Anybody into older, classic looking gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inside view.

Attachments

• pm310 inside.jpg
    pm310 inside.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,128
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This might bring new life in this thread:
A happily spinning TD124 with SME3012. Something like 45 years old.
Bias lever and weight are missing for the moment.
Cartridge is a rather new Stanton 881S.

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• mvc-166f.jpg
    mvc-166f.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 765
Are you kidding!?

Lately I've been collecting nothing but "old" junk systems. Mostly harman/kardon and Wharfedale.

Here are some pics:
Click for larger view

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then there is my h/k site in my sig. line too.

Hi Guys and what a great thread! Thanks for all the pics and bringing the memories back.
Like someone else here, my first amp was a Marantz 1060. Believe it or not it's still in daily use. I keep it powered up 24/7. I keep on meaning to replace the caps etc but somehow I like it just the way it is! I also have the matching 105 Tuner which is also still working fine.

My partner and I are both mad about Hi-Fi (she keeps her speaker collection in her bedroom - 6 pairs at last count!) And I've just bought my dream system. I lie in bed at night looking at it (sad or what?) It's a 80's Akai Reference system. Mint condition, sounds great, built like a tank with the weight to match, and got it for a song on eBay.

I love the idea a previous poster had - buiding new insides for old equipment. That said it's easy enough to do. Just replace the caps, op amps etc, rewire with silver wire, new connections on the back etc. You'll improve the sound no end. The silver Pioneer stuff must have been the best looking gear ever designed.

kris.

Attachments

• pict0042.jpg
    pict0042.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 674
I know there's been some posts about reel to reels so I thought I'd share with you a pic of mine. It's a Sony APR 5003. Pro model, full metal jacket, Interchangable 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch head block, computerised speed control from (any speed from 1.75ips to 45ips) 9 different memories for different tape types/eq/record+replay level etc. Built in the mid 80's it still works fine but like any old girl it needs a lot of tlc. other interesting 'under the stairs' stuff you might be interested in is my first CD player (you can just see it next to the turntable) Marantz CD63 top loader from the early 80's, still in full working order and sounding great. I've got a couple of old DBX units in excellent condition and the Technics ST-9030 FM tuner is superb.

You may be interested in the fact that I run an ambisonic souround sound system using a Minim AD7 decoder. (the amp stack isn't in the pic, sorry) Speakers are two pairs of B&W DM2 Mk2's which I will (as finances allow) rebuild using new internal wire and replace the crossover components. next on the list of upgrades will be a pair of Quad 303 amplifiers which I'm going to rebuild using Net audio technology (see http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad303upgrade.html )

I must admit, eBay has been a godsend for us retro collectors. I cry when I think of the stuff I've thrown away/ given away/ sold in the past which has now become collectors items or just not available at all. i-pods might be great for the younger generations but where's the soul? You can hardly get owner satisfaction from an i-pod. A younger friend who is into i-pods and wireless round the house music came to visit a while ago. I plugged his i-pod into my main system, he pressed play and was rendered speachless by the sound quality he heard. He listened to his music for hours and for the first time heard what it really sounded like. I know our system sound quality isn't top notch but it's the best we can get for now and we're improving it all the time.

Sorry I've rambled on

kris.

Attachments

• pict0128.jpg
    pict0128.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 819
Here is my favorite

a 1926 Neutrowound Super 6 in blue!

This thing must have looked like something from another planet in 1926. Almost all other tabletop radios in that day were plain brown rectangular boxes...

This one is not working.... yet.

The paint is a sort of bright orange base coat overlayed by a deep blue with some crackle medium applied between the two. Stunning!

I_F

Attachments

• my neutrowound set, front, small.jpg
    my neutrowound set, front, small.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 856
Last one

In my opinion, audio reproduction has been on a downhill slide ever since they went from acoustically recorded/played constant linear velocity cylinders to constant angular velocity discs.

Here is my favorite piece of high-performance gear- an Edison Standard cylinder player. I can't seem to locate a photo with the horn in place. It plays 2 minute wax cylinders.

I rebuilt the entire mechanism. I took it apart, cleaned each and every part, reassembled and lubed it and it works like new.

You can have all your "high-end" Suzanne Vega and Cowboy Junkies crap- nothing beats the Sir Harry Lauder singing "I Love to be a Sailor"!

I_F

Attachments

• edison.jpg
    edison.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 708
Here is what i'm playing with when i sit in my "electronic workshop" Sansui 4 channel QR-6500 and my Thorens TD 160 Mk II with ortofon pickup.
This is where i listen to vinyls - don't know what it is but i think vinyls got soul - maybe because of the sound of the pickup between the numbers.
This Receiver really has a good sound, amazing what it delievers to my small 4 OHM Vifa speakers.
If i could build this Sansui as amplifier without the receiverpart i would do that - it has got a lot of power.

Attachments

• sansui 005.jpg
    sansui 005.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 644
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.