• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone has a curve tracer to trace Western Electric 436A 448A 418A in triode mode ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Morgan Jones did a review of a vacuum tube curve tracer, in a recent Linear Audio magazine. As luck would have it, that article is one of the few that are available for purchase individually: (link). Jones was very enthusiastic about this curve tracer, as I recall.

You might consider reading Morgan Jones's article, then possibly buying one of these curve tracers for yourself -- or finding four other people who all want a tube curve tracer, and each paying 20% of the purchase price. The web page says "More than 400 uTracers in operation in more than 40 countries."

(Here is the site) and the price appears to be € 225.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
I tried to paint from original data sheet, can't do anything about the kneel. Experimental use only.

Attachments

• we436a paint-1 .png
    we436a paint-1 .png
    226.7 KB · Views: 245
  • we436a triode plot-1 .png
    we436a triode plot-1 .png
    399.7 KB · Views: 253
  • we436a.asc
    3.9 KB · Views: 29
Morgan Jones did a review of a vacuum tube curve tracer, in a recent Linear Audio magazine. As luck would have it, that article is one of the few that are available for purchase individually: (link). Jones was very enthusiastic about this curve tracer, as I recall.

You might consider reading Morgan Jones's article, then possibly buying one of these curve tracers for yourself -- or finding four other people who all want a tube curve tracer, and each paying 20% of the purchase price. The web page says "More than 400 uTracers in operation in more than 40 countries."

(Here is the site) and the price appears to be € 225.

I'm building one uTracer myself, bought from Ronal in Holland

The uTracer, a miniature Tube Curve Tracer / Tester.

He's very helpful and sells around the world.

See below. I didn't have sockets, so this was all done via a breadboard scheme. The second trace was a second 436. I did not do any 418s.

Attachments

• 436A test Tube 2.jpg
    436A test Tube 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 436A test again 1.jpg
    436A test again 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 138
  • 448A test Tube 1 retest.jpg
    448A test Tube 1 retest.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 448A test Tube 2.jpg
    448A test Tube 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.