Art of FR Splicing: SS 18W/4531

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help, including, of course, ernperkins who was the first to spot it.

I completely agree with everyone who says my plots don't look right. I'll upload the raw data in a little while, but I want to keep an open mind as to what "right" should be, and if I'm totally wrong would like to prove myself wrong via experimentation. Here's how I ended up "leaving the reservation":

When we evaluate a measurement technique we usually do so with the idea that far-field is messy, but king. The reason for the esteemed Mr. Bagby's blender and baffle step modifications to the near-field are to match up one to the other. And many have proven this works reliably. Myself included, though I may not bother at times. :)

We assume that all of the wiggles below that are room issues. Here's my cognitive dissonance. I've never seen a real ported speaker end up measuring in the far field like the textbooks, at or below port resonance. ernperkin's plots are an example of the current state-of-the-art technieques. I would love help being guided back to the land of reason and physics. :)

So it boils down to this: I did something different and it is matching up far better to the far-field. Help me come to grips, please.

Best,

E

Last edited:
Here are my raw data files.

I calculated the port contributions using XSim. I treated the port and driver as speakers, adjusting polarity, distance and level of the port until it matched the far-field measurements. Total cheat, and the phase angles never matched, but amplitude did, nearly exactly.

Attachments

• DIYAudio.zip
    55.5 KB · Views: 26
Make sure that adding baffle step response to other measurement is done with a math operation of multiplication.
It appears to me that you didn't flip the phase of a port response by 180 deg and that is why you got a whole around 45 Hz.

Last edited:
The easiest way to splice is to match woofer and port level at a point far enough below port tuning. Hard to do with yours. Look at keele's nearfield paper and you will find scaling factors based on area, but I suspect that won't work for these files because it is a vector sum and your measured phase looks strange, and your files don't have the same frequency resolution and the levels are very far apart, like 108dB or so....

I did a little vlookup magic and came up with this - your match before the vector sum should look something like this (probably +/- 3-5dB or so).

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 48
You should remeasure both at same input level

A correct splice would look like this plot that shows woofer, port and vector sum. See how levels are the same when port and woofer are moving together at very low frequencies?

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 64
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.