Anyone heard an Eton Hexacone driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The entire Arcosia line seems *way* over-priced. It's almost like they looked at Seas Excel drivers and said: "we've got to price ours more than double to affirm how much better our product is". :rolleyes:

On top of that I've yet to hear a magnesium-based driver I've liked (..which always sound over-damped to me, be it a tweeter or a woofer).
I briefly heard a pair of all Excel driver speakers at the Seas distributor's in Bangkok. Not enough time to make any judgement.
Salk Sound are using the 4" arcosia here Salk Sound
The best price I can find in europe is through Audiostatus. Sadly they don't stock the 3" Symphony's

Last edited:
Without VAT it's about comparable to the Eton Hex 3" (..about $20 US more). :eek:

-still, I'm betting that 3" Eton is fantastic. Please give it its own thread after you've gotten your hands on it. :) (..don't forget to try a large range of enclosure volumes ..and open baffle.) ;)

Without VAT it's about comparable to the Eton Hex 3" (..about $20 US more). :eek:

-still, I'm betting that 3" Eton is fantastic. Please give it its own thread after you've gotten your hands on it. :) (..don't forget to try a large range of enclosure volumes ..and open baffle.) ;)
115 euros each. The neo motor means a premium of 25-30 euros over the 4" ferrite version
Not sure what the Gradient costs nowadays but thought it was alot more?

Planning open baffle, with material to absorb backwave

I'd probably prefer dipole operation myself.. but it really depends on how far you can move it away from the front wall (..the one behind the loudspeaker), for regular operation.

This brings back fond memories of Alon/Nola:

Attachments

• P1014391.jpg
    P1014391.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 628
For a quick look, I'd use the Edge program (on open baffle setting) to see what kind of high-pass/rolloff you'd get (before its own natural roll-off).

I'm guessing the baffle would have to be "substantive"/large for a nice summation at 450 Hz. (..this is without using a filter for the high-pass on the mid. of course.)

I briefly heard a pair of all Excel driver speakers at the Seas distributor's in Bangkok. Not enough time to make any judgement.
Salk Sound are using the 4" arcosia here Salk Sound
The best price I can find in europe is through Audiostatus. Sadly they don't stock the 3" Symphony's

Hello,

Thanks for your good word for Audiostatus.
Speaking of Eton speakers. We don't have the Sypmhony I line speakers because they are discontinued, but Eton still have some. So everything regarding question about Eton should be asked thru the ordering section. I think we are able to get the 3" version

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Troels liked the 4”

SS-3WC-C-Eton-4-300-25Hex

I am going to use the 3” with the 8” mentioned above (sealed) and a TPL-75. Crossover is an Ultimate Preamp (DSP) and six channels of the Modulus 86.

Most of the wood is cut; amps are built and I have the preamp. Just waiting for Solen to get the midrange in stock.

I am going to use the mid in a tube with a tapered interior (felt wrap) and polyfill.

Last edited:
Afaik, Avalon Acoustics uses Eton drivers. You might remember those speakers. Everyone and their Grandma was trying to clone these some 10 years ago. I do believe the Hexatec drivers are an honest attempt at making a pistonic cone. Just visited the Eton site, all modern low mechanical resistance baskets and designs. Using a honeycomb structure to stiffen the cone is a solid idea. So that leaves price and the inevitable cone break up and asociated 3th harmonics to deal with.

content_image_time_01.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking recently at Eton based speakers and in my view they need more detailed measurements and graphs
If anyone has more information on these Chinese speakers using Etons it would be appreciated in the links below the webpages consist of jpegs so I cannot translate
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=577217985610&spm=a21wu.9600033.recommend.3&main_itemid=559496583297&go_item_id=577217985610&pvid=5b2aa229-21e7-4644-bf38-a78459254efa&utparam=%7B"x_object_type"%3A"item"%2C"x_object_id"%3A577217985610%7D&scm=1007.20269.110938.1002003000000001
The second speaker
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=559332468007&main_itemid=587204302230&go_item_id=559332468007&pvid=aaf670a4-f4d5-4e08-88d2-047f8c64d8be&utparam=%7B"x_object_type"%3A"item"%2C"x_object_id"%3A559332468007%7D&scm=1007.20269.110938.1002003000000001
Anyway they look like interesting designs if anybody has information on the Company s Oatlon or Gravity Acoustics China would be helpfull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.