Anyone know how to add dac or digital outs to Nakamichi OMS-7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's nice board-very small. Probably still going AMD. I want to be able to play a couple of old games when I get urge. I built a pc using a small atx board inside a vcr/dvd combo several years ago. It was old tech but still pretty cool. Had dvd section where it would eject & power on would work. VCR itself I gutted. I'll probably go regular small pc case this time. I do like Antec like you already mentioned.

I built an e350 amd fanless mini-itx box around that time, too. bigger heatsink but still 100% fanless. that's what you really want, fanless mini-itx.

I'd love to have an i3 level itx box that is fanless but its expensive and still runs hot. the atoms and e350 (or equiv) is still fast enough for any kind of audio, can run some other services and you are not locked into anything. its a regular old x86 (or x64) pc. run windows, linux, some other thing.

small, low power, fanless, has sata, has ethernet, has lots of usb. and while there are arm systems out there, I still prefer x86 for software compat and universal support.

even though there may not be i2s, there should still be a word clock, bit clock and data. many dac chips accept several formats of audio; left justified, right justified, 16bit, 24bit, etc. so, while you may not be able to get an spdif out, easily; you should be able to interface the data to another dac chip.

The output format of the Philips digital filter used in the OMS-7 is 14 bit data with a 4*Fs word clock (strobe) and a 96*Fs master clock.

I did this mod in 2006 successfully with an OMS-7/5II, but even though the player looks the same like the OMS-7, Nakamichi switched from Phillips to Sony.

Nakamichi-Mod

BTW Kyocera DA-910 seems to be exactly like the OMS-7.

Looking at the datasheet of the SAA7000, output can be at least switched to 16bit, but will be useless for the DA-Converter.
A shot in the dark: Just hooking the desired circuitry on the Nak´s decoded EFM-Signal,
maybe from another broken (Philips) player. It must probably provinde the system´s clock, (16.9344 is fery common und must be divided by four) control logic of the additional board must be possibly defeated.

IIRC, doesn't the audio data exit the SAA7000 in already separate left & right datastreams? Is that not a problem for doing digital out?

A small cpld is enough to multiplex the left and right streams into a single serial stream. Someone once went as far as to design a board for this very purpose, complete with a picture in a thread. Not sure what happened to it though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.