisely for this reason. For example Sonore Renderers have a highly filtered (first) supply, which is then regulated to 5 VDC with a dedicated LT 3045 for the 5 VDC USB power rail. So I think one should consider the USB source quality first. I would hope that some of the better "audiophile" USB cards also address the quality of the USB 5 vDC supply as well.

Well played @toddrhodes. Looks great.

Although my username feels offended no Lithiumwerks in the house.

You are aware you can order UcConditioner direct from Ian for about $6 shipping (no tracking) to Cali? SuperCaps from Mouser or Digikey since Texas unstable ATM. NVM, I mistaken you were in California (Markw4). Shipping rates may vary depending on your location.

Just fill out this form and send to Ian's e-mail. No Audiophonics needed unless absolutely necessary (Amanero, Accusilicon, etc.)

DocumentDownload/OrderFormEmpty.xls at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

I didn't know that, but I will absolutely take a look! Thank you!

How good an Amanero sounds running on USB power is entirely dependent of the quality of the USB source. Some USB sources have very, very good USB power quality precisely for this reason. For example Sonore Renderers have a highly filtered (first) supply, which is then regulated to 5 VDC with a dedicated LT 3045 for the 5 VDC USB power rail. So I think one should consider the USB source quality first. I would hope that some of the better "audiophile" USB cards also address the quality of the USB 5 vDC supply as well.

That makes sense. I'm using a Pi4 but fed by Ian's LifePO4 battery supply so *hopefully* that helps. Also using a dual head Ghent cable to keep power/signal separate.

And whatever the case, I finally got a chance to sit down and listen tonight and... my word. It sounds very good to my ears. Considering "all I did" was a digital to digital converter, it seems even more impressive what excellent FIFO clocks and a very good (IMO) battery PSU can offer.

Other system particulars:
Denafrips Venus DAC
McCormack DNA-125 amp with a few goodies thrown in by SMC Audio
Dynaudio Confidence 2 Platinum speakers
Freya+ preamp

Going to be a very fun night of listening. I have a Mofi OneStep vinyl record coming tomorrow and I'm seriously not sure when I'm even going to switch my turntable on again at this point...

Edit - also A123, I know you're kidding but these LifePO cells were all I could scrounge together in a batch of 10. Seems, unsurprisingly, stock is low like so many other things these days.

Last edited:

I listen to music mainly trought usb. So i wanted to bring best out of it. I tried a lot of combinations. My best sounding is Amanero direct powered from lifepo. also added 1f ultracap. I tried dofferent types of supercaps. I didnt like new ultralow esr maxwell types. They brought sharpness back and pain in my ears.
Of course you must unsolder adp 3.3v regulator. Second best lt3045 imstead of adp and splitted usb cable with 8v lion accu. 5v batery pack is bad solution.
Streamer and external disk is also full accu suplied.

Hi all.

First off - I am a bit surprised and happy with the improvements I'm hearing after inserting the FIFOPi reclocker. To my ears it isn't subtle - better detail retrieval, instrumentation seems to be better "lit" against the background and the definition of space in the soundstage has IMO become better defined. And there is something about the lower midrange that just seems to have a bit more grunt to it - noticed that on my L/R polarity check track, Killing in the Name Of.

But I'm still hearing an audible glitch every few minutes. It happens with PCM and DSD, and the only component that is still the exact same as it was when I first heard it but not as a D2D converter but more as a streamer, is the FifoPiQ3.

BridgePi, Amanero are new for this round, and even my HDMIPi is a new unit. I've tried a few different HDMI cables - the one I'm currently using is a 4K spec cable and it's all of 6" long.

My only other idea to try and find what's causing this currently is to take FifoPi out of the equation and just run BridgePi to HDMIPi but I wasn't sure if that was possible? I also thought it could be the AccuSilicon clocks "burning in," but that seems less likely.

Any other ideas are welcome. If I just go straight from Pi4 USB into my DAC, I hear no glitches, and the settings in Roon and HQPlayer have been left exactly the same, to try and minimize variables.

I'd love to say it's not a big deal, but it kinda is. At times it just sounds a bit like a vinyl tick/pop but other times it sounds almost like a skip, so I suspect it's timing related but I've no idea how that happens.

Why you good for nothin'...

:)

It's all good. I've got a line on it, and I'll post up when I figure out the specifics in case anyone else has a similar thing in the future.

