Anyone here have experance with NI LabView?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for someone who can write me a short procedure to control A HP RF signal generator and analyze the results on FFT analser (such as my R&S UPD or even an old LabVIEW ISA ADC/DAC card), and present the results on a waterfall graph.

Its something I'd like to program myself, but I must stay focused on the MDAC2 / VFET projects - so I'd be happy to pay someone to work on this for me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Resonances and Repercussions.pdf

The above magazine article describes the test and reasoning - I'd like to recreate at test set-up to measure the RF sensitivity of Amplifiers etc to external RF energy.

The process:-

1. Perform FFT of UUT noise floor across 20KHz or 100KHz span. (Using HP3561A, R&S UPD or NI ADC/DAC ISA card). Keep this noise floor result as the noise floor reference baseline (the UUT will be an amplifier or some analogue gain stage).

2. Sweep a RF signal generator from say 20KHz to 3GHz, or a or user set frequency span. The RF Signal Gen will be preferably an HP8662A or HP8664A set to 20mV RF carrier level with AM 100% modulation with an external random noise source B/W limited to 20KHz.

The HP8664A is better as its a 3GHz Sig Gen. so I can sweep the Mobile phone and WiFi Bands.

3. At frequency points along the RF sweep, perform a Analogue FFT and plot result on a colour graded waterfall showing any noise floor modulation as a result of the external RF carrier injected stimulus (any RF induced noise floor modulation of the Reference baseline).

Could be a nice project for anyone who works with National Instruments NI LabVIEW to earn some extra pocket money :)

I have a 3561A as part of my HP3048A Phase noise measurement system.

Yesterday I decided to play with the 3561A as a FFT Analyser - but was unable to get more then 97dB disiplayed as an FFT noise floor - so the signal was +6dBV, and the Noise floor was "Flat lined" as if just simply "cut" at about -91dBV is this normal?

Roar,

Once I've completed my current design projects then I'm seriously considering developing an advanced Audio measurement system:-

1. Network analyser to plot Gain and Phase margins

2. Clock Jitter (Phase noise) analyser

3. RF IMD test system

As they use common elements I'll try to design 3 In 1 :)

Oh and combined with a decent FFT analyzer :)

I try to avoid joining anymore forums... Time is not my friend!

I'm surprised that there does not appear to be Labview drivers for the HP8662 / HP8664 Signal generators, the HP8662 is pretty much the industry standard for low phase noise generator.

The more modern HP8664 has far worst close in Phase noise...

Labview website seems more geared towards industrial control applications then instrument control.

I have a 3561A on my shelf, so I would also be interested.

Regards
Roar

I found a LabVIEW certified programmer here in Czech but he charges CZK800 an hour and reckons it will take him a months work!!!! lets say CZK128,000 (thast close to GBP3300 pounds).

I don't understand why it would take so long, I thought the whole idea of LabVIEW was that its an easily development environment - especially for this kind of application.

We are only sweeping an RF signal Gen and plotting results from an FFT analyser, I just don't see the complexity of 4 weeks work for an expert. Hell, I believe I could learn LabVIEW and write the procedure within a month!

If I cannot find any other option, then I'll seriously consider spending the GBP3300, but it seems crazy... GBP1000 seems far....

Ray,

NI have a third party HP8663 driver which is the same basic generator as the HP8662 but with an x2 Frequency multiplier to extend the output range to 2.56GHz.

Are the drivers "editable" can I simply modify an existing driver or are they locked?

I'm thinking I might just try and work with LabVIEW myself - I just don't see why such a simple application to control two instruments and plot the results would take 4 weeks work for an expert.

Joined 2011
Ray,

NI have a third party HP8663 driver which is the same basic generator as the HP8662 but with an x2 Frequency multiplier
to extend the output range to 2.56GHz. Are the drivers "editable" can I simply modify an existing driver or are they locked?
I'm thinking I might just try and work with LabVIEW myself - I just don't see why such a simple application to control two
instruments and plot the results would take 4 weeks work for an expert.

Not sure if you can edit those, ask in the forum. I know lots of students who program in Labview, I'm sure you can as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lab View and the word "easy" don't belong on the same planet. :D I struggled for a short while with it and gave up and found some people to do the work instead. It took them more than a few weeks to accomplish what would have taken me many months.

It is very versatile and used to run complex test benches but it's best described as obscure and maybe a bit obtuse?? ;)

The reality is that I just don't have the time.... so I'd be looking for a programmer - A student would be ideal - the whole subject of Audio and RF IMD is perfect for a student to do there thesis on...

I'd be more then happy to have the program public domain, although the equipment required is not your typical DIY kit.

I'd look for drivers, resources, programmers for Python, SciPy, GPIB, IVI...

if NI Labview doesn't have already exactly what you want it is much worse for code development

EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - Index may be a place to search, ask - I remember a pointer to a postdoc at CERN that ditched his nx$10k NI real time boxes mid week and finished his experiment with a C coded Arduino

in fact Google your source, python and driver gets hits - like this which includes code: http://www.phas.ubc.ca/~qdg/publications/GraduateTheses/thesis_hon_Robinson.pdf
...a Python class was developed to manage all open GPIB connections required for the ... Code for the HP8663 can be found in Appendix A.2. It inherits from....

Last edited:
I agree with everybody. Every time someone at work pushed to use LV I found I could do it another way for 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the time. Every time.

And I didn't need a specialized programmer to write any code either.

The only place I've seen it used I liked or agreed with was when LV was running a large process, like an assembly line.

Guess I'm too old for new tricks.

What other environment is there to control and grab data from GPIB / HPIB devices and present in a graphical form?

I was always lead to believe that this the reason for LabVIEWS existences - everyone here seems to be of the opinion that LV is a walking disaster area!

I'm open for it to be written in what ever the easiest platform, I'd just like to have the system so I can test my own designs.....

Heres an updated spec:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Resonances and Repercussions.pdf

The above magazine article describes the test and reasoning - I'd like to recreate at test set-up to measure the RF sensitivity of Amplifiers etc to external RF energy.

The process:-

1. Perform FFT of UUT noise floor across 20KHz or 100KHz span (R&S UPD). Keep this noise floor result as the baseline noise-floor reference (the UUT will be an amplifier or some from of analogue gain stage etc).

2. Sweep a RF signal generator from say 20KHz to 3GHz, or a or user set frequency span. The RF Signal Gen will be preferably an HP8664A set to 20mV RF carrier level with AM 100% modulation with an external random noise source B/W limited to 20KHz.

3. At frequency points along the RF sweep, perform a Analogue FFT and plot result on a colour graded waterfall showing any noise floor modulation as a result of the external RF carrier injected stimulus (any RF induced noise floor modulation of the Reference baseline).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.