Anyone using Fountek NeoCD 2.0 5" ribbons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes. At 3.5k, there does appear to be a little action in the unfiltered response of the driver. If you are use to ESL and planar speakers, you might as well give it up. Everybody knows that nothing compares. If the Satorinis not up to snuff, you can try the 18h SDKM that Troels uses in his ATS speakers. Accuton also has their midrange that shows uber low distortion and quick decay. If really shooting the moon, I would suggest looking at some of the Raal ribbons. You have a nice pedigree that you are comparing to. I would argue that perhaps it's uneccesary to build speakers with what you have already. If they work and you are sensitive to what's at come speakers bring to the table, why mess. There are a couple of designs that use the NeO3pdr as a midrange. Have you considered it as a potential candidate.

I like the challenge; it's fun to build things. Plus, I need a pair of smaller speakers for my bedroom.

I think crossing over to the AMTPRO-4 at 1500 Hz or even 1200 will give me essentially what I want. This sends the frequencies I'm most sensitive to a driver with fast settling time. The Satori driver is a very good driver, and it's just a matter of getting it to work for my purposes.

I originally had hoped to cross over to the Fountek at 3.5 or 3.0 kHz, but that just didn't work. This thread really was an attempt to find out how people are using the Fountek, not so much a thread about the Satori.

Perhaps I am reading the graph wrong, but it looks like the Satori is settling as fast if not faster than the Cantus you posted. While the 3.5k energy is there, I would imagine that with a crossover in place, this bump and its accompanying issue would be pushed down and out of the picture unless you were using a first order filter. Even then, if you started rolling it off earlier, you would probably find that it was largely not a problem.
From what I have heard, the Satori is an incredibly capable driver and Jeff Bagby is confident enough in its speed and ability that he is crossing it to a Raal 70-20xr. I think he is coming in around the 1800 mark on his, but is using a shallow slope and stated that the Satori was capable of higher, but this is what worked best. Check his thread out. It gives some tertiary info about the combo. He even has a MTM version

Some would argue that stiff, low mass comes offer more detail retrieval ability. If your look at the top of the line Scan Speak Illuminator, you could argue that it's waterfall looks better than the Satori, but if you then look at the distortion numbers, you see a significant advantage for the Satori. Where the Scan Speak drivers often excel is in their motor perfoance when pushed. On the audio excite website, you have proof that the Satori is holding up extreme well, even at 95dB, so I not even sure the SS wins in this regard. The SB17mcf has a similar waterfall to the SS, but seems to beat it in distortion. Here I would expect the SS to show its pedigree over the lesser SB when pushed by dynamic passages in music.

Mark makes excellent drivers but I wonder if the motors are on the same level as these drivers, meaning I think they may loose when pushed. I am very interested to see how these ribbons turn out. I would love to find one to use for less than Raal that performs in a similar way.

Hi,

I have to agree with "milosz" that the Satori doesn't sound at its best when used above 2.5kHz.

I've used the Satori quite extensively in different configurations and it works best around 2-2.5kHz. It has some frequency issues around 3.5-4kHz that can be noticed if crossed-over to high and with shallow sloped x-overs.

Also the 2nd order distortion profile rises above 2.5kHz and even though it's not bad as odd-order distortion it does add some coloration or "unique" sound character.

The Satori driver is very good, but it's not the "holy grail" and it has some imperfections as well.

Regards

/Göran

Mark makes excellent drivers but I wonder if the motors are on the same level as these drivers, meaning I think they may loose when pushed. I am very interested to see how these ribbons turn out. I would love to find one to use for less than Raal that performs in a similar way.

I was thinking to match the smaller RAAL with the 12PW but I think I'm right in saying the RAAL has a 'built in' steep roll off? Which wd mean a simple 1st on the MA driver might not work

Personally I think a 6" woofer with most ribbons is pushing it (narrowing and beaming of woofer output at higher frequencies is noticeable, even if THD is good, most just quack away).
If the tweeter is voiced a little too hot,its hard to notice, but as soon as the levels are balanced its immediately obvious.
With my limited experience (5" midbass and fountek cd3.5h) its difficult territory for even a 5" driver. I am thoroughly convinced that 4" or less is best, which of course has its own issues. The fountek 3.5 has output to below 2k, but with a cavity resonance around that point, 3k is as low as id dare go. That demands an outstanding 6" or smaller, and even then the beaming is still an issue. My solution (future project) is a 3 way, 8", 3", ribbon (400hz and 4k). Ive given up thinking that beaming of woofer will disappear, just because the FR plot looks outstanding.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.