Anyone familiar with this Lite remote volume kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maxw said:
WOW, you have some excellent stuff there!
Thanks!

So would this work?
A control2 controlling a ChipVol1 and an Input1 ?
Yes.

If so, is the control2 compatable with HD44780 displays?
Yes.

Does the control2 include the PIC chip and software to control the PGA2310?
It includes a Winbond W78 series chip with software. If you want a PIC, you have to figure that out yourself ;)
But yes, the chip includes the software for driving the display, for remote control and the PGA2310.

Do you have to pay VAT if you are over seas?
No, but the shopping cart software doesn't know about that yet - it was developed for use in Denmark only. So you will get prices that are 25% too high (there's 25% VAT on everything but shipping).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I posted this some time ago:

I do get a bit of hiss when I replace my normal preamp with the attenuator board. But I guess that's because of the high impedance (50k) and the lack of shielding. The board is just placed on top of my CD-player...

I get some small clicks when I change the position, but nothing that bothers me too much. I think both this and the hiss may also be caused by the very sensitive poweramp I use. I can clearly hear the music at the -63dB setting!

I'll try making a 10k attenuator also. I think the crosstalk data should be even better at low impedances.
I have made that mentioned 10k version now, and it actually fixes the problems!

The speaker is now completely silent (no hiss), and the clicks when changing position have also gone. I haven't made any measurements on the board yet.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

mcs said:
I posted this some time ago:

I have made that mentioned 10k version now, and it actually fixes the problems!

The speaker is now completely silent (no hiss), and the clicks when changing position have also gone. I haven't made any measurements on the board yet.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

How does the PGA2310 kit perform in this respect? I see it has a 100k input impedance too.

mcs said:
I'm experimenting with the PGA2310 currently - I'll let you know the result tonight...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Cool ;)

If you used a control2 to control multiple PGA2310's could they each be at different attenuation levels? ie controlled independantly from the same control board and not have to be effectivly a multigang attenuator?

I have also seen PG2310 kits that have balance control as well.

maxw said:
If you used a control2 to control multiple PGA2310's could they each be at different attenuation levels? ie controlled independantly from the same control board and not have to be effectivly a multigang attenuator?
Yes, that's the idea. You have one "master" volume control, and you can then off-set the others (for multi-channel use). I could also make them completely independant (one channel on volume, another on brightness, a third on colour etc.) if that's what you want.

I have also seen PG2310 kits that have balance control as well.
You do have balance as well - the two channels in the 2310 can be set at different levels. So you have a balance function with 1dB steps (or perhaps 0.5dB?) as well.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

mcs said:

Yes, that's the idea. You have one "master" volume control, and you can then off-set the others (for multi-channel use). I could also make them completely independant (one channel on volume, another on brightness, a third on colour etc.) if that's what you want.

Ideas flowing :D I am not interested in multichannel use but it would be wickid to have 3 PGAs: one for master volume, one for active high pass level and one for active low pass level (crossover).

The kits sure look good and the prices are right. I have a few questions though:

- there seems to be a lot of possible configurations. What level of software / programming is needed, if any, to put the control boards together with the volume boards? Say, if one would like as mentioned above, to have volume and balance with either the chip volume control or a relay control...

- you mentioned that you haven't tested all the boards yet... that's quite important...

- and, related to the above, any special philosophy as to circuit layout considerations - ground planes, bypassing, separation of digital and aalog grounds, etc

- what type and quality relays in the relay boards?

MBK

MBK said:
- there seems to be a lot of possible configurations. What level of software / programming is needed, if any, to put the control boards together with the volume boards?
None. If you order one of the small control boards together with a volume board, the control board will be supplied with a chip with the correct software. The big Control2 board has a setup menu for selecting the boards you have connected.

Say, if one would like as mentioned above, to have volume and balance with either the chip volume control or a relay control...
Balance is only possible on boards where the two channels can be adjusted seperately. That means the RelVol2 and ChipVol1 currently. The RelVol1 board shares the relays for both channels, so balance isn't possible.