I was hoping that by buying a brand new Combo384 from audiophonics that it might come with the latest firmware but it appears that's not the case.

Dear Toddrhodes,

you can upgrade the firmware by going to amanero sites here Amanero Technologies

download the OEM tools 117, execute config tool and type "nativedsd" on OEM cell

install CPLD1082 and 2006be15Rxx,

Those I get from Domenico from Amanero and done that when I build my DDC
Also google how to flash Amanero firmware

Hope it helps

oddly, their reply doesnt make a great deal of sense. OCXO is about long term stability, not short term. the oven, by definition is about removing the long term self heating issues from the equation, nothing to do with short term.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt in the context of the syntax issues in their reply and assuming a mistranslation.

Why assume a mistranslation? Why would one think Accusilicon has done the same experiments that Andrea has done? Why would one think that many people interested in buying ultra-low phase noise clocks (potential Accusilicon customers) would know/believe that OCXO doesn't matter for audio?

By now, I hope most people around here would understand that one often can't 'educate' people out of dis-rational beliefs? If enough potential customers believe OCXO is better, then just give (sell) them what they want or somebody else will.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
oddly, their reply doesnt make a great deal of sense. OCXO is about long term stability, not short term. the oven, by definition is about removing the long term self heating issues from the equation, nothing to do with short term.

1. Sales liaison
  2. Lost in Translation
I have no clue about clocks. I don't even know if you can use DIP-8 with FiFoPi since that opens other possible solutions.

I'm only here for SQ and clean LiFePO4 solutions, but like learning the DIY tech along the way.

DIP-14 only AS318 in Accusilicon product lineup. For I, I rather go MagicXtal or AS318/338 as those are safe solid choices.

Here's Accusilicon SPXO (translated):

AS310 series ultra-low phase noise crystal oscillator

AS310 is a general-purpose ultra-low noise SPXO. Compared with competing products, it provides a product with a noise floor performance as low as -170dBc in a smaller size and lower power consumption, covering a frequency range of 10MHz-250MHz.

• Ultra-low near-end phase noise
  • Ultra low noise
  • Low power consumption
  • Ultra-small package size 2.5mmx2.0mm, 2.0mmx1.6mm
AS318 series ultra-low phase noise crystal oscillator

AS318 series crystal oscillator, with ultra-low near-end phase noise (< -100dBc @ 10Hz), is the preferred device for Hi-Fi mobile phone audio modules, Audiophile audio and professional audio clock circuits.

• Ultra-low near-end phase noise
  • Ultra low noise
  • Low power consumption
  • Multi-package DIP-14, 2.5mmx2.0mm, 2.0mmx1.6mm
  • Covers common frequency points of Hi-Fi audio system: 45.1584MHz, 49.152MHz, 90.3168MHz, 98.304MHz, 100MHz
Here's Accusilicon OXCO (translated):

AS520 10MHz high frequency stability standard

AS520 is a high-performance frequency standard product with ultra-low phase noise, ultra-high frequency stability and high frequency accuracy.

• Excellent frequency accuracy, reaching 1E-10
  • Excellent short-term stability (Allan variance) performance, reaching 2E-13
  • Very low near-end phase noise: <-120dBc @1Hz
  • Sine wave output greater than 7dBm
AS512 is a 10MHz standard frequency constant temperature crystal oscillator with ultra-low phase noise. Its performance characteristics are

• Excellent short-term stability (Allan variance) performance, reaching 5E-13
  • Very low near-end phase noise: <-115dBc @ 1Hz (AS512L)
  • Very low near-end phase noise: <-118dBc @ 1Hz (AS512H)
  • 50mm x 50mm x 25mm package
AS510S is a high-performance 10MHz standard frequency constant temperature crystal oscillator, its performance characteristics are

• Excellent short-term stability (Allan variance) performance, reaching 1E-12
  • Very low near-end phase noise: <-110dBc @1Hz
  • Very low noise floor: <-170dBc @ >1kHz (AS510S)
AS509 series of constant temperature crystal oscillator for professional audio

In order to pursue the most perfect sound fidelity, professional audio equipment has extremely demanding requirements on the sampling clock of digital audio. The AS509 series constant-temperature crystal oscillators are tailored for professional audio applications and output the common frequency points of audio systems, which achieves the ultimate performance of the sampling clock.

