Are there any way of turning DC to AC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jacquesl said:

Only caps and transistors?

Lol, sorry, it’s actually supposed to be “Caps and Transformers” and No tunnel diodes, It looks like one of those pizza eating and typing moments.

Yip I did one mechanically it an oscillator with a relay and a cap it and some wiring. Is variable then changing the voltage or cap size, but it’s very unstable and sensitive, and the relay can cause an interference on the low frequency band

But can this be done with a small 1:1 transformer.

99% sure without using any type of switching device (electronic or mechanical) you are limited to a generator.

If you get a sort-of good AC from some other method, putting this through a ferroresonant transformer ($$$$$) will go a long way to clean it up into a fairly good sine wave.

You may find frequency regulation to be your biggest problem without active switches.

May we all ask, WHY?

It doesn’t have to be a sine wave, I’ll choose square wave to begin with.

I basically want to build an inverter that uses the minimal amount of parts and also the cheapest and it must give a usable clean AC output.

And to get the 12V to 230V, there’s two ways.

(1) Will be to use a transformer
(2) Will be to use caps in parallel charge and series dumping

What will be the cheapest?

And also the stable section, to keep the voltage fixed at a given value, like 230VAC or 110VAC, how is this done?

The simplest solid state way is similar to the old technique of using two transistors driving a transformer at 60hz. In the old days the circuit self-oscillated and used bipolar power transistors. MOSFETs would be an improvement in the methodology. You could use a 555 timer, but I would use a CD40106 to produce a square wave close to 60hz. Run the output of the oscillator gate of the CD40106 to another CD40106 gate to buffer it to drive one MOSFET gate, and a pair of CD40106 gates in series to drive the other MOSFET gate. Both MOSFETs drive a center tap transformer. The center tap connects to 12VDC.

You would need just the right transformer for the task. You could probably take an old microwave oven transformer, cut off the high voltage secondary winding, and then wind your own center tap winding in such a way to obtain the needed voltage on the original primary. If you need +/- output voltages, you can use a diode/capacitor voltage doubler. Keep studying your basics, too.

Someone on my group also did an inverter circuit. The Internet host of the group does not allow non-members to view the files so it would not help much for me to post a link to diagrams.

Yip, I have a variable 555 IC oscillator, I just it for some of my experiments
I’ve seen that you can use something like 17Khz and just 6 windings and it’s just as good as thousand of turns at 60hz, do you know a formula to calculate the frequency and windings ratio’s, I’ve also noticed that the transistor heats up very quickly, I will like to know why? I use the 2N3055 ones and “I use a heat sink”, if anyone asks

Yip, I have a variable 555 IC oscillator, I just it for some of my experiments
I’ve seen that you can use something like 17Khz and just 6 windings and it’s just as good as thousand of turns at 60hz, do you know a formula to calculate the frequency and windings ratio’s, I’ve also noticed that the transistor heats up very quickly, I will like to know why? I use the 2N3055 ones and “I use a heat sink”, if anyone asks

It should work much better for you to use MOSFETs instead of bipolar transistors. I have determined minimum primary turns needed by adding some turns to the transformer core. Use a current limiting power supply and then drive the core with a bridge circuit. If the no-load impedance is too low, then add some turns. Give it some extra margin. You don't want to drive the transformer at the point of no-load saturation as I figure things. I could be wrong here, but I have done it this way. Most of my circuits have plenty of primary inductance, so it never becomes an issue for me.

Full bridge at 12v is not efficient like push-pull, but for lazy work to get quick results, it is easier than dealing with flyback spikes from leakage inductance.

I have seen a 12v power supply using what has been commonly known as "flyback" used in old Zenith television sets, but they have trouble with low efficiency.

I did two designs about 30 years ago based on a 555 and a couple of 2N3055's. The 555 was set as a 50% duty cycle oscillator. A small signal transistor created the inversion for the other side.

1. A solid state vibrator for a Blaupunkt tube car radio.
2. The other was for an inverter for a telescope. Frequency was important.

I’ve seen that you can use something like 17Khz and just 6 windings and it’s just as good as thousand of turns at 60hz, do you know a formula to calculate the frequency and windings ratio’s, I’ve also noticed that the transistor heats up very quickly, I will like to know why?

Actually, winding impedance is directly proportional to the frequency and directly proportional to the square of the turns. Going from 60hz to 16000hz is an increase by a factor of 267, which is the multiple of the increase in impedance.

But since adding turns increases the impedance in proportion to the square function, it only takes the sqrt(267) times 6 turns to get the same impedance, or 98 turns.

I wouldn't say there is a simple formula for you since one of the variables is core permeability. Here is a statement from Amidon Associates: "Ferrite Cores are available in numerous sizes and several permeabilities. Their permeability range is from 20 to more than 15000." I don't use formulas because my sources of transformer cores are surplus, and I don't know the permeability. I could get mu experimentally, but it is easier to just change the winding in the needed circuit to get the behavior I want.

The transistor overheating has many possible causes.

The only reason why I’m using the 2N3055, it’s because I don’t have access to all the electronics shops it’s a couple of hours away from me but, like you’ve said MOSFET’s will work better, that makes sense now to me, and linear circuits what will that be, like amps?

Yup, they are better for amps and linear power supplies. Those transistors were also popularly used in low frequency inverters many years ago. Twenty-five years ago, I made an automobile ignition circuit out of them to pass current through the ignition coil when the points closed. It prevented the points from burning up, which was a problem with those non-electronic ignition systems.

I am going to go ahead and invite you to join my group referenced at the link below. Then I will can help you advance more effectively.

Three reasons for high frequency transformers are that they permit smaller size as you mentioned earlier, that the higher frequencies they operate at make ripple easier to filter, and that they usually operate above the audible range.

The disadvantages of those transformers include more EMI production which interferes with radio wave reception and other electronic device functionality. Another is that it is more difficult to switch semiconductor devices faster, as high frequency transformers require, except in the case of zero voltage switching, which is my favorite method. A third is that higher frequencies generally cause greater power dissipation in semiconductors, and since those transformers need circuitry to drive them, semiconductors are the usually the most effective devices to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.