Anyone else ever see the US made pyramid amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ppia600 said:
Hey, the extra space is extra heatsink for extra cooling!! :D
Haha, thanks for actually looking... I figured some guys probably would ignore it considering my current status, haha. I thought it was pretty funny, good thing I'm using rca jacks. Apparently this was an already manufactured ppi 2050m and it didn't pay to remove the din jack. Surely someone will have to come in and correct me on that, but it seems the only logical explanation. There are a couple more for sale if anyone wants a quirky piece of history. I didn't buy mine to use, just wanted it for posterity. :)

I guess the thing that keeps me from buying them is knowing that PPI built amplifiers for a LOT of weirdo and some big-name brands in the 1990s. Here are the ones I'm aware of:

Pyramid Super Pro
Lanzar (from 1988-1991 or '92)
M&M Godfather
G&S Designs
Crutchfield (yup!)
Sansui
MTX Terminator

I'm sure there are more, but these I've had direct experience with on the repair bench.

The boards that are in the Pyramid as well as the other brands mentioned are all the same. They are not actually the SAME boards as the regular PPI amps, but the design is quite similar. The deeper profile of these "export" heatsinks allowed PPI to stand their filter caps on end (radial) rather than against the board (axial). Another giveaway is the DIN jack. Although I've never seen anyone cover this jack up, I would bet that some doofus at Pyramid said "hey, it has DIN jacks - buy 'em with those installed!". But then their prototypes showed up and the DIN jacks weren't backwards compatible with their existing product line. Honestly, that's the way some (many) outsourcing companies work. All you'd need to do is find an old PPI employee and ask - it wasn't that long ago.

ppia600 said:
P9110398.jpg

:D

I had to open it.. besides, there is no warranty seal

P9110395.jpg

Notice anything odd about this picture \/ and the one above????;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

man i remember thoses amps, a guy had two of those on the highs and one of the bigger ones, i think the 2300 on eight 12's, in a little nissan hardbody with the camper on the back. The guy had cracked his windshield and your clothes would be moving outside the truck. i wish i could get my hands on a couple of those

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.