• Very low near-end phase noise: <-105dBc @ 1Hz 11.2896MHz/12.288MHz
  • Covers common frequency points of audio systems: 11.2896MHz, 12.188MHz, 22.5792MHz, 24.5796MHz, 45.1584MHz, 49.152MHz, 90.3168MHz, 98.304MHz, 100MHz, 180.6336MHz, 196.608MHz
  • CMOS 3.3V output
AS508 10MHz constant temperature crystal oscillator

AS508 is a high-performance 10MHz standard frequency constant temperature crystal oscillator, its performance characteristics are

• Excellent short-term stability (Allan variance) performance, reaching 2E-12
  • Near-end phase noise: <-100dBc @ 1Hz (AS508L)
  • Near-end phase noise: <-105dBc @ 1Hz (AS508H)
  • 36mm x 27mm x 16mm package

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Edit - also A123, I know you're kidding but these LifePO cells were all I could scrounge together in a batch of 10. Seems, unsurprisingly, stock is low like so many other things these days.

Username forgives you.

This site is unofficial A123 official for USA:

ANR26650M1-B, A123 Nanophosphate(R) 3.3V 2.5Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Cylindrical Battery

They claim "Current Stock: 47043".

When I purchased stock around 55,000 but I had to wait a few days for them to receive shipment so YMMW.

This DIY hobby is a marathon not sprint so site is there when your ready.

TIP: For Mouser if you buy QTY6-9 SuperCaps, you may as well buy 10+ because of bulk discount. So if you buy 9, but compare to 10 it may turn out similar total price.

Why assume a mistranslation? Why would one think Accusilicon has done the same experiments that Andrea has done? Why would one think that many people interested in buying ultra-low phase noise clocks (potential Accusilicon customers) would know/believe that OCXO doesn't matter for audio?

By now, I hope most people around here would understand that one often can't 'educate' people out of dis-rational beliefs? If enough potential customers believe OCXO is better, then just give (sell) them what they want or somebody else will.

They could very well be simply wrong, true. Or, maybe worse, misleading intentionally. I'm just not jumping to either conclusion, given the poor English in the reply in general.

Or maybe there's more to be learned about the effects of temperature stability on audio clocks ... in certain conditions. I'm aware of Andrea's conclusions and they might hold in all cases, as far as I know, but maybe not.

Dear Toddrhodes,

you can upgrade the firmware by going to amanero sites here Amanero Technologies

download the OEM tools 117, execute config tool and type "nativedsd" on OEM cell

install CPLD1082 and 2006be15Rxx,

Those I get from Domenico from Amanero and done that when I build my DDC
Also google how to flash Amanero firmware

Hope it helps

Thank you for this! Very helpful indeed.

My view has nothing to do with Andrea's conclusions; they simply confirmed what logic would predict. I knew this years ago; as did many on here it seems; it just hadn't been specifically measured lately, at least measured and published wrt audio.

The Oven is about solving issues unrelated to audio ie GPS, satellite navigation, weapons targeting, medical imaging etc. anything where the ultimate accuracy over periods/cycles of hours/days/years are important, rather than fractions of a second. that is simply not the case for audio.

Yes, close in phase noise seems to be important down to perceivable levels, but the album, or at the very least song would be finished before the shortest of one of these long cycles are .... :)

Whether it's naivety, or deliberate misrepresentation is relatively unimportant and I won't hazard a guess which it is either.

Performance of resistors, crystals, transistors is different over temperature and temperature is affected by environmental issues, as well as the parts heating and cooling themselves in use. the oven solves this by keeping the can at an elevated, but constant temperature.

The parts chosen to go into OCXO are often already the higher performance parts, so people seem to mistakenly assume the oven has something to do with it.

Question on the u.fl connections - what's the advantage to using them for the 3 non-MCLK connections between FIFO and Transport (HDMIPi, in my case)? Are they considered to be a "better" connection than that data passing through via GPIO?

Just curious.

New Amanero FW is much better. I have heard an audible glitch or two, but it's been two in about half an hour of listening where last night it was every few minutes I'd hear it. Still not sure those are due to the Amanero, however.

InspectorGadget... Not sure but are you saying an OCX with lower close in phase noise contributes nothing to sound?
Find a way to do a listening comparison. You'll be surprised.
In the case of Andrea's WTMC, you can listen to the system with the oven off, or with the oven heating the oscillator to the optimal temperature. Sound difference is pretty dramatic. Dampening the crystal from vibration also has a pretty significant impact on sound.