anyone tried HM210Z10?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Surely an 8" driver should be more appropriately described as a mid-bass or a woofer than a midrange? It will beam strongly at midrange frequencies, resulting in a poor off-axis response.

I have used its predecessor, the HM210Z0, in my three-way speakers. I don't know how the new model compares, but the HM210Z0 needs a little more in the upper bass than my design gave it. Otherwise it is a terrific driver, limited only by its ultimate power handling. I crossed over at 400Hz.

Alex

What I mean to say, is: will this larger cone radiating area result in a large soundstage / image?

This Audax is a very high sensitivity midrange driver (Fs =170 Hz) and that's its strongest side. FR looks normal. The wide image you are trying to achieve can be accomplished with a waveguided tweeter. Typical stero rigs we deal with are units on a flat baffle which makes the sound spatious but the stereo image is in a narrow space between and in front of the speakers. You move left and right and the image is gone.

Ok. I was just wondering about it.

I was speaking with Chris at Solen about the HM210CO. It seems like a lovely driver. Four of them will cost me about 800 CDN. With 4 of them, no attenuation will be required when I use the Hivi RT2ii. I find this to be quite attractive. Less parts in the signal chain makes me a very happy person.

Having said all of that, his suggestion for 1 HM210CO is a 68L box, 2 HM210CO is 135L. This is enormous, and looking at the response curves, those 2X HM210CO drivers are beginning to roll off @ 100hz. This does not make me "so" happy.

This brings me to the reason I asked about this mid range. All of the loudspeaker I have built in the last while top out at an 8 inch bass driver. If I go in the HM210CO direction, I am getting what I have already. That, of course, is a waste of money and effort. So, I am considering at *least* a 10 inch for this build if not, a 12 inch. I will use this in tandem with the new Hivi RT2ii I just bought.

So, I need to re-think the midrange.

I have been considering "going big" and investing in the Volt woofer series. They are not cheap and of course, I am hoping to see REAL results out of the larger driver. I am considering something from this line.

Volt Loudspeakers | Studio Speakers

Hi,

The HZ10 has a two narrow usefull widthband as pointed out.

The HZ0 (a good one if you can find one) & HZ12 (hard to find today) are far better, many 2 ways or 3 ways made with it on french forums.

The HCM is less transparent in the higher band than the aerogels but has a strongest bass iirc !

Of course they all have less efficienty than the Z10...

you may try Google translate : http://x32.forumavie.com/les-trois-frres-dot-dot-dot-audax-21-cm-vt854.html

Buff, what about a pair of Illuminati mid woofas with a pair of illuminati tweetas...

Fuchin' illuminatis, fuckin' diyers, fuckin' forums, fuckin' life...:smash:

What do you want guys, High efficiency? Wide dispersion? Controled directivity? Deep bass? Clear mids?

Any guy out there has a clear idea about what he needs for what is intended for? or just missing with dirvers and projects, and if the project fails it's because of the drivers involved sucked so much?

Any humble diyer out there?

Last edited:
....Me : I bought already made speakers ! DIY is more expensive ! An humble guy doen't make his speaker himself but if money to loose for a hobby... which became more : make stuffs and don't listen to music !

an humble too : http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/

Though with the illuminati's drivers which are anoint with blessed oïl, you can not listen Oud Guitar : it burns before !

Last edited:
Kim not so long ago.....who's the other dude?

Attachments

• 20100204_diaperad_560x375.jpg
    20100204_diaperad_560x375.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 149
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.