Are Usher amps just lookalike or buildt on licence?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the Usher, and next post is the Stasis, i've worked on the Usher and it's quality and build is exceptional. The only thing is that they run them at half the class A bias that Nelson did. I suppose that considering where they come from (Asia) it's practical not to have a hot idling amp. I own the Threshold S300 mkII optical and the Usher is very close, i'd say they may have paid for the Stasis licence.

Cheers George

oops Sorry, the Usher

Attachments

• r2.5.gif
    r2.5.gif
    96.1 KB · Views: 4,420
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
HBarske said:
The similarities are purely optical. Electronically, they are completely different.

The output stage is the same as some of the Threshold, but
they look to have stuck an additional gain stage in the middle.

In any case, the patent has expired and belongs to someone
else. Usher doen't appear to be shy about copying popular
circuits, but it's too bad if they run it at half bias, as the
performance was very dependent on full bias.

I have no doubt that the amp delivers 350 watts:)

But if it is a bad thing that the VU meters bottoms out (and clipping occurs) then it seems like I need even more.

Probably the wise thing to do is to go all the way to the X1000 monos.

Another solution is to get one more X350 and biamp. (one for the bass, one for the top) maybe a good thing because of the 1,5 ohm impedance drop @30 hz.

Dag
:)

Nelson Pass said:

The output stage is the same as some of the Threshold, but
they look to have stuck an additional gain stage in the middle.

In any case, the patent has expired and belongs to someone
else. Usher doen't appear to be shy about copying popular
circuits, but it's too bad if they run it at half bias, as the
performance was very dependent on full bias.

Usher, I think is based in Taiwan(?)...it looks like they're as shy as DIYZone.

I've been inside the 2.5, and it has stunning build quality, better than the Thresholds of yesteryear, if I did'nt know better, I'd say it was built by Nelson today with the modern day maufacturing.
Nelson would be proud if he saw them, and was getting a kickback naturally.
All componentry (caps, resistors, transistors, circuit boards) look first rate, transformer are huge and a work of art, they have a beautiful chassis and massive heatsinks that run luke warm and need to be biased up harder to sound even better than they already sound. Maybe the reason they run so cool is that they wanted them bullit-poof even if power up in the Sahra or some desert.
Well worth considering if you can get a secondhand one cheap.
In my oppinion they've out Krelled, Krell in construction and build quality

Cheers George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.