Anyone remember the coin tweak?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About 4 years ago in Stereophile there was a tweak talked about involving 2 quarters and a dime. Place the quarters on the top front two corners of the box, and the dime in between on the front edge. It was suposed to help clarity and imaging.
What other strange tweaks have you all heard about doing to spekaers and equipment to improve the sound of things?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
vertical dispersion

At that time some english audiophiles checked the trick out too.
They said that due to the sympathetic vibrations of the coins, there was some energy added in the vertical axis above the speaker, so it gave some hint of natural musical instrument dispersion and sense of height. Something in the same line of thought that back panel supertweeters serve today on Wilsons and Martin Logans.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
nearing Feng Shui

The most mystic tweak (that did nothing not to improve but to even change the sound) was this positive energy ladden foil strips
that this English guy who now lives in Japan sent me for free through self paid mail.
His father he said was into magnetics and inheritted to him some way of magnetically treating foils and mettalic element emulsions so to balance the negative energy charges in listening spaces.
He was so adamant about the clear benefits so I was in a bit of akward position to report him zero benefits in my system and room.
He told me that something very special must be happening not to notice the tragic improvement...
So I thought of a .... paliative. I said that some guru once told a friend (true story) that monuments load their surrounding grounds with tons of positive energy, so it was probable that I had no negative imbalances because I live 10mins walk from the Parthenon in Athens! Hence nothing to treat.
He found it a very reasonable answer.

JCoffey said:
About 4 years ago in Stereophile there was a tweak talked about involving 2 quarters and a dime. Place the quarters on the top front two corners of the box, and the dime in between on the front edge. It was suposed to help clarity and imaging.

It wasn't a tweak, but a pun. The pun was that after you placed the coins on your speakers, you can then "hear the change." Get it? Change? Quarters, nickels and dimes?

se

Re: The $1.20 tweak was not a pun

salas said:
I referred to the $1.20 tweak that was not a pun. Atkinson commented technically on that at the time.

OK, I haven't read any of these articles, but couldn't it be the
case that someone wrote an article that was intended as a
pun, but some people took it seriously? Such things has
happened before. NASA sometimes publish April 1st jokes,
for instance, and one of these is reported to have made it
into a french popular science magazine that completely missed
it was a joke.

JCoffey said:
What other strange tweaks have you all heard about doing to spekaers and equipment to improve the sound of things?

Hmmmm...I thought you put them on the tonearm. :cannotbe:

Re: Wrong issue

salas said:
The issue is December 98, page 16 & 19

Ok, I have the December '98 issue in front of me. Pages 16 and 19. The only thing JA says with regard to the $1.20 tweak is:

Next month, Part Three [of JA's series "Measuring Loudspeakers"] will look at frequency response and the important matter of dispersion, though I must admit that I'm skeptical that the $1.20 tweak works in the matnner described by Mr. Karnette.

That he said in response to Mr. Karnette's claim that the $1.20 tweak worked by changing the speaker's radiation pattern.

se

Re: Re: The $1.20 tweak was not a pun

Christer said:
OK, I haven't read any of these articles, but couldn't it be the
case that someone wrote an article that was intended as a
pun, but some people took it seriously? Such things has
happened before. NASA sometimes publish April 1st jokes,
for instance, and one of these is reported to have made it
into a french popular science magazine that completely missed
it was a joke.

It was presented seriously and taken seriously. I'm trying to remember where I read the "hear the change" pun remark.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.