Any VCV users here?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
After years of resistance to 64bits OS i finally sold my soul to the devil... and first opportunity to use a soft in this is VCV.

I spent 2 weeks playing with the thingy and i must say it blows my mind.

Not that i'm unfamiliar with modular synths and discovered the unlimited sound design capability this kind of instruments offer as i'm a long time owner of Clavia's NordModular and have a small and humble analog 'frankensynth' diy modular i started 10 years ago and which slowly evolved since, but the sound quality and ease of use of VCV is incredible for something free.

And polyphonic modules are a god send i could only have fantasy about in analog. Not even talking about the possibility offered by the software to interface with hardware world ( cv/gate, midi or audio either in or out).

It even gives access to emulation of some Serge panels, Buchla's inspired modules and synth voices ( Music Easel emulator! YEEESSS!), real time samplers, wavetable... even lunetta's modules are availlable ( as well as Klee sequencer... it seems some electro-music.com people have stamped their signature in modules developement).

It's so good i've not even installed the (free too) Buchla's modulars vst emulation yet to play with!

For those which have more experience with it have you find some limitations? In all honesty at this point i don't find any (for what i do with modular) and really wonder if i will ever continue to invest time in building modules for my analog one.

The original VCV rack had some issues and didn't run at all on some computers. VCV rack 2 is much better. I have tinkered with it off and on for over a year. Due to the way Windows handles video system interrupts a hardware video card is required. Attempting to run VCV rack on Intel based on chip video results in dropouts, freezes, or just poor performance. I have not tried an AMD on chip video setup. I have two nearly identical Ryzen 9 based systems, but get different CPU load readings on each system, and the same system is not always the fastest.

Reactions: 1 user