• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are these of any use for audio?

IMG_6402.jpeg
IMG_6401.jpeg
IMG_6400.jpeg
IMG_6403.jpeg
IMG_6404.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg
I have acquired quite a few tubes that I think must be for old tv’s and radios but are they of any use to us audio people?

Of course. It is slightly inconvenient that most of them are P valves, meant for television with 300 mA series-connected heaters, but you can also heat those with voltage. You just need some unusual heater voltage values then, see their datasheets for details.

Reactions: 1 user
Not much resale value, and if you are going to all the trouble of creating a new amp or preamp you wouldn't start with any of these.
I agree with the first part about the resale value, but those 6P36S Soviet sweep tubes would probably work just fine as output tubes in a PP pentode amp.
Perhaps something like Pete Millett's Engineer's Amp.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not much resale value, and if you are going to all the trouble of creating a new amp or preamp you wouldn't start with any of these.
Geez, Andy! They might not be to everybody's taste but some of those valves have promise! To pick but a few:
  • The 6F24 is a good frame grid pentode and a kissing cousin of the EF184 - both make good triodes too.
  • The EF80 is another good pentode that makes a good triode.
  • The PC86 and PC88 are both meaty triodes that could make good drivers or cathode followers.
  • The 6/30L2 is a twin triode with goodly transconductance and mu around 17.
  • The PCL805 is a good candidate for a spud amp.
  • The EL95 will do as an output valve.
  • And the PY82 is a perfectly capable rectifier.
Landing a stash of valves like that reminds me of an older cousin handing over their Lego that they had grown out of - I mixed it with my own stash and started building things I'd not previously imagined :)

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
All sorts of heater voltages, mostly singletons, the inspiration for dozens of experiments. :) Some of which were even GOOD!?!? Almost all of which taught me something (even if it was just DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!)

Attachments

• Caddy1.JPG
    Caddy1.JPG
    640 KB · Views: 29
  • Caddy2.JPG
    Caddy2.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Caddy3.JPG
    Caddy3.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: 1 user