Astell&Kern AK100 portable media player Overpriced Snob Appeal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my complaint isnt really with John, hes just a marketing device here and at least did do some testing (kudos); although the minimisation of what is really quite a lame design decision doesnt do him any favors. My problem is with what passes for 'hi-end' product, charging significantly higher sums for players, based on the notion of having hi performance and not satisfying basic principles of competence in that design, while concentrating on a list of buzzwords. playing hi-res audio and pushing that, employing bigshot branded franchises to get involved in the design who cannot manage to provide FR at even +/-2dB 20-20, its all upsidedown.

but its par for the course I guess, I dont know why I keep expecting better. maybe it has to do with being able to build an amp section on a DIY PCB that does better for $20-30 in parts … in the space of 35 x 40mm including regulators (given we are talking battery power, no bridge or large caps are needed)

commercial concerns do mean challenges I dont have, but they also provide advantages, in return for a hi-end price, you are expected to take a good look at the market place and for headphone amps, that means looking at the headphones people will use. this exact impedance issue has been discussed in detail over the last 3-4 years and many of the 'hi-end' players that have been released in the last few years, seem to have their priorities wrong. they provide more and more features, but neglect the basics.

i'm also a disappointed and loyal iriver user, we waited many years for a player that could potentially improve on the iHP series (I have 3 of them).

the Fiio X3 looks a much better option for my purposes at 1/3 the price. it doesnt play DSD, but then neither does the WM8740 … and i'm not really fussed anyway.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.