anyone dismantle an active shutter 3D panel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the glass of an LCD panel change the polarization of light?

I used to be on the Lumenlab forums but they have died (in a hail of controversy). I currently enjoy my 1080p DIY projector but I want to upgrade to 3D... I know I can take a 2 projector approach but I want to stick to just a single panel and assume that this should be possible by using an active shutter glasses panel.
Has anyone taken apart an active shutter glasses 3D panel and know if it would be useable for a DIY projector?
Also what is the smallest active 3D LCD I could possibly use? I'm aware that there are some laptops with 3D panels that run on full HD (which is preferred though I may be able to drop to 720p if it means everything else will work fine).
In doing some research it sounds as though there may be some issues with controller boards for laptop screens and using them in 3D mode? Does anyone know if this is the case and if anyone has had any success in using a laptop panel could they advise as to the model and the accompanying controller board.
Thanks for any help and if there is a better forum for me to be posting these questions to I'm than happy to be directed to it.

Last edited:
I suspect from the page views that many would like to know if this can be done... I haven't had much luck searching elsewhere for details on a teardown but theoretically it shouldn't be that hard. If I'm not mistaken the main difference with these monitors and standard monitors is that they run at a higher refresh rate and therefore are able to send two separate images to the screen fast enough to use with the shutter glasses... other than that there should be minimal difference.
I'm expecting an inheritance in the near future so I may keep an eye on any specials (just because I will have a little more money doesn't mean I can afford to throw it away). If I end up finding one and giving it a try I will be sure to post on how it goes... in the mean time though I really hope someone else tries or knows where I can find out more about the guts of one of these 3D Active panel LCDs.

Well just to add to my own thread... I have now torn down a Samsung S23A950D active 3D monitor... a sliced finger later and it is installed in my projector, the only problem is that I bought the LCD cheap as it has a vertical band issue which I was hoping would be resolved without the backlight but looks like I might have to get creative with FFC's... but on the other side of things... theoretically it is possible this will work with 3D... I don't have glasses to test yet (as they didn't come with the LCD... seller says their son broke them)... if I can get the FFC issue sorted I will invest in some glasses and report back as to the success! (or not).

If we still had access to the Lumenlab forum's I suspect I could fix my issue... but not having prior experience with fixing/replacing FFC's I'm not sure how to go about correcting my problem... I am considering trying removing the faulty cable and replacing it with one from closer to the edge of screen... will see how I go unless someone else can chime in with advice of how to fix the issue (ie most likely replace the cable)

So I have now obtained a 23inch LG 3D passive monitor... it works fine (haven't tried opening it up)... I did a quick test of my (redleaf) projector screen to see if it maintains polarisation and unfortunately it doesn't (though I'm yet to check the back... it's a long shot but maybe there is a better reflectiveness to it?)

I was wondering what suggestions people had for screen material (or potentially a paint to spray on my current screen (would spray on the back so worst case scenario I can just flip it back over), ideally cheap, but also large (I know those can be mutually exclusive). Aluminium foil works (at least based on a small test with the 3D glasses) but that's not exactly an ideal solution for that size.

Otherwise it's back to trying to find another "dead" samsung 3D monitor that I can cannibalize for parts to make the one I have work properly.

The latest update to my quest for home DIY 3D projection. I have an LG Cinema 3D monitor that I plan to put in my projector... I've just run a quick proof of theory using spray paint with aluminium flecks (yes it reflects polarised light... not sure how well it does so for 3D but a quick test using just the glasses shows it does retain at least a degree of polarisation.) But before I take the next step of making a projector screen and dismantling the panel to install in my projector I was wondering, as the screen will have to be the opposite way around within the projector, will the glass of the panel have any noticeable effect on the polarisation? I think I read somewhere that glass can have some effect on light polarisation but I'm just not sure how much of a change it might make and if it will cause an issue with the projection. Can anyone help with this one? If it will have no notable effect (or affect I can never remember which to use in this situation)... I will look at putting things in place and trialing it... if this works I will be one happy chappy watching big screen 3D at home with the cheapest 3D glasses around :D

Does anyone know if a fresnel lens changes/removes the polarisation from a passive LCD screen? I've just installed one in my projector and though it needs some tweaking anyway... looking at the screen directly in the box did not seem to result in a viewable 3D image when content was shown... the only active elements were the metal halide lamp, my fresnel lens then the lcd panel itself and my eyes with the 3D glasses on... it may have simply been the angle as I wasn't able to get straight on (due to looking in through the top of the box)... but just wondering if anyone knew before I tackle it tomorrow to get it to a workable state for at least viewing in 2D. The monitor I'm using is an LG passive "Cinema3D" model.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.