- you mentioned that you haven't tested all the boards yet... that's quite important...
No, I haven't tested the RelVol2 board yet, as it hasn't arrived yet. I don't feel like breadboarding that circuit ;)
I don't sell any boards untill they have been tested of course!

- and, related to the above, any special philosophy as to circuit layout considerations - ground planes, bypassing, separation of digital and aalog grounds, etc
I use ground planes for the digital sections typically. I don't think ground planes are always a good idea for the audio sections. If you use high impedance circuits, why limit the bandwith with a lot of ground capacitance? If the circuits are low impedance, the ground plane won't cause problems of course, which is why I do use it on the ChipVol1 board for instance.
[edit]I forgot the ground separation question. I separate the grounds of course. I then make space for a small choke to connect the grounds on the board. In a large system with many boards, they should only be connected one place.[/edit]

- what type and quality relays in the relay boards?
I use Omron DIL-relays with gold plated contacts (G5V-2). I always use the low-power type (H1) for circuits where many relays are on at the same type, and some times I use the standard version for circuits where only one or two relays are on at the same time (like an input selector or the RelVol2 circuit).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

That sounds good...

So I gather, one could use say, the VolControl together with the ChipVol1 and have remote volume and balance and a display, and no programming. That is more or less what I am looking for (blame it on the wife: we need a remote volume quick, any playing around relayed to later :D ).

Just a quick thought about getting the maximum mileage out of the PGA2310: from data sheet its minimum THD+N is around 4 V rms. Given that typical CD has 2V output and that the typical average volume on a CD is 10-20 dB below FS, one could raise the volume say, by a factor of 3 (ca 10 dB) ahead of the PGA2310.

Not only has the PGA2310 plenty enough volume steps to spare to get the volume down again, but by its construction (changing feedback R of the op amp via FETs I suppose, from data sheet) you actually get less resistance (noise) the lower you set the volume.

ANyway that can be tweaked after the fact... no need to redesign the PCB ;)

MBK

I have finally had some time to experiment with the PGA2310. It works very well actually...

Without an input buffer it sounds a bit dark. With an input buffer, it sounds more like the relay attenuators. I used an OP275 for the input buffer, as that's what I had in the opamp drawer :)

There's no hum or noise, so the high input impedance is not a problem. It's the high output impedance of the 50k relay attenuator that caused the hiss. But as the PGA chip is buffered internally, there's no problem here.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

mcs said:
I have finally had some time to experiment with the PGA2310. It works very well actually...

Without an input buffer it sounds a bit dark. With an input buffer, it sounds more like the relay attenuators. I used an OP275 for the input buffer, as that's what I had in the opamp drawer :)

There's no hum or noise, so the high input impedance is not a problem. It's the high output impedance of the 50k relay attenuator that caused the hiss. But as the PGA chip is buffered internally, there's no problem here.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Wickid! I will be ordering mine soon, cant wait :devilr:

V-03 volume question

Hello,
I just ordered this volume/input board(s). I currently have a 12v 1A transformer, which these boards require. I have an extra 1/2A left on this transformer. Does anyone know how much power these boards require? I would really like to use my exisiting transformer and regulator, instead of adding a second transformer and the included regulator to run these boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
CS3310 - kit

I just put one of these together, added a few small mods, and I'm fairly surprised about the sound-quality.
Not like the best attenuators or TVC, but close!

Arne K

Attachments

• p801085x.jpg
    p801085x.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 241
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mods: I cut traces between psu-caps(+/-15V), added a 5-10 ohm 2W+ resistor for some CRC-filtering.
I took out the input DC-blocking-caps/replace with jumpers.(small resistors).
Added a cheap china-J-Fet-buffer for output, powered by a group-buy psu.

To come: a small output-mute relay w/delay...

Arne K

Attachments

• p801084x.jpg
    p801084x.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 254
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.