Anything under $50/driver that will provide bass at loud levels in a 0.15 cu.ft.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Man, I always bring my impossible requirements to this forum because you folks are SO SMART!
And I know what I want is basically impossible. But I would appreciate any suggestions regardless.

Enclosure size: 0.167 cubic feet internal volume (cannot be made larger. Alignment can only be ported or sealed. Cannot do any aperiodic or other nifty things.

Needs: Must provide fun midbass for rock'n'roll listening outdoors in various environments. At respectable-to-loud volumes. :crazy:

Budget: This midrange driver cannot be more than $40/each. Maybe $50 if it's waaaay cool.

Speaker size: Cannot be larger than 6.75". A 7" *might* fit.

What I've got on my wishlist so far:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs180s-8-7-reference-shielded-woofer-8-ohm--295-364

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc160-8-6-1-2-classic-woofer--295-305

http://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fw168-6-1-2-aluminum-midwoofer-speaker--296-729

http://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ld-sds-series-5-1-4-subwoofer-driver--299-125

Hey, found a winner! I realized I had missed one page of options on parts-express and that's where I found this driver:

Dayton Audio DS135-8 5" Designer Series Woofer Speaker
Vented Volume @ 0.15 ft.³
Vented F3 @ 66 Hz
Sensitivity @ 86 db.
Dayton Audio DS135-8 5" Designer Series Woofer Speaker

I doubt that it'll really get as loud as I want it to, but with my small enclosure requirements, I'm kinda stuck. This should at least give me a full range of sound.

Now I just need to look around to see if there are any existing crossover's designed for this + an inexpensive tweeter.

Last edited:
5-1/4" Aurum Cantus AC-130F1 @ ~55USD/each is a killer! bass is adequate if tuned properly and the midrange is breath-taking. looking to find a similar performer - price no object - was a vain attempt.

Thanks, Dave. But this isn't an audiophile project. It just needs to sound "good" and be for rock and roll. That driver looks nice but also appears more suited for slightly larger enclosures than what I can work with here.

Well, I couldn't find any crossovers for the one driver I liked.
So the driver linked above looks like a good choice, since it appears to be part of a well known two-way designed by Paul Carmody, called the Classix II.
Here's the kit:
Classix II Kit Pr

Sounds like its a great rock and roll speaker.
BUT, the tweeter it uses is too large. I think I'm going to ask around if there is a smaller overall-diameter tweeter than can be substituted. I think 2" overall diameter is the maximum I can do on this project.

Anarchy = too expensive, but wow it looks good. I know it was part of a very popular two-way back in the Adire Audio days.

The Overnight Sensation would be perfect for this project. But I'm stuck on it being designed for near-field and the fact it can't really handle more than ~10 watts before exceeding xmax.
This project will be used outdoors just as much as indoors. And volume levels are fairly important.

The Tang Band look nice but also exceed budget (need to build four of these suckers).

The W5-876SE is sweet! But 16ohms and not available without searching the used market. Ugh.

You guys are really helping. Thanks a bunch for all these great suggestions!!

SPL and Excursion comparisons.
Overnight Sensations @ 10W vs. Exodus @ 50W vs. Peerless @ 50W.

Overnight Sensations hit Xmax at just 10 watts.
The other two drivers would need a lot more than 50 watts before they hit xMax. Looks like they are both capable of getting MUCH louder than the sensations.
That Peerless may be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you. :)

Each of these were modeled in a .15 cu.ft. enclosure at whatever default SBB4 fs WinISD defaulted them to.

Attachments

• SPL.jpg
    SPL.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 235
  • EXCURSION.jpg
    EXCURSION.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 226
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.