Are there many people using BNC out there? or RG6 Quad Shield?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The RG6 Q/S (quad shield) co-ax cable that I was referring to in post #11 is the cable that you see in the US big-box home improvement stores and in the back of the cable TV installer's truck.

Attachments

• RG^ Quad Shield.jpg
    RG^ Quad Shield.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 158
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have thought about buying a few feet of Belden 1694A for my new interconnects.
My problem is trying to find silver body Bulkhead BNC Females with teflon dielectric and a gold plated pin.
I can find all sorts of other combinations of build materials.
For that matter RG400 50Ω Coaxial is very good for mating with BNC connectors.

I have thought about buying a few feet of Belden 1694A for my new interconnects.
My problem is trying to find silver body Bulkhead BNC Females with teflon dielectric and a gold plated pin.

I've found the plug, not sockets though: Oyaide DB-510/1.0 Digital Cable BNC-BNC Pure Silver Contact 1.0m | eBay

Maybe you could ask that seller a question and he could ask the manufacturer to see if they will sell you some sockets.

I can find all sorts of other combinations of build materials.
For that matter RG400 50Ω Coaxial is very good for mating with BNC connectors.

anything that is flexible has gotta be good if you need that sort of thing, I prefer my coax to be rigid though, as I've said in a previous post I was using RG-58 (flexible) on an RCA connector for a while and noticed just how little of an improvement it made to the sound over the cheap $12 rca cables that I bought, but it was an improvement none the less.

Now that is compared to cheap chinese rca cables, which considering the RG-58 was unused Antenna cable and cost me nothing was a good bonus, So I am going to not take any chances and simply use the RG-6 that I have on hand, but yes braided center conductors are a lot more convenient!

Which might sound silly to most of you, me using RG-6 quad over RG-58 or some other flexible coax? he must be nuts!

We should make sure that everyone who participates in this thread understand that the reason for me using RG-6 quad was because I had it on hand and because I have a fondness of the BNC connector vs RCA and that I wanted to go as large as possible with BNC so as to remove the possibility of RG-6 having a benefit over RG-58 when it comes to shielding.

There might have been a fondness of having a low as possible ohmage center conductor in there too. I like copper tis all.....and so does electricity it seems.

I live in a very RF active region having smart meters behind me and computers infront of me, 240v mains cabling through the walls around me, and cell phones on my desk, oh and ham radios, various ethernet cables strewn everywhere, dimmers, microphone cables, antenna leads... I could go on.

Last edited:
Hmm, not really, I was referring to the cable choice. I only use BNC when available. For sure, I doubt McIntosh used it early on just to be different and I assume they quit as a cost cutting measure along with other manufacturers. ;)

GM

Well I have settled on RG-6 for now and will be seeing what slight improvements if any that will be making as I intend upon installing them in my current amp and the tube amp that is soon to arrive.

I'm pretty sure that adding or removing capacitance and resistance to a circuit no matter how slight will affect audio especially at line levels of 1vPP, I'm just disappointed that there isn't a standardised open sourced testing database for cable materials and connector types.

As for bnc affecting electrical response of audio signals I think that it matters a great degree to the amount of friction that is applied to the center pin and what the center pin is made out of.

Now the reason why I am bagging RCA is because there is so much incredible variations in material quality and applied force and even resistance between one or the other on a small scale that it boggles the mind, ontop of that we are just improving on an already flawed and outdated design.

Why are we continuing to do that? just because RCA is the most popular isn't a good enough reason in my book.

With BNC I see this variation occuring far less often and on a far less scale, because the center pin on BNC must conform to specific dimensions or it won't fit into the socket and as for material types i am simply winging it, you would need a proper gold/silver tester inorder to tell if it is genuine.

Which is the long way of saying that I got sick and tired of buying supposedly good quality RCA connectors and having them break on me, getting conned yet again, with BNC there is less chance of that.

I just wish there was an easy way to do this, to know for sure that a certian material type or conductor type will affect audio quality in a certian way, but there is not, so we must live with what we have on hand which we believe will improve an electrical interconnect to the point that it doesn't matter, hence my use of RG-6 quad and BNC.

