• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Any interest in an acrylic platter group buy, and a bearing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nanook

For those of us who don't catch on so fast (me), is the platter/bearing drilled/tapped or whatever, so that it's ready to use?

Also is the 4 thou' tolerance for the bearing correct? Is that tight enough without running with an oil film. I don't mean to question the quality, but not being a machinist I thought it would be good to know.

what information (other than the manufacturer) do you need

regarding the bearing and platter ?

I can tell you that this bearing is being used on 2 other commercial products other than the maker's own, and the one that I am currently working on. One famous US turntable, one yet to be introduced Canadian turntable (and therefore not "known" at all).

So I believe I have answered pretty much all questions except the final dimensions of the the bearing, but it is in the same dimensional "league" as the one I designed.

I have avoided providing the bearing details, as more than one person wants to copy it (at least they admitted it to me), and it is not my bearing to allow to be copied. That's it. There is no conspiracy to keep any in the dark, other than to protect the manufacturer's intellectual property and allow me to have the opportunity for future business this maker.

Spica:
the bearing has a sintered bronze bushing in it, ad "Oilite". This means that something in the neighbourhood of 30% mass of the bushing is actually oil,as the bushing "sees" friction and heats, the oil seeps from the bushing, as it cools it is "sucked" back up by the bushing.

stew

Re: diy hifi parts...

Nanook said:
I can say that if the motor pod that I purchased via the Maxon motor group buy is an indication of the Bix products, I'm not sure I'd go with any of it Apparently diy hifi supplied the motor pods and covers.

I have perhaps the most expensive, terrible looking ashtray in the history of the world (and I don't even smoke). I know I won't be using it. It is missing some set screws as well. And they wanted another $50 or so for the top plate. Please this is not a dig at Algar_emi and the Maxon motor Group Buy. I must say that I am a little disappointed in what I ended up with for $286 landed. The pulley, and motor are very good. The motor pod is the problem. I'll most likely keep the motor pod as an "experimenters' motor enclosure", spend some more money, have a top plate made for it, and find some set screws. And then get my own motor pod made.

I know the Bix table has received some good reviews and I cannot argue against it, if that is what you want. Hey, the whole table can be had for around $1000 landed in North America (without tonearm). The strobe marks are good to have , but are a little on the fugly side. Again perhaps my taste in cleaner looking designs is overtaking me, but I like the sleeker concept of "form follows function" as illustrated by Shaker, Craftsman and mid-century modern (Eames etc) designs. As indicated earlier, I love the way the Roksan Xerkses table looks. Plain. Simple. Straightforward.

just click on turntables and have a look at it.Roksan's home page

The bearing topology is perhaps the biggest variance. To my knowledge, the Bix bearing is a typical well type bearing. My design is an inverted design using the balanced mass approach as per Verdier, and of similar quality to Teres. The use of a Teflon /ceramic, or ceramic/ceramic ball and wearplate are a couple of others. It is being over-built in the event some may want to mass load their platters.

a note about platters: The platters need to be milled on both sides, prior to machining. That way we end up with a "trued" plate to start with (as Vinyl-Addict points out correctly). I can tell you that if I get the wordthat the existing high-end maker agrees to provide us with the bearings and platters, you will be getting a platter and bearing that is part of a $5000 turntable in your diy project. Until finalized, I simply cannot say much more.

I do have a sketch of the bearing design, and how the platter fits, as well as a few photos of the platter from the first prototype commercial turntable using a modified direct drive well type bearing. I just need to find out where to post them or shrink them small enough to attach to my posts.

newsflash:
it appears that diy hifi is getting out of the turntable business, and Triode Systems indicates that it is no longer available. For those that are interested.

stew

What is wrong with the top plate? If you are going to criticize the top plate please tell the truth. The top plate was custom machined to fit a Bix pod from a drawing made by Sylvain. The plate was CNC machined from an aluminum billet to within .001 of the drawing. No one could decide on a finish so the were done ready to finish. The cost was $35/plate for a quantity of only 20. I defy you to find something machined to those tolerances for only 20 pieces. They were $35 each not $50. I mic'ed each one as they came off the CNC. So if you are going to criticize, do not lie and get your story straight. I guess, next time I will not be so quick to volunteer to help the DIY Audio community. I had many compliments from the participating members on the top plate. You are the only one who complained. There is always one ingrate in the crowd and that is you. By the way, I did the job at no profit. As a matter of fact I lost a couple of bucks running prototypes to make sure they were exactly to the drawing as I don't do this for a living. Whats even more funny is that you were one of the two last hold outs to pay on the group buy.

Re: Re: diy hifi parts...

kilowattski said:

What is wrong with the top plate? If you are going to criticize the top plate please tell the truth. The top plate was custom machined to fit a Bix pod from a drawing made by Sylvain. The plate was CNC machined from an aluminum billet to within .001 of the drawing. No one could decide on a finish so the were done ready to finish. The cost was $35/plate for a quantity of only 20. I defy you to find something machined to those tolerances for only 20 pieces. They were $35 each not $50. I mic'ed each one as they came off the CNC. So if you are going to criticize, do not lie and get your story straight. I guess, next time I will not be so quick to volunteer to help the DIY Audio community. I had many compliments from the participating members on the top plate. You are the only one who complained. There is always one ingrate in the crowd and that is you. By the way, I did the job at no profit. As a matter of fact I lost a couple of bucks running prototypes to make sure they were exactly to the drawing as I don't do this for a living. Whats even more funny is that you were one of the two last hold outs to pay on the group buy.

Don't see where Nanook criticized the mentioned platter.

Re: Re: Re: diy hifi parts...

igrant said:

Don't see where Nanook criticized the mentioned platter.

I have perhaps the most