Anyone up for a UK diyAudio Meet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
poynton said:

That depends on whether you would bring along your sunami-inducing multi-driver speakers (or haven't you finished them yet ?)

Andy

The project for extra bass went on hold. To be honest I've found the bass is now adequate, the main improvemen coming from all the CD63 upgrades I've recently done. I am going to try building speakers with 4 x 7" drivers for a friend's new home cinema system though! ;)

Simon

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Wow, lots of interest here.

I for one am definitely in. DIYing loudspeakers is a lonely business around my parts so meeting up to enjoy the company of like minded nutters sounds great to me.

Al already knows the details but I'll throw it out there again:

I have FOC access to a large venue with 3 rooms, one of which is a good sized lounge another is a rather large hall with a stage and the final one is yet another hall about the size of a five a side football pitch. To the rear of the building is a large concreted playground area. The building itself is detached and its no concern about noise so we would have the option of playing stupidly loud.
The building is located in the suburbs of Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

So just thought that might be another possibility for some, eitherway I'll go with whatever suits the masses, providing we can arrange a suitable date and that it isn't too far a drive.

I've got a couple of interesting bits of kit I could bring along, including the PC and projector to demo room correction and PCXO FIR filtering in conjunction with others loudspeaker designs - it would be interesting to see how much things can or cannot be improved. I also have a reliable and fairly accurate test jig so could measure drivers and loudspeakers if there's any interest in that. But sadly I don't currently have any DIY loudspeakers I can bring along but if I get my backside in gear that might change by Summer, if not I could bring some KEF Reference 201's for comparison. Also have a four channel amp based on Aussieamp NX150 Synergy modules running in class A for 50w per channel.

rowemeister said:

:bigeyes:

:fim: should you really be telling us this LOL

Brent

Lol YA i don't really care tbh :D

Id love to hear some other gear, mainly speakers, as as much as (lots of as's) i love my modded monitor audios, i want more, but don't wana spend £1k on some dynaudios that ive taken a fancy to. Plus at a meet i could show off my lovely millett hybrid and HF-1 combo !

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Flying visit...

Ant's place sounds good, I just didn't want to assume it was available without his confirmation. The small room for critical listening, the medium size for mucking around, and the large would be good to set up as a testing suite, that big, gating should be pretty straightforward!

What do other people think of Chesterfield? I suppose we would also need to sort out local accommodation. Is there a nearby pub for ash_dac's pork scratchings? ;)

On another point, would you like me to try and sort out some supplier presence?

:edit:

I can see a Marantz modding showdown as one attraction. ;)

I'm a student in the electronics department at York university and the events organiser for our IEEE branch...

I could ask around and see if I can find some rooms here for a meet up if enough people wanted to come... it might also be easier to get suppliers along to a univeristy.

There are rooms to sleep in at the university that can be rented by the public, they're usually free during the holidays I think.

Our electronics department actually has a section devoted to audio electronics... I haven't explored that floor yet. They must have some good rooms in there.

There's a good chance I would be able to get the exhibition rooms for free if I sell it as a chance for the students to check things out... quite a lot of people here are interested in audio.

York is fairly well placed in the middle of the country and there's a futuristic bus with a 'pilot' and sound effects rather than a bell that stops outside the station that'll bring people to the doorstep of the university. It also has an automatic ticket machine that has been the source of much anger in York. That, combined with watching tourists try to talk to the driver, errr pilot, through the plastic shielding around him, makes for a fun bus journey.

York has 9,637 pubs and tea shops. Which is impressive, as only 8 people live here. Fact.

Central London > Chesterfield 160miles
Central Edinburgh > Chesterfield 260 miles
Central Bristol > Chesterfield 160 miles
Central Buxton > Chesterfield 25 miles
Sounds pretty central to me.
Seriously though its just off the M1
Mainline for trains & buses.
OK for hotels
Plenty of pubs
With the offer of a detached venue what more can you ask for?

That sounds like the best idea to me, since it has easy public access and accommodation.

eeka chu said:
I'm a student in the electronics department at York university and the events organiser for our IEEE branch...

I could ask around and see if I can find some rooms here for a meet up if enough people wanted to come... it might also be easier to get suppliers along to a univeristy.

There are rooms to sleep in at the university that can be rented by the public, they're usually free during the holidays I think.

Our electronics department actually has a section devoted to audio electronics... I haven't explored that floor yet. They must have some good rooms in there.

There's a good chance I would be able to get the exhibition rooms for free if I sell it as a chance for the students to check things out... quite a lot of people here are interested in audio.

York is fairly well placed in the middle of the country and there's a futuristic bus with a 'pilot' and sound effects rather than a bell that stops outside the station that'll bring people to the doorstep of the university. It also has an automatic ticket machine that has been the source of much anger in York. That, combined with watching tourists try to talk to the driver, errr pilot, through the plastic shielding around him, makes for a fun bus journey.

York has 9,637 pubs and tea shops. Which is impressive, as only 8 people live here. Fact.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:
Flying visit...

Ant's place sounds good, I just didn't want to assume it was available without his confirmation. The small room for critical listening, the medium size for mucking around, and the large would be good to set up as a testing suite, that big, gating should be pretty straightforward!

Yep, I voluntarily do the books for Littlemoor Charity who are the folks who run and maintain the building I suggested so get it for nothing. I've had the building on a few occasions now for birthdays, Christmas etc. Even had a mate do a DJ set there once for family and friends, he'd brought along a large pair of pro Mackies and the whole thing was pretty intense, eventually as we all got more pissed it turned into a karaoke night though. What I'm trying to say is that we won't be distrubing anyone and its very roomy.

I'll drop in and take a few shots on my way home from work on Monday to give folks a better idea.

We'll have to book a date a couple of weeks in advance just to be sure we're not sharing the building with the local slimming world class or something daft.

What do other people think of Chesterfield? I suppose we would also need to sort out local accommodation. Is there a nearby pub for ash_dac's pork scratchings? ;)

There's at least 4 decent sized hotels I can think of that are between 5 and 15 minutes drive away. I can get further details if there's interest and I can assure that at least 2 have beeroffs attached.

BTW, the building I suggested has an entertainment license so its legal to consume alcohol on the premises. Big bonus. Most places would scoff at that. :D There's also a chippy, off license and supermarket straight across the road for munchies and supplies. The main thing is that they sell chocolate brownie flavour Frijj milkshake, I grab one of those virtually everyday on the way home from work... yes, there is indeed a god.

Also has good access via bus and train with both of those being only a short 10 minute taxi drive to the venue. I don't mind picking folks up from the train station if need be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.