Any opinions on this Taiwanese made ceramic tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Integrated impedence comp with a built in LRC? Very, very cool. I would love to see other makers do that with their non-ferrofluid designs.

Sexy looking tweeter. It certainly looks like it's a quality dome. I wish Visaton was sold in the US. I also wish they were a little cheaper, then I'd snap a couple up to test.

Solen ships to USA and it's cheaper than buying locally.
Still can’t see paying 125 for a Taiwanese tweeter even if it is a German design. This cost could only be justified if it was made in Germany this tweeter probably cost them 2 dollars to make in Taiwan.

I'd be real upset if I found out my Accuton C220-T6 Ceramic 8" 's were made in china or Taiwan no matter how good they sound.

Attachments

• acc.jpg
    acc.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 463
I’ll put it this way.....
Imagine if you will, you paying 150-250K for a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz and then you find out that every piece of the car including all the materials used were manufactured and assembled in Taiwan or china. You would be getting an equivalent of Daewoo, Hyundai, Kia cars and the only thing German about that car would be the Design picture and specs that were done by a German guy and emailed to Taiwan.

The point is, if manufacturers want to build their stuff out there then they should have the balls to admit it and charge accordingly and not claim German built.

At least a German company like Behringer has the balls to say their products are made in china and that’s why they can sell it so cheap.

I really don't know if these are manufactured in Taiwan. But I did build some loudspeakers with these ceramic units. They just sound very, very good. And they are worth their money!
They also are a lot cheaper then the Scan Speak and Morel top models and I don't feel that these are better.

And why should these oriental products be bad? I think that we should be very afraid of these countries, if you understand what I mean.
Also, these countries probably don't produce "monday morning models" like the US and Europe.

Eton said:
First, I would feel like a fool for paying that much and second, no china or Taiwan made drivers deserve a six months of sweat in box design and build and four months of crossover design and tweak.

So everything made in Taiwan or China is cheap? I'm not saying nothing's cheap (that would be lunacy) but I'm starting to get an idea of the stereotype you fancy. Why isn't it the product that you care about, but its origins?

EDIT: A company can charge whatever damn well they want for their product, regardless of the quality.

454Casull said:

So everything made in Taiwan or China is cheap? I'm not saying nothing's cheap (that would be lunacy) but I'm starting to get an idea of the stereotype you fancy. Why isn't it the product that you care about, but its origins?

EDIT: A company can charge whatever damn well they want for their product, regardless of the quality.

Yes there is a difference in products being made in different part of the world. Hence the difference between BMW and Hyundai as I explained before.
I didn’t say the product is a poor and lousy quality just because it’s NOT made in Germany. But obviously it will never be as good. Or people wouldn’t be paying higher prices for Seas, SCAN SPEAK , Dynaudio and other drivers and they would just buy Radio shack. I said the price does not justify the product manufactured elsewhere
In this case.

You might want to pick a different foreign manufacturer, because Hyundai is seriously bent on being recognized as a quality brand, and from the looks of it they'll be doing it faster than the Japanese did.

<<I said the price does not justify the product manufactured elsewhere in this case.>>

What if the quality was the same? What if the quality was better? It sounds like you think something being made in Germany justifies a higher price, regardless of quality.

Dayton's Reference series drivers, especially the tweeter and new subwoofers, have (overall) performance that equals the best European drive units. You would have to spend a silly amount to (possibly) get incremental more performance. I believe they are all made in China.
Usher, Aurum Cantus and LCY are not too shabby either ;) .

Cheers,

AJ

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Eton said:
First, I would feel like a fool for paying that much and second, no china or Taiwan made drivers deserve a six months of sweat in box design and build and four months of crossover design and tweak.

I beg to differ. Dayton Reference drivers are definitely worth the time to get working right, in my opinion, and they're made in Taiwan to PartsExpress specifications. Many fine ribbons also come from either Taiwan or China.

More to the point, if you get $300 of utility from a quality driver, who cares whether it comes from Germany or Taiwan? The Taiwanese aren't exactly strangers to precision manufacturing: the leading chip foundries are located not far from Taipei.

The days are long gone when a product could be called junk merely because of its place of manufacture; quality processes and control are now a known science throughout the world, and the fact we can buy good drivers from Europe, the US, Israel, and Asia serves as proof of this.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have listened to this tweeter in several diy speakers. Good transparency, a bit thin midrange. Nothing exceptional, still in the very good category.

As for Taiwanese products etc. my opinion is that the pricing benefits should be passed to the general public. If we are to face the industrial death of the western hemisphere and its consequences to its societies we have to receive something in balance. Obviously the investors try to keep the whole benefit in their pockets. Globalisation was always the dream of capitalism. Its now there is the communication and transport tech freely available to conclude that goal. Hey Joe Public, brace yourself fella!

Eton said:
I’ll put it this way.....
Imagine if you will, you paying 150-250K for a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz and then you find out that every piece of the car including all the materials used were manufactured and assembled in Taiwan or china. You would be getting an equivalent of Daewoo, Hyundai, Kia cars and the only thing German about that car would be the Design picture and specs that were done by a German guy and emailed to Taiwan.

Reminds me of the question: if you could by a genuine Rolex for full retail, or a copy of a Rolex that was indistinguishable from the real thing (I mean identical quality, function, materials, and aesthtics - even a Rolex technician could not tell the difference) for half the price, which one would you get?

When my brother posed that question to me several years ago, my immediate feeling was that I'd get the original Rolex, of course. I mean... it's the real thing. Nowadays I'm not so sure.

The interesting question to me is how much are we willing to buy into the branding and the cache of "Made in Switzerland" or "Made in Germany" or whatever.

Now if the difference in quality were the issue, well that's one thing. But if you knew you were getting a top notch watch made by swiss technicians vs. one made by a factory worker in a second or third world country of the same quality (everything, as stated, is indistinguishable), would you pay that extra premium to get the one that's genuine to the brand? If that premium were substantial, how much more would you be willing to pay?

Of course, were talking about copies here, and all sorts of ethical issues rear their heads. But in something like a tweeter, something that's not a lifestyle product and is judged soleley on its performance, how much more of a premium would you pay for a German tweeter over a Taiwanese one if the performance and quality were the same?

Me, I'm not so worried about if a component is made in Germany or Taiwan as long as the quality meets or exceeds my needs and the price is reasonable compared to performance.

Best,
KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.