Anyone with a Carver PM-175 Diagram?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you

Very nice indeed, I have checked this site and found some interesting schematics very like the triac circuit in the PM1.5, I think that the fault I have in my amp is a rather common problem so I hope that I can get the right cure for this old Carver.

Thank you

One last warning: if you apply full AC to the mag coil, the supplies will be way too high and the damage will be impressive.

I did this to my M1.0 and the amp did not remain plugged in long:hot: . The wires schriveled up and some magic smoke came out.

The first problem I had was a cap on the input board was bad.
I replaced that cap and the amp worked fine for another year then one night my wife turned off the t.v. and the Carver went crazy.BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ on one side, and at full power.
I found the drivers bad on the one side and replaced them with the Carver replacements. Powered it up and started to check the bias.
Everything seemed to be fine but nooooo. :bawling:
Now I do not even have the rail voltage so I shorted across the triac and boom I have rail voltage. End of amp.

So can I use the transformer in the Carver as a transformer? I am asking DJK or Anatech or anyone that knows.

I have been using it in a Leach amp.

Steve

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi serosmaness,
No. Not unless you power the mag coil (not a normal transformer) through a triac controller. The Carver amps use a variable phase angle to regulate the secondary voltages. The triac is also shut down by the protection circuit to limit damage. (it does that very well)
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kamskoma,
The sound you heard originally was the power supply trying to come up but the protection circuit was limiting the current (small conduction angle on the triac) since a fault was detected. I can't remember where the orange wire would go offhand.
This design is very safe unless you do silly things with it. Also, the commutator timing is set for bass or full range. You can not run this amp as a mid/high or tweeter amp. It'll blow up if you do because the voltages will lock up high and the unit will go into thermal runaway.

BTW. The PM and M series were very similar. The PM series may have included a fan and XLR inputs, along with level controls. Otherwise they are almost the same. The "t" suffix stood for Transfer function modified. Mostly a resistor in series with the output to reduce the damping factor. I don't know what else may have been changed. TFM came next meaning the same thing.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh man!
Didn't you notice the heavier current draw with no load?? The core likely gets a bit warm too. You will eventually destroy the mag coil, I'm surprised it's still with you.
A triac dimmer would not work reliably. You need to ensure equal conduction angles for + and - cycles to avoid a DC flux in the core. This thing is very reactive. You could copy any of the Carver power supplies without the feedback function or protection. That would make it run okay. You will notice it then draws very little current.

Remember, mag coils do not like sine waves. They will draw excessive current.

-Chris

Thanks again anatech
I will look for a replacement.
Right now a friend was the amp.
When I connected the primary to 110v it hummed loudly and put out high voltage so i put the " primary windings" in series and got 49 v out on the "secondary" It hummed but less than when the Carver was working normal.
I will change the transformer.:)

Thanks again
Steve

Mag coil

What is this magnetic trasformatore a magic component or a useful voltage regulating device that can be used for a high power regulated supply I think this would be perfect for any DIY:er on the workbench a few components will make a really good power supply or???

Thanks for any down to earth troubleshooting tip, I will check out the capasitores in the primary pcb.

Kamskoma

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A mag coil as applied to Carver is a little different than the self regulating type (saturable core reactor). It is similar in that the current waveform is anything but a sine. Most transformers will draw heavy current when sent a square wave, the Carver kinda likes retangular waveforms.
Yes it's a magic part compared to what we are used to seeing. Yes, it would make an interesting bench supply. It may need a minimum load current, some Carver supplies had uneven firing problems under light load.
-Chris

Carver troubleshooting

Hi,

I will go on with the troubleshooting research, trying to found whats wrong, a good help is the manual without this document I had blown the sh.t to amplifiers heaven tomorrow I shall short the TRIAC and drive the primary with a Heavy Duty Variac I will give this sh.t two hours and if I found the problem I will post some history.

If this beast of burden not will work after my kind treatment I will compress it to a small thin piece of sh.t

A bored Kamskoma

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kamskoma,
Remember that you only need 40VAC on a Carver designed for the 120 VAC market. You may get fault current flow much lower, so watch the current and the board (for smoke).

You might try to run around the pcb with your meter on diode test to pick out the easy dead stuff.

-Chris

Fluke

Hi,

Yes Sir, I run my Fluke multimeter trying to sort out the bad guys, also I run my ESR Capmeter to check bad capacitors those ugly f..ing things with acid into a alu metal can.

I must say that Carver is was a brave guy exporting this type of amplifier around the globe, I wouldn't dare to do the same a "magnetic power supply" ouch!

The Kamskoma

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kamskoma,
Well, you have an excellent meter to use. That's one point in your favour. I wouldn't worry about the ESR meter. That's not how Carvers normally fail, unless you are talking about the main filter caps (many of them).

The unique power supply is daunting at first but it's actually a good reliable design. The biggest fear are technicians misadjusting things. This supply preregulates the AC coming in so the amp has more stable characteristics than normal amps may.

Once you figure out how the thing works is easier to deal with than those receivers with the power on relay. Make sure the triac is not shorted now that I think of it.

I enjoy working on most Carver amps except the PM175 and down where everything is harder to get to.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.