Are you REALLY going to be dead ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's wonderful to see so many opinions on this thread. Thanks to everyone.

I discussed life and death and the after life many times with my mom. Something that she wouldn't have done by herself because of the stigma attached to talking about death.
She was pretty cool about it and agreed that dying and the after life was fine. Being bed ridden with illness was not !

I lost her on the 12th of this month. How much ever we talk about these things , parting is always very painful !

I guess it's OK as she was ill only 2 days and didn't suffer and more importantly , she had a full life - she was 84.

Last edited:
Dear ashok,
really sorry to hear about your mother but I am glad that she did not suffer and reached a good age and had a full life.
Being bed ridden with illness is, or at least can be, truely horrible.
Just two weeks ago my closest friend and the best man at my wedding died of an agressive form of lung cancer after just a few months of illness. I saw him often as he withered away and the day before he died he was just a shadow of his former self, unable to speak and in great pain despite the morphine drip.
He was not a religous man but had great intellectual spirituality......he taught Tai Chi for many years so was at peace with himself. He was 57!
It is a shame that he was persuaded to take a course of chemotherapy as this was the final nail in his coffin and it ruined the last few weeks of his life.
He was the third close friend that I have buried and I am now more sure than ever that there is no afterlife, only the memories we have of them persist through time.

RIP

I was a mathematics major as an undergraduate.

Then I got my PhD in philosophy.

As my thesis, my paper was entitled "The Indestructibility of Information"

Long story short...

Whenever the universe creates something that differentiates itself from random noise (in other words, a pattern of some kind) then the universe preserves it.

It doesn't die.

Even if its form changes form.

I illustrate it thusly:

Many times the brain has been compared to a hologram. Holograms and brains have the following properties in common:

- They contain information
- Division of the whole creates parts which sum to provide information contained in the whole
- Assays (analysis of the information) of the parts reveal "ghosts" of the whole
- No part can be "completely" destroyed
- If the whole hologram is "destroyed" (unreadable) then the universe "assimilates" the information in the fields surrounding the holographic medium

So what it all means is that though you might be killed, burned, exploded, or whatever else.... there is an indestructable part of you that remains imprinted and (there is evidence to suggest) continues to be active in the remainder of the universe around your now-defunct physical body.

Yes, we are eternal.

We are spirit living a physical existence.

No matter can be created or destroyed, it can merely change shape...but you said it so much better!

I was a mathematics major as an undergraduate.

Then I got my PhD in philosophy.

As my thesis, my paper was entitled "The Indestructibility of Information"

Long story short...

Whenever the universe creates something that differentiates itself from random noise (in other words, a pattern of some kind) then the universe preserves it.

It doesn't die.

Even if its form changes form.

I illustrate it thusly:

Many times the brain has been compared to a hologram. Holograms and brains have the following properties in common:

- They contain information
- Division of the whole creates parts which sum to provide information contained in the whole
- Assays (analysis of the information) of the parts reveal "ghosts" of the whole
- No part can be "completely" destroyed
- If the whole hologram is "destroyed" (unreadable) then the universe "assimilates" the information in the fields surrounding the holographic medium

So what it all means is that though you might be killed, burned, exploded, or whatever else.... there is an indestructable part of you that remains imprinted and (there is evidence to suggest) continues to be active in the remainder of the universe around your now-defunct physical body.

Yes, we are eternal.

We are spirit living a physical existence.

But the information or patterns if you like contained within living things only continues to exist as long as there is a continuous input of energy.
If the input of energy ceases the information contained in the life form also ceases to exist while its constituent parts (atoms) will remain but without any info about the living being they were once a part of.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004

Attachments

• Tbear.gif
    Tbear.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 120
uzernaam- BEAUTIFUL post. In fact, amazing. Didn't expect it in this forum.

You missed the point. There ARE numerous wonderful people on this forum. Just because they argue a lot sometimes and loose their cool doesn't mean they aren't wonderful ! It's because they are wonderful they still stick together ! So you shouldn't realy be surprised when they really open up their wonderful inner self.
It's great being here ! I'm sure almost as great as it will be on the other side? We could try to achieve that.

I have a cousin who has been in debt a long time. He's careless with monetary matters . He's a really wonderful person and is ALWAYS cheerful. He also has various ailments that he never talks about. Most ( very close) rich relatives steer clear of him just in case he asks for funds ! They never seem to realise what a wonderful person he is. Mom and I discussed this a lot. So we decided that when our next monetary gain arrived we would clear all his debts for him. Unfortunately she's left and I will do it without her being here. I just hope she can see from where ever she is that the plan was put to work.
I've realised that if we want to do something useful for others it must be done now. Delaying it might not help at all. Doing something good for others always leaves a 'wonderful afterglow' that lasts a long time ( eternity ? ) !
Bless you all !
Cheers.

I really can't see what the connection is between a brain and a hologram! Apart from that when you destroy them they cease to exist beyond the realm of the atomic.

"if the whole hologram is destroyed then the universe assimilates the information in the fields surrounding the holographic medium"

By what method does the universe assimilate the information?
What fields?
I'm sorry but I have to say that this a whole new branch of physics being talked about that I, nor I expect anybody else, has any familiarity with.

There is no way we will know any of this without actually doing it. akin to building amps/audio , you don't know til' you power it up.

I almost died in 12/15/90 , or so I was told. So clearly I can remember yelling at the doctors while looking down at me and them. They did not respond to my (phantom) insistence that they did not "put me under". When I finally woke 2 days later , I described what I saw and they asked me "how do you know this ? " . I still don't know , but I did not "go under" and witnessed the operation to bring me back from my car wreck.

So , I am inclined to believe there is something beyond physical existence by actually experiencing a real event. It is a permanent memory that will be with me until death.

OS

For the skeptical , they will never believe till something happens to them and that will not happen to all of them. However everyone will experience it at the end of life but unfortunately will not be able to come back and describe the experience to the others.
It doesn't matter really. Either you believe or not or keep an open mind.

We will be our own solution when the time comes.........!

Cheers.;)

For the skeptical , they will never believe till something happens to them and that will not happen to all of them. However everyone will experience it at the end of life but unfortunately will not be able to come back and describe the experience to the others.
It doesn't matter really. Either you believe or not or keep an open mind.

We will be our own solution when the time comes.........!

Cheers.;)

I did the NDE thing. I do not believe it was anything other than physical brain stuff. I mean, just day-to-day consciousness is mind boggling, but there's no doubt that it goes away when the brain is anesthetized. To quote the great philosopher Porky Pine, "Don't take life too serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent."

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well - I died at least 3 times in my dream

felt every bloody part of physical in it ;

regarding mental side of it - I just felt sorrow , for leaving dear ones ..... but also many things I enjoy

morning was not so much revelation as I reckon it must be , but more just remembering of event

so - finally - going away can't be so big thing , at least not for one who's going :rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.