Any successful/unsuccessful tales of loading a large Coax in a front horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool website...

.....I tried to explain more and spent some extra time things like back emf and on horns if interested (and I did write about this issue as I recall). Anyway, it’s the 5th edition of “Handbook for Sound Engineers”.....

Hi Tom,
Just checked out your website....Wow great products and impressive company!
Please can you explain a bit about back emf in loudspeakers, normal cones in sealed boxes as well as horns please?
I have been taught that due do drivers massive inefficiency (1% to 10% ) that they do not generate back emf like an electric motor which are more like 80% to 90% efficient....
I was told to regard loudspeaker drivers ( a big pro driver bass / mid) asa 1 Kilo watt electric bar fire ie it converts 99% of the electricity into heat ( large hot voice coil) not sound!!
Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Premature evaluation of the Tannoy 12's in the front horns - I am still finishing the crossovers and have them pretty close to where I want them - anyway it seems I might have a long list of compression drivers, horns, bass drivers ect going up for auction. The new main speaker system is still huge by non-horny standards standing over 6 feet tall but only 30 inches wide and deep. It is also much less complex then the mult-horn system I was enjoying - in the multi-horn array's last version the low mid horn alone had a 4 by 2' mouth and was over 4 feet long. If I had a bigger room I'd keep it forever.

Last edited:
Yes, I used the horn flare for the midbass from the EJ1 only. The Tannoy dual concentric is running near full range from 120 hz up. I enclosed the EJ1 (horn for Tannoy) in it's own enclosure with a 1 cubic foot back chamber (not tuned properly yet) and mounted two direct radiator 15's in the same horn enclosure open back for now. The horn enclosure is sitting on top one of my 10 cubic foot cabinets taken from my line array and is loaded with two more 15's. The EJ1 is vertical so the 15's form a line array both front firing below and side firing above to the wall. The system is working 60 to 120 with the four 15's and 120 up with the Tannoy/EJ1. Triamped - then below that is my low bass system. The other channel is done just not hooked up yet - I like tweaking a channel at a time. Eight 15's in the bass might actually sound better than the midbass horns I was using :)

Last edited:
I never got a full range or coax to sound to my liking in 180 hx round wooden tractrix horns - too many reflections too beamy.

The open back cabinets are open because i was too lazy to put the back panels on yet- still working on it - i like a flat open baffle when used up higher - these are crossed low so I'm still working on what works best in my room. The current thrown together bass is insanely good though :)

working.JPG

Kinda fugly and work in progress :rolleyes:

Cool !

From that, I think of a similar one. I vaguely remember seeing a guy built pretty big MB horns with a section of disc antenna as the side walls. The concave sides are facing outward, the convex sides as the the inner side walls of the horn. Can't find the photo now.

I never got a full range or coax to sound to my liking in 180 hx round wooden tractrix horns - too many reflections too beamy.

The open back cabinets are open because i was too lazy to put the back panels on yet- still working on it - i like a flat open baffle when used up higher - these are crossed low so I'm still working on what works best in my room. The current thrown together bass is insanely good though :)

Hi POOH,

I was thinking on using one of the coax drivers that come with a protruding horn that could double as a phase plug as well as control directivity avoiding reflections within the bigger horn . B&C and Beyma make a couple of coaxes with protruding horn.

BTW, I already have the 150 tractrix horn.

Best
Kris

This is for deep bass - one is in a folded horn and four went in two 28 cu ft cabinets, corner loaded, tuned to 20 cycles. A rear sub with two Dayton 18's for ambience and the last bit of smoothing.

Bass is handled by eight 15's four in 2 BR cabinets and four are mounted on the sides of the Tannoy horns running open back with tuned stuffings. Crossover points for the bass is yet to be determined. Somewhere around 120 (Tannoy horn 120 up) down to the 18's and the 18's will come in around 50 cycles. Pretty low compromise.

bass.jpeg

Put all this together and decided the Tannoys even in front horns are toys compared to a real fully horn loaded system (80 cycles up or lower) - threw together a horn system in a couple of hours and it beats it badly. BACK to multi-way horns - I did improve the bass in the build with the four additional Jbl 18's so not so much a loss of time.

Anybody want a nice pair of Tannoy 12" dual concentric drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.