• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone experienced in the 76 tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andy, thanks for the offer. Will think about that.

As an update, I grafted half a 6SN7 in between the 76 and 2A3, that made it two stage. While I think I'm getting some 6SN7 coloration, the 76 tone is still prominent.

The bass? Well, I got it! And better than expected.

I'm happy with the circuit now. Maybe in another chassis I'll make a 76-76-2A3/45.

:D

When using the LED bias at low currents its very easy to add supplementary current to the LED. I did this with rectified heater supply passed to a LM7805 and then a simple bypassed voltage divider. Before adding the supplementary current, things sounded soft and mushy, with it things tightened up significantly.
Something I noticed this week when I switched from a 65R cathode resistor with supplementary current, I had a bias point of 1.2V and 90V on the anode. I then replaced the resistor with a red LED, the bias moved to 1.6V but the anode stayed at 90V. There must be some DC feedback thing going on here. The point is - when switching don't expect things to pan out exactly as anticipated.

Shoog

Point well taken Shoog. I have to admit, I haven't been able to add the supplementary current method yet. The reason is that I felt I needed more gain, thus the "jump" to a second stage.

Hi FranStar, thank you for the extensive post. In summary, I will try putting in a 33K resistor in series with the grid, and will sandwich the coupling cap with 5.6K and 15K resistor.

I will continue with the experiments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.