Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi again, Ian

I am not talking about my ESS Sabre 9018 Dac, but about Doede Douma's version of a NOS implementation of the PCM 1794 Dac. With the waveio USB.
Do you mean that the same counts for this dac too?
If so, when could I(we) expect a version 2 of the dual clockboard?
Should I put it on the GB-list?

Thanks for all your answers,

Have a nice holiday(s),

Ed

Hope the following two links help:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rsal-i2s-pcm-driver-board-46.html#post3552912

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rsal-i2s-pcm-driver-board-53.html#post3621653

have a good weekend

Ian

Doede's dac doesn't take mck, it generates it from bck? Wouldn't the single clock board work? The FIFO output to the dac would only use BCK/FSCK/DATA?

Hi Palmito,

All the clockboards work in my combination. The 570 board up to 384, but with the dual board and 45/49Khz clocks (in highspeed mode) is 192 the highest frequency to achieve.
You have the DDDAC174-Waveio combination as well if I remember right?
Did you try the dual board with the 45 en 49 clocks?
I wonder what your findings are...

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Ed. I no longer have the WaveIO hooked up to the ddac. Additionally, I have not used my ddac with the FIFO, so I can't really give you an opinion on that. Mine is driven by a raspberry pi hooked up to an Acko S03 and this to the ddac. But the S03 has a single 100mhz clock. The pi does not have MCK, can you hookup the WaveIO without MCK to the FIFO? Ian? If it can be done like that then it would be same hookup as the pi and it should work with the both dual and single clock boards?

Sorry, seems I asked more questions than I answered... :eek:

Hi Ed. I no longer have the WaveIO hooked up to the ddac. Additionally, I have not used my ddac with the FIFO, so I can't really give you an opinion on that. Mine is driven by a raspberry pi hooked up to an Acko S03 and this to the ddac. But the S03 has a single 100mhz clock. The pi does not have MCK, can you hookup the WaveIO without MCK to the FIFO? Ian? If it can be done like that then it would be same hookup as the pi and it should work with the both dual and single clock boards?

Hi Palmito,

Works perfect without MCK from Wavio I2s/Spdif-Fifo/clock/Dac.

1) Dual clockboard with 45 and 49 clocks up to 192 Khz.
2) 570 clockboard up to 384!
3) For single clock board I did not try higher F than 48Khz.

Regards,
Ed

Works perfect without MCK from Wavio I2s/Spdif-Fifo/clock/Dac.

1) Dual clockboard with 45 and 49 clocks up to 192 Khz.

Regards,
Ed

For what its worth, the dual XO I have here with 45/59 clocks is limited to 192kHz as max useable frequency (352/384 is displayed as an option) This is also with Lucians WaveIO with the 384 firmware update. I was starting to think its the WaveIO, or the Aurdivana software, or perhaps even the PCM board feeding 1541A (half speed or full mode). Best thing I ever heard so far but if theres a solution I'm overlooking, I'd be all ears.

Shane

Last edited:
Dual clockboard + 45/49 clocks

For what its worth, the dual XO I have here with 45/59 clocks is limited to 192kHz as max useable frequency (352/384 is displayed as an option) This is also with Lucians WaveIO with the 384 firmware update. I was starting to think its the WaveIO, or the Aurdivana software, or perhaps even the PCM board feeding 1541A (half speed or full mode). Best thing I ever heard so far but if theres a solution I'm overlooking, I'd be all ears.

Shane

Thank you Shane

Nice to here the same from an other user.
I was thinking I had blown my dual board, because the manual does say that 384 could be done with the dual board + 45(49) clocks.
I am afraid I will have to wait for a version 2 as Ian mentioned in one of his replies.

Ed

Attachments

• 384.JPG
    384.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 453
384Khz

Ed, try the single board with the 98 clock as Ian mentioned. For ddac you don't need both clocks, just one, since you are not doing anything with the MCK.

Palmito,
That means I have to get myself a 98clock! Ok, I have to try that.
This means that the Waveio does the frequency changeing, and the clockboard stays passive.
Sounds if it could work.

Ian,
What is the part number of the L12 in the single board, the one I borrowed for mending the dualboard (remember?), so I can put it back in this board?
Thanks for all the hints,
Ed

Last edited:
384Khz

Palmito,
That means I have to get myself a 98clock! Ok, I have to try that.
This means that the Waveio does the frequency changeing, and the clockboard stays passive.
Sounds if it could work.
=================

Think I have to forget it!
There will be no switching of frequencies.When choosing 98 clock I will only have 384 and I do need all F's, both 44 and 48 families.
So for automatic switching I need the two clockfrequencies I am afraid.
Please correct me if I am wrong,
Ed

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Ben,

If it works with 49/22, that means both dual xo and fifo board are good.

I suspect the disconnection or short on the small xo adapter board. Please check it up again. If you still can not work out, you can send the clock board and the XOs back to me, I could fix the issue for you.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Before sending the board to you, I thought that possibly my power supply feeding the Dual Clock board and one half of the isolator was not supplying enough current since there is a CCS in the power supply.

To check the Chrystek 45MHz xo, I tried the 45/24 combination and it worked. So both Chrystek xo frequencies are working properly.

I then upped the CCS current from 70 mA to 120 mA and tried the board with both Chrystek XOs in place and again, the leds did not light up. According to the Chrystek data sheet, the XO draws a maximum of 25 mA and I have increased the current available by 50 mA to accommodate the second Chrystek XO. Is 120 mA enough for the Dual clock board with Chrystek CCHD 957 XOs plus one half of the isolator? Or is there something else that I am missing?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

Thank you Shane

Nice to here the same from an other user.
I was thinking I had blown my dual board, because the manual does say that 384 could be done with the dual board + 45(49) clocks.
I am afraid I will have to wait for a version 2 as Ian mentioned in one of his replies.

Ed

Hi Ed,

So you think its to do with Fs as it relates to sampling frequency vs clock speed and that 90/98 mHz clocks will do the trick?.

With the 45/49 clocks, what happens if you shift the jumpers at TP3-4 to TP4-5 and TP6-7 to TP7-8 ?

Shane

Hi Ed,

So you think its to do with Fs as it relates to sampling frequency vs clock speed and that 90/98 mHz clocks will do the trick?.
Shane

Hi Shane,
Ian says I need clocks with double the F (90/98) from what I am using. It is a pity, because I bought them just for this reason. Being able to play all resoutions. And besides.....the manual said so.
And he spoke about a future version2 dual clockboard that should do the trick.

Attachments

• 384.JPG
    384.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Hi Shane
Thank you for asking.
Nothing different happens.
Regards,
Ed

Thanks for trying this, Ed.

Even if nothing different happens, how can it not change anything?. This is all way over my head BTW.

But it does clearly state that 45/49 will provide up to 384, which is what I'm struggling to achieve. I have 22/24 and 45/49 don't want to buy more clocks.

Regards,
Shane

Last edited: