Anyone use this clock upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bocka said:
Sometimes I ask myself why not using a low phase noise oscillator IC with (inherent) low jitter and build your own clock. Only my 2 ct.

Hi

Since you have to rely on the manufacturers spec (and your power supply and some other things) to know about the resulting jitter, you are lost untill you can measure the jitter.

Since manufacturers do not specify the jitter in a way that is relevant for audio conversion, measuring the jitter is the first requirement to come to a good result. The ear can fool you easilly......

best

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Guido Tent said:

JP

How would you generate a square wave then ?

You missed the smileys. I tried the same reasoning as others did in this thread.

Guido Tent said:

The ear can fool you easily......

I forgot who it was ( NP ? ) but he once said: if it sounds good it IS good.

A killing approach for scientific research, I know. On the other side there are the devices with fantastic specs that don't sound good. There must be room for something in between.

You completely miss the point, J-P.......

1.) ".........it just might be a tad better........."

Yeah, just might. And if so, just barely. Hardly worth $3, let alone $30.

(They can take the XTAL of of their player....buy $3 in parts, and get the same results.)

2.) The point of orign has nothing to do with macro-economics. It has to do with a common misapprehension among the Chinese culture that ppm is the end all, be all. Even all of my American Chinese friends think exactly the same way. If they want to believe that, then fine. Anyone who gets sucked in by it has been warned. Many times.

Jocko

hi,all

I am a Moderator of the Hifidiy.net forum,my ID is С¹íÍ·. the administrator of Hifidiy.net forum is Сǯ×Ó which my dear friend. All my communication with him is through the internet ;)

I know some of the clock details.

the Xtal is produced by the Chinese high-quality factory,and OEM for the Hifidiy.net.it is made of high Q crystal whith simple osc circuit.In my mind,the Q of crystal should be over 100,000(I don't know the precision figure of it,but Сǯ×Ó told me that the most Q of fundamental frequency crystal which the factory can supply is 800,000)

the power circuit of clock is designed by my another friend,basing on his experiences of modify digital audio.

regards

X.G.

X.G. said:
hi,all

I am a Moderator of the Hifidiy.net forum,my ID is С¹íÍ·. the administrator of Hifidiy.net forum is Сǯ×Ó which my dear friend. All my communication with him is through the internet ;)

I know some of the clock details.

the Xtal is produced by the Chinese high-quality factory,and OEM for the Hifidiy.net.it is made of high Q crystal whith simple osc circuit.In my mind,the Q of crystal should be over 100,000(I don't know the precision figure of it,but Сǯ×Ó told me that the most Q of fundamental frequency crystal which the factory can supply is 800,000)

the power circuit of clock is designed by my another friend,basing on his experiences of modify digital audio.

regards

X.G.

Hi XG

Thanks for details

The resulting Q depends on the active circuit, not only the crystal. A Q of 100.000 is not needed in my experience, by the way, to obtain low cycle-to-cycle jitter. The LF jitter obviously is affected by the power supply, Q doesn't help you here, neither does an LM317.....

Do you have measerements on the jitter of the module ?

best

See, I was right.........

Elso............!

the Xtal is produced by the Chinese high-quality factory,and OEM for the Hifidiy.net.it is made of high Q crystal whith simple osc circuit.

So.......it is a canned oscillator.........right?

"Simple oscillator circuit". Translation: you can build the same damn thing yourself for less.

And what else did I allude to: an obsession with "quality" parts = "quality" performance. Here, quality means low jitter, and these guys most likely miss the boat.

I'm gonna go water the lawn..........this is pointless.

Jocko

Re: See, I was right.........

Guido Tent said:

The resulting Q depends on the active circuit
yes,I follow you.but I think the the resulting Q depends on the active circuit as well. lower the crystal Q is ,lower the resulting Q.

Guido Tent said:
The resulting Q depends on the active circuit, not only the crystal. A Q of 100.000 is not needed in my experience, by the way, to obtain low cycle-to-cycle jitter.
I have no experience for that.but the Lusson equation tell us that the phase noise depends on the the resulting Q deeply.

Guido Tent said:

The LF jitter obviously is affected by the power supply, Q doesn't help you here, neither does an LM317.....
the LF phase noise/jitter is product of the circuit modulated by the LF noise.why do you say the LM317 can not help?maybe you mean the un-regulator is better:D .....

everybody can improve the clock power,of couse

Guido Tent said:
Do you have measerements on the jitter of the module
No.I don't.the Hifidiy.net forum can not as well,because it is the groups area of Chinese DIYer which every member have no enough money to buy the test equiment :dead:

somebody tell me that he was pleased withr the practice result of the hifidiy clock.

in your words,maybe you want ot show us your test equiment for that:D

Jocko Homo said:
Of course, not, you silly boy..............

BTW: stock Philips XTAL has a Q around 100,000. So there..........

Jocko

IIRC,you said early that the the Philips XTAL has a Q around 150,000,not 100,000.;)

Jocko Homo said:
"Simple oscillator circuit". Translation: you can build the same damn thing yourself for less.
the can Xtal is from the Chinese factory.we cannot use our osc circuit in that.the Chinese factory can supply the complicated circuit's can Xtal,but it is much more expensive and its type is like TCXO which have some useless circuit you dislike;)

This confirms my first impression (see post #2) that this clock is a decent design and product, especially if we take its cost of $30 in to consideration.

Extreme_Boky

Cascading of LM317 does not seemes to be a professional solution. Maybe replace it with some advanced, low noise linear regulator chip could be better. Many of these things are available at this distributor: www.icbase.com , Wuhan P&S (LiYuan) Co.,LTD.

Four legged XTAL (with internal oscillator) from a manufacturer making aerospace components should be something good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.