Arcam alpha one Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a proper look last night and it seemes like the problem is with the motor. It has difficulty starting but when it gets going it's fine. Someone suggested putting a reverse charge through it so the motor spins backwards and that this can dislodge any gunk on the inside of the motor. I also tried to get some contact cleaner sprayed inside. Initially it seemd to work perfectly but then it became less and less able to start up a new cd and soeties it couldn't at all. Opening and closing the drawer seemed to make it work soetimes but I want to fix it properly before I begin moddig it.

I think it's a sony KSS240a mechanism. I can find replacement lasers but not the housing for it which has the disc motor. TBH I don't know what this is called...is it the transport?

Any idea where I can find a housing for this laser?

i think is about laser block, if you motor is working good at time, it seems to be a logical problem , on this transport mechanism all logic are integrated to the block laser !

just change it with a brand new ,

about housing, you have to identify which kind of cdm you got , its writen on it

Hi everyone. I recently purchased Arcam Alpha One CD player from second hand market. The plan is to hook it up to my Arcam Delta Blackbox DAC as a transport. Apparently no sound come out when I connect the digital cable to the CD player. It works fine if I connect it direct (audio out) to the amp. Test other transport - so far working hence it could not be the DAC. What could be the causes?

No if you're working on a Arcam Alpha One you don't. This player uses a Sony KSS-240A. If your player has a CDM-4 then it's the vastly different Arcam Alpha (with no 'one').

Besides, orix102's problem has nothing to do with the transport, it's an issue with the DAC.
Yes, there are versions with different equipment:
Arcam Alpha I with Philips CDM4 amd Philips SAA/TDA parts for Servo, MCU and decoding
Inside Classic Audio: Arcam Alpha
Arcam Alpha ONE with Sony mechanism and laser head KSS240A (14th image)
Oportunidades Básicas

By the version with SONY optical head and SONY ICs one must find out the associated SONY model to get a helpful service manual (service manuals from the english brands rather simplified schematics and often incomplete).

Last edited:
By the version with SONY optical head and SONY ICs one must find out the associated SONY model to get a helpful service manual (service manuals from the english brands rather simplified schematics and often incomplete).

By post #3 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/160033-sony-ks-240a-focus-ok-signal-check.html
there are mentioned various SONY models
check also this threads:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/159089-arcam-alpha-9-help-needed-6.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-associated-mechanism-wanted.html#post2927636

Last edited:
No, there is no 'I', no '1' or 'One', there is nothing, it is called an Arcam Alpha. They are not different versions, they are completely different players and were released some time apart. The blog you quoted is written by me, I'm fairly familiar with it.
about Arcam's homepage
Discontinued Products
this (and some other) model isn't mentioned
I think, you mean either the device from the first two attached pics, found by ebay item number 330647951301
(on the rear side no model number is to read at any sticker) or the third pic, also without 'I', '1', 'One' or any other additional number resp. suffix.

Do you now a website, where is to find a complete list of all exist models?

Attachments

• Arcam alpha front.JPG
    Arcam alpha front.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Arcam alpha rear.JPG
    Arcam alpha rear.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Arcam Alpha front II.jpg
    Arcam Alpha front II.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I too have one of these "Arcam Alpha One" that tiefbassuebertr has posted here in his first pic. It seems the only place the "One" is written is on the CD drawer. Furthermore, like irishiranian, the CD has trouble starting up. I have taken the lid off and it is possible to give the CD a flick and it usually gets going, but not really a solution.

I am still not clear however who's transport we think it uses? Who might supply whichever transport it is in the UK?

Thanks.

I too have one of these "Arcam Alpha One" that tiefbassuebertr has posted here in his first pic. It seems the only place the "One" is written is on the CD drawer. Furthermore, like irishiranian, the CD has trouble starting up. I have taken the lid off and it is possible to give the CD a flick and it usually gets going, but not really a solution.

I am still not clear however who's transport we think it uses? Who might supply whichever transport it is in the UK?

Thanks.

That sounds like a stiff motor shaft from your Mabuchi spindle motor (disc motor).
The shaft needs lubrication. If you observe a success, replace the spindle motor that must have similar outline than that one from the jpg attachement.

Attachments

• Mabuchi Spindle motor.jpg
    Mabuchi Spindle motor.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 118
That sounds like a stiff motor shaft from your Mabuchi spindle motor (disc motor).
The shaft needs lubrication. If you observe a success, replace the spindle motor that must have similar outline than that one from the jpg attachement.

I dug it out (ARCAM Alpha One) from the bottom of the mending pile and had a poke about and it is worse than I remembered. Now, although the CD tray goes in, the hinged laser/PCB/motor assembly does not come up fully and engage with the cd. There seems to be something in the way in an area I cant see as I cannot push it up to engage either. It feels like some tab that is meant to flick out of the way isnt. Of course it is all happening in an area you cant see into.

Any ideas? Can one source the whole assembly and replace it?

I dug it out (ARCAM Alpha One) from the bottom of the mending pile and had a poke about and it is worse than I remembered. Now, although the CD tray goes in, the hinged laser/PCB/motor assembly does not come up fully and engage with the cd. There seems to be something in the way in an area I cant see as I cannot push it up to engage either. It feels like some tab that is meant to flick out of the way isnt. Of course it is all happening in an area you cant see into.

Any ideas? Can one source the whole assembly and replace it?

Please let me know follow:
What do you read on the sticker from your loader?
Which optical pick-up is in use (maybe from Sony's KSS series) ?
Which ICs are in use on the main board (servo processor, RF-amp, PCM decoder) ?
After we know this, next step is to find out the appropriate cd player model resp. hifi system, e. g. from Sony, which use the same parts - at least the same loader model.
In the associated service manual to one of this models you probably will find the detailled advices concerning the theory of operation - even from the loader and mechanism.

Descriptions and manuals of cd players "Made in U.K." are known, that they are not particularly detailed.

Please let me know follow:
What do you read on the sticker from your loader?
Which optical pick-up is in use (maybe from Sony's KSS series) ?
Which ICs are in use on the main board (servo processor, RF-amp, PCM decoder) ?
After we know this, next step is to find out the appropriate cd player model resp. hifi system, e. g. from Sony, which use the same parts - at least the same loader model.
In the associated service manual to one of this models you probably will find the detailled advices concerning the theory of operation - even from the loader and mechanism.

Descriptions and manuals of cd players "Made in U.K." are known, that they are not particularly detailed.

The laser is a KSS-240A and the spindle motor has partnumber RF-310T-11400

There seems to be at lest two problems.

1) The motor that pulls the tray also lifts the laser and spindle motor to the CD via a cam arrangement in a turning cylinder. For some reason it gets stuck half way. The tray motor valiantly continues trying for a while and then gives up. If I give it a helping hand by turning the large gear which also turns the cam the laser/spindle it comes up as it should to engage with the CD.

2) Next the spindle motor gives the faintest of kicks and then gives up. Flicking the CD to get it going does nothing. So it could be that the motor is dead or something wrong with the control signal and/or supply

Given there are at least two problems perhaps I should be looking for a new whole transport/tray/laser/spindle thingy?

Simon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.