Anyone Try/Trying to Quit Smoking (cigaretts) Out There?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, this is an OLD thread, but I gotta put in my 2 cents.

I just quit smoking a lil over a month ago, the advantages to NOT smoking are just incredible.

When I was smoking, I ride my bike for a mile and got totally winded, had to stop and get my breath back because these smoke clogged lungs just couldnt keep up with my leg muscles doing a 30Mph sprint... ughh.. it was horrible.

Now after only a month of not smoking, I can ride 30Mph ALL FRIGGON DAY and not crack a sweat and going UP HILLS in HIGH GEAR doesnt even phase me.. not one drop of sweat.

Quiting cigarettes was the best d@mn thing I EVER did... I cant believe how much smoking kills your lungs ability to keep you going.

For anybody out there trying to quit or thinking about quitting.. JUST DO IT! ITS SOOOOOO WORTH IT! its the best thing youll ever do, your body will thank you BIG TIME for it.

I am an active MTBer and smoking just doesnt mix. I didnt use patches, gum, or any of the other crap out there.. I just quit cold turkey.... thats the only way to truley quit.

Lance Armstrong would be proud of me! :D LOL :spin:

I used to be a social smoker. You know, when having a few beers with friends. I stopped in 1997. You know what did it for me? My father's smoking caused him a ton of grief: angioplasty, stents, bypass surgery, and cardiac arrest. He was revived from the cardiac arrest. But cognitively, he has never been the same.

It seems to me that you constantly have to remind yourself of the misery caused from smoking. This is enough deterrent for me.

I found a tumor on my tonsil. Cancer of course:( I quit a couple days before surgery. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I feel much better now and just might be around for a good long while. Should have quit a long time ago. It's amazing how fast your body bounces back from the effects of smoking. Good luck to any who try to quit;)

I suppose the trick is to avoid becoming addicted in the first place. This applies to alcohol and other drugs too, they should never become a private everyday habit. Another trick is to never take them when you are alone, at home, working, etc..., but only as a group habit, when you are enjoying spare time with other people, maybe once or twice a week. You should bear in mind that these substances produce some damage to your body that takes some time to be reparied.

On the other hand, I think that once somebody has become addicted to something, little can be done to go back to a healthy relationship with that substance.

Re: Quit Smoking

Bob2 said:
Hi Rino

I smoked for 24 yrs, used the gum to quit. The trick was to convience your brain you were getting relief when you chewed the gum. It's been 5 yrs now. I still think of it as being addicted, One smoke and it will all start over again. Still one of the best things I ever did.

Good Luck
Bob2

Agreed!!:D

Try to decreased the no of cigarette or any smoking product as the days are passed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.