Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi Ian
I have some FOX FVXO-HC73 SERIES
90.3168 MHZ 3.3V HCMOS SMD
(for dac master clock)
didnt try them yet, but information may be usefull for You.
btw please take a look to the specs, are this fox model good enough?
please count me for 2 boards of new clocks :)

Thanks Zoran,

All other 90.3168 XO I have are not very good. I'll look into this one. Hope some improvements.

Regards,
Ian

New anti-vibration solution

Jitter can also be introduced from mechanical vibration through clock board by crystal oscillator. For a high-end audiophile grade clock board, to isolate mechanical vibration is one of the basic requirements.

Rubber-ring suspension was used last time for Dual XO clock board. But the problem was that they are not very durable and it’s also very hard to source suitable ones for the KIT, though some alternative solutions were already posted on the thread.

I found this anti-vibration screw grommets solution recently. They look quite decent. I noticed that the laser pick-up in a DVD drive or CDROM has similar solution to isolate the vibration.

Maybe I can include this new anti-vibration solution into my new DUAL XO II clock board design.

Ian

Attachments

• picture.png
    picture.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 745
  • SDSC06585.jpg
    SDSC06585.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 618
  • SDSC06578.jpg
    SDSC06578.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 617
  • SDSC06586.jpg
    SDSC06586.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 624
  • SDSC06581.jpg
    SDSC06581.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 609
  • sDSC06588.jpg
    sDSC06588.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 181
I've added the Amanero combo384 USB-I2S adapter to the FIFO setup via the SPDIF board backdoor, but kept on having noise/distortion when I tried playing 352.8 or 384 kHz files. At first the distortion wasn't very noticeable, but after a minute or two of playing a file, it became progressively louder, and remained that way for all subsequent files played. When I changed to 192 kHz files, I couldn't hear any distortion.
My setup is the following: Amanero -> SPDIF backdoor -> FIFO -> Isolator -> Si570 -> I2S-to-PCM.

If anyone else has this problem, what fixed it for me (after eliminating the player and DAC as culprits) was to change the Amanero's CPLD firmware to CPLD_1080_XC12 "lrclk - sclk - data reduced delay", and keeping the CPU firmware to firmware_1080.
Now 384 kHz files play without any noise nor distortions.

Paul

Amanero USB 384KHz issue fixed by new FW

I've added the Amanero combo384 USB-I2S adapter to the FIFO setup via the SPDIF board backdoor, but kept on having noise/distortion when I tried playing 352.8 or 384 kHz files. At first the distortion wasn't very noticeable, but after a minute or two of playing a file, it became progressively louder, and remained that way for all subsequent files played. When I changed to 192 kHz files, I couldn't hear any distortion.
My setup is the following: Amanero -> SPDIF backdoor -> FIFO -> Isolator -> Si570 -> I2S-to-PCM.

If anyone else has this problem, what fixed it for me (after eliminating the player and DAC as culprits) was to change the Amanero's CPLD firmware to CPLD_1080_XC12 "lrclk - sclk - data reduced delay", and keeping the CPU firmware to firmware_1080.
Now 384 kHz files play without any noise nor distortions.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thank you for your good news.

Mine Amanero was the new version I think, so I didn’t have this 384 KHz problem. Glad you fixed it by new FW. It seems all USB work for 384 KHz now with the most upgrated FW.

Regards,
Ian