Anyone Into Vintage Cartridges?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I read that but you said that the record was from your dad so you don't know the history. It doesn't seem to apply to this particular record based on your new finding but it can and does happen.

Not sure I follow you since it was one of my dad's records and he pretty much knows the history, and as I did all of the maintenance on his TT from a pretty early age I know a good deal of it too.

This is the first record I have ever encountered that had this problem and was apparently sufficiently well distributed that I got another copy with exactly the same problem.. :D I only own around 400 records so my sample size is pretty limited, still few of my friends some with 10 - 20X as many albums in their collection have encountered this issue.

One other interesting observation is that most of the used records I have purchased recently have been in very good condition, and were well made, certainly better than I would have believed based on my recollection of record quality back in those days. Perhaps better equipment strangely enough allows one to listen through the flaws more easily or ? (phono stages that recover much more gracefully from severe transient tick/pop events, cartridges that don't mis-track at the drop of a hat??) Who knows.

I have a friend who swears up and down that this might just be the best cartridge Shure ever made.. :D Enjoy your find!

To morrow we will see, the goldring 1012gx fine line is a very good one, but it sounds in some recordings on the thin site.
And for little money I have to test a new one my main interest is pop musik and a cheap one can very ikely give the sound bas I enjoy.
And I will test a MR needle on the M97xe play a bit before spending big money on a DL103R.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>
And I will test a MR needle on the M97xe play a bit before spending big money on a DL103R.

I own a selected ZU DL-103, a vintage DL-103D, and have a loaner DL-103SA.. All are very good, none are quite perfect IMHO, however I think at this point I might just prefer the D as the best compromise.. I'm sending the ZU to Expert Stylus for one of their rebuilds which will probably be the ruby cantilever and paratrace tip.. Unfortunately I have no experience of the 103R, and it has both its passionate supporters and detractors. Lenco Heaven has a quite a lot of discussion on the Denon DL-103 cartridge and its derivatives. It is also the place where you can most easily get a Midas body for the DL-103 family.

I own a selected ZU DL-103, a vintage DL-103D, and have a loaner DL-103SA.. All are very good, none are quite perfect IMHO, however I think at this point I might just prefer the D as the best compromise.. I'm sending the ZU to Expert Stylus for one of their rebuilds which will probably be the ruby cantilever and paratrace tip.. Unfortunately I have no experience of the 103R, and it has both its passionate supporters and detractors. Lenco Heaven has a quite a lot of discussion on the Denon DL-103 cartridge and its derivatives. It is also the place where you can most easily get a Midas body for the DL-103 family.

After I reading threats about the dl103, (AT120-AT440ml-AT150) and the fact the DL103 has a conical stylus the less sophisticated form there, I came to consider.
What is marketing what is taste compared to many others I like good bas bas you can hear and feel. Many buy little boxes on a stand and say they sound good there can be no good bas.
I want to hear good bas smooth midrange bright high with pop, so I thought maybe I better go look for low budget stuff to get what I like. High end is about stylus tip shape low mass cantilever to get treble detailed.
So I loose some detail but get a full sound with the m44 a heavy cantilever shout also have advantages more resonance free for example.

Also a budget type will have the advantage of the TD124 with RB301 and van den Hul tone arm wiring and perform on a higher level.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
After I reading threats about the dl103, (AT120-AT440ml-AT150) and the fact the DL103 has a conical stylus the less sophisticated form there is I came to consider.
What is marketing what is taste compared to many others I like good bas bas you can hear and feel. Many buy little boxes on a stand and say they sound good there can be no good bas.
I want to hear good bas smooth midrange bright high with pop so I thought maybe I better go look for low budget stuff to get what I like. High end is about stylus tip shape low mass cantilever to get treble detailed.
So I loose some detail but get a full sound with the m44 a heavy cantilever shout also have advantages more resonance free for example.

Unfortunately cartridges are one area where you really do have to plonk down some astronomical cash for something approaching SOTA, there are cheap standouts like the DL-103 which can be insanely good for the money. The DL-103 does a lot of things well, but its HF tracking is just average, I would actually consider it a very inexpensive cartridge particularly in view of its actual performance potential when rehoused in a better body. It will get you most of the way there, what it won't get you is the last bit of resolution or neutrality and that will cost you a whole lot more. I'm saving for an SPU which is only hideously expensive as compared to insanely expensive for something like an Ortofon Windfeld, Koetsu, Benz or similar.

The three DL-103 variants I have on hand are very different, and overall I would rate the DL-103D as the most competent overall. This of course is just my opinion and is based on about 10hrs of listening to this cartridge, >800 on the ZU Denon, and about 6hrs on the SA. The SA has amazing bass, but otherwise I prefer the D.

The cartridge arrived:)

Ok I switch now from the Goldring 1012GX to the Shure M44-7, nice kit. The alignment was quick and easy.

At the first song I hear compared to the Goldring less liveliness less bright and midrange that is less clear, bas a bit hold back may be it has to break-in.
The goldring is know for its dynamic sound. What is a bit disappointing on the shure that the mid range is average and, on complicated parts sounds a not very clean any more.

May be it will have some breakin time but I can't imagine it going to improve that lot it beats the performance of the modern goldring. It must be said that the shure is a bargain for what you get and certainly sound-wise on average level although it is sold as scratch cartridge. It is very high output but for HIFI the M97xe is for few bucks more the better one. I was searching for bas compare to what I already have the m44 did not improve on that point.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.55.26.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.55.26.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.56.17.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.56.17.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.56.59.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-06-23 om 11.56.59.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 115
Unfortunately cartridges are one area where you really do have to plonk down some astronomical cash for something approaching SOTA, there are cheap standouts like the DL-103 which can be insanely good for the money.

The three DL-103 variants I have on hand are very different, and overall I would rate the DL-103D as the most competent overall. This of course is just my opinion and is based on about 10hrs of listening to this cartridge, >800 on the ZU Denon, and about 6hrs on the SA. The SA has amazing bass, but otherwise I prefer the D.
I at the input of your RIAA a transformer Kevin?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I at the input of your RIAA a transformer Kevin?

Yes Partridge 977 1:6 step up with Permalloy cores. They're the best I've found so far regardless of price. (I have some that cost upwards of 500 euro a pair) I'm sure there are better for way more money.. :D This combination sounds best running straight into 47K RIAA input with no other loading considerations, very easy, and great sound.

I'm not too surprised about your comments on the M-44, so far I have not found any vintage MM cartridges much to my liking. One possible exception is the Pickering/Stanton 681 series - I have a very early one, (1970) and it sounds far better than I would expect, but probably would not give any modern modestly priced MC a run for the money. The ZU Denon DL-103 is far better IMVLE, IMHO, and YMMV.. :D I would look at the DL-103 - make sure you have a heavy arm and headshell to get good results with this cartridge.

I'm not too surprised about your comments on the M-44, so far I have not found any vintage MM cartridges much to my liking. One possible exception is the Pickering/Stanton 681 series - I have a very early one, (1970) and it sounds far better than I would expect, but probably would not give any modern modestly priced MC a run for the money. The ZU Denon DL-103 is far better IMVLE, IMHO, and YMMV.. :D I would look at the DL-103 - make sure you have a heavy arm and headshell to get good results with this cartridge.
The dl103 is also from the sixties so you do like a vintage cartidge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.