Arcam cd8se help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Well a BC547 will work, it is a leaded part. But I don't see how this would be easier than just replacing the existing SOT23 part, they are not that hard to replace if you have a fine soldering iron. Other wise you will have to solder the leads of the BC547 to the pads of a SOT23 I would think that would be even more difficult than just replacing it.

Mooly, sorry I overreacted, I am just fed up of people always assuming manufacturers are trying to screw them. It is very difficult to make money building HiFi products and even more difficult to support the customers well and ARCAM really do do their best.

Regards,
Andrew

Well i,ve removed the part. I prefer a normal transistor Andrew because my soldering iron is not that small and I can solder the legs to the pad on the regulator and on a resistor which have more room for me, otherwise I would end up with one big clump of solder. And I shake! I'm just going to look at all my failed repairs to see if I can find one, if not I will order from Maplins. I am excited and want to try to fix it now like Mooly says. I will report back. Barry

Hi Mooly,

:cheers:

Consider hands shaken :)

I know the - want it to work now feeling.

As you have said just about any general purpose npn will do if you can attach it to the pads without damaging them. Certainly any of the BC54x range or even a BC108 if you have one lying arround. The transistor is configured as a voltage dropper. Once you have replaced it check how hot it gets as if something in the following circuit is drawing to much current it will just overheat and blow again.

Regards,
Andrew

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Barry, do you know how to read a transistor on your meter ?

If it's a digital meter use the "diode" range and with the red lead on the base and the black on the collector it should read around 0.700 which is the meter showing the volt drop (700mv) across the C-B junction. Now put the black lead on the emitter and it should read similar. Now put the black lead on the base and the red on collector and then emitter and it should not read (meter shows whatever yours does for open circuit, maybe OL or 1.999)

Glad to hear that your player was repaired Barry. Is it still running well?

I might be asking for the collective knowledge of you guys in the near future, as I've just bought an Alpha 9 CDP sold as faulty. The seller described it as making a clicking noise whenever a disc is inserted, so I'm putting 2 and 2 together and thinking it could be the laser going mad at the end of its travel, possibly in the same manner as Barry's 8se. For all I know though, the laser might simply need a clean.

Andrew - as an Arcam employee, can you comment on whether the 9 is similarly effected as per Barry's 8se?

I saw the 9 on eBay last night and jumped on it, thinking it'd be a simple laser change. However, the more I read the more sinister it sounds like it's going to turn out to be!

I've seen several reports of 7s and 8s behaving this way, but none about the 9.

Hi everyone in there and thanks for your precious help.

My 8SE has gone bad a few weeks ago.
Symptoms where the same, first some unwanted noises then noise all the time and after a couple of weeks, no more reading of the CDs at all.

After reading this topic, i requested the shematics to Arcam (received 4 Hours after, thanks to them !) and measured Q6, it was faulty.

I changed Q6 with the same CMS part and now everything is Ok.

Thanks once again to all of you there for your precious help !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.