Anyone interested in audio design in CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With modern dacs you can just use your PC to adjust volume without data loss most of the time.
As a product though I have a few ideas that will allow me to physically adjust the volume without sound degradation within my dac or power buffer stages.

First sorry for asking too many questions .. . .. it's my interest too.
Chord DAC uses digital processing as a mean to alter the volume and I assume the PC does something similar. I am not sure why you think preamp is not that important. Most commercial preamps tend to cost more than amplifiers everything else being equal.

It's highly unlikely that I will find anyone interested here
What do you mean? Anyone interested in helping you develop your commercial product for free or anyone interested who will be paid for their work? If it's the former, you might be right, but your intentions are a little vague. Just straight out ask; maybe you'll get lucky. If it's the latter, there are plenty of engineering firms in the US that do exactly what you're looking for. Ask here for recommendations or do a Google search.

I am not sure why you think preamp is not that important. Most commercial preamps tend to cost more than amplifiers everything else being equal.
Being overpriced is not a new concept in hi-fi audio or any other niche market.
If there is audio degredation within the volume control attentuator then I do think it's important.
But there will be no audio degredation in mine so there is no reason for me concern myself with it to much of an extent. It's a very easy design problem to solve compared to the complexities of the rest of my circuits.

What do you mean? Anyone interested in helping you develop your commercial product for free or anyone interested who will be paid for their work? If it's the former, you might be right, but your intentions are a little vague. Just straight out ask; maybe you'll get lucky. If it's the latter, there are plenty of engineering firms in the US that do exactly what you're looking for. Ask here for recommendations or do a Google search.
Sorry I have a bad habit of expecting my intentions to be implied due to the information given. Since I have little money I am looking for a partner not a handout or a temp hire.
Based on a lifetime of experience, I think you should be looking for a business partner with a passion for making money who concludes that he can fulfill that passion by bankrolling your designs.
I've thought about investors but they like to take controlling shares and I don't want to please investors I want to improve audio technology. Ideally I'd like to be as much R&D as sales.
Besides there are holes in my electronic knowledge that I don't want to spend who knows how long filling in. Much easier to have someone complement my weaknesses.
Without digital and SMPS design knowledge I can't complete my work.
I have some mega sweet ideas for driver design too but that will have to wait.

Last edited:
Indeed, but as I said earlier I designed a reg that is much better than the "super reg" that will be standard within my designs. The SMPS is not for regulation purposes, it is for size, cost, and efficiency purposes. The SMPS will be post regulated by my own linear regulator. Without a SMPS there will be gigantic transformers and lots of heat which means it will be very large and expensive.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I do not know if a SMPS is the best way to power the best of the best amplifier.
A SMPS certainly has many advantages but also creates many problems......

I would say that a correctly designed switcher is perfect for a poweramp.... TI have a nice reference design for a PFC - LLC switcher especially for Audio, a nice starting point although a little old by now.... Search for "SLOU293C".

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>
I've thought about investors but they like to take controlling shares and I don't want to please investors I want to improve audio technology. Ideally I'd like to be as much R&D as sales.

This is pretty much how I felt about things roughly 30 years ago, and tried to do everything on my own. I partnered up with a friend who had similar goals to me, but wanted to do the same things I did, i.e. not complementary to my skill set and not what needed to be done that I could not cover myself.

You need (angel) investors and much more money than you think. The person you need to find now is the guy who can connect you with money and genuinely has your interests at heart. You can hire everyone else.

I didn't succeed, but I have eeked enough out of audio to cover development expenses for many of the projects I want to do. Otherwise I'd admit I've not figured out how to be successful.

You have a point about needing more money than I think. I've been so focused on finishing the product I haven't given much though to what happens after. I can do without the dac for now but the SMPS is pretty crucial to not building a furnace. I guess tackling a SMPS is easier than tackling a dac though. I suppose I'll build breadboard prototypes and go find some "angel" investors.

My equipment can't measure the distortion of my power buffer stage but the theoretical distortion should be 0.000000000225%. It certainly sounds this way.

I don't know what the distortion is in % but the DB was averaged at about -120db with the exception of 2nd harmonic using 4P1L. I expect better using solid state.

I also recently designed a power supply that performs between a million and a billion times better than the jung super regulator in comparative simulation (depending on where you are on the audio frequency spectrum).

This kind of hyperbole does not lend credence to any of your claims, nor does not knowing what % is -120dB. With respect to the Jung/Didden regulator what exactly do you mean by "millions and billions"? Your last statement is provable nonsense, there is no spec on that regulator that can be improved by nine orders of magnitude with any physically realizable circuit.

Last edited:
Wow, what a dumb assumption. Why would I pull that number off of the "sound"? That's retarded. When I said "it sounds that way" I was referring to the fact that it sounds distortionless. The lack of reading comprehension on the internet never fails to amaze me.

The theory of operation clearly states 0.000000000225%, that is a mathematical fact. What the practical distortion is, I don't know. My QA401 is unable to measure it. Based on measured designs using similar concepts the practical distortion should be close to the theory though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.