Last edited:
Well bnc plugs on the cable end are typically male, not female, so it would be that the male loses his grip and not the female, sorry to disappoint you but you've been looking at the male connector as a female.

lhk4o.jpg

^^^^^^ = Male.

or the male pin gets his pin bent, which is far more likely in my book on an RCA connector than it is on a BNC connector because the bnc connector has its pin protected, as seen above.

That right there is the only two ways that I can see it failing aside from the male connector losing its grip on the coax.

Which makes me curious as to how it can fail.... probably through simple clearance issues, wear and tear on the soft metal that makes up the tension nut, and on the female connector the two handles being worn down to the point that they don't have enough clearance anymore to grp and the plug just pops off.

That and center pin wear.

Last edited:
Well, a 5-1634502-2 as a 75ohm has a OD of 1.3mm.
And a 5-1634500-0 as a 50ohm has the same pin diameter...looks almost the same pin.

The centre conductor insert hole changes...
bigger for 50ohm... 1.1mm for RG-58
except for 50ohm RG-174...0.57mm
75ohm...0.7mm

So many options, so many part numbers

i bet there were differences between two different manufacturers and thats what wrecked the female pin.

50/75 should be interchangable, this is more of an issue with leads that are going to be transporting digital codecs, as far as i know, it might be a good idea for me to do tests comparing a 50 ohm lead and plugs with the 75 ohm variation, or for someone out there to do a signal response sweep of the audio band to differentiate between the most popular 50 ohm coax and the most popular 75 ohm coax, and see what variations there are if any in the audio band.

It might be wise if someone is going to be outfitting their entire system that they standardise on one brand, or at least do tests first, might be a good idea aswell to put the center pin on a set of calipers to give people an idea of what the variations are, and post that information here.

Destruction of one male plug might be necessary.

That way, if someone across the country wants to plug their cables and system into another that is across the country or across the world then they can be assured that no damage will be in their wake, and considering that some of this equipment costs quite a lot of money that might be a good thing. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day, short of no connector, the most 'bullet-proof' disconnect is the mil spec cannon connector, so if I wanted to switch to the best overall this is it based on all the test and real world data that's been accumulated for many decades [and wars] now.

GM

The center pin on a 75 ohm BNC should be the same diameter as on a 50 ohm one. The shield is also the same diameter. They can be plugged into each other without physical issue, other than the obvious impedance mismatch. Due to the fixed dimensions, the only way to change the impedance from the originally designed 50 ohm to 75 ohm is to change the dielectric. This is why a 75 ohm BNC (both male and female) omit the white plastic dielectric that you normally see, and uses air as the dielectric. Refer to this picture. If using 75 ohm cable, you should try to use 75 ohm BNC (both male and female). They should not be that hard to find, since they are very widely used in telecom.

IME, there is no 'one number' unless the military has already 'assembled' [had designed actually] what meets the needs of a specific app and I haven't had access to the master list since I retired in '94, so no clue now without 'assembling' them myself, which I have no need to do, though at a glance it looks like all the info required is there.

Me and other DIYers use to buy both loose connectors and/or harnesses, chassis with connectors still installed at military goods surplus stores, but all the electronics related stuff is long gone, at least in my locale. I imagine they are all on ebay now. Cannon/XLR microphone cable connectors would be a step up from BNC though.

GM

This is the "cannon" if you want to call it that, btw cannon is a brand name: PEI-Genesis Standard-K Connectors (formerly ITT Cannon)
And you need to make them to your own specifications based upon the sheet there that they give you.

http://www.connector-techals.com.au/datasheets/QKM00217-1424%20-%20Standard%20K.pdf

ITT Interconnect Solutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannon made these models and others: XLR History
Then they invented and released the XL connector and the rest is history, aka, XLR

Then there is: U.S. Military connector specifications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ITT Cannon PV MIL-DTL-26482 Series II

I'm settling on BNC for analog audio and video and digital audio, as for everything else I'm standardizing on optical interconnects for networking/ethernet.

/me salutes :sarge:

Time to hit the barracks I think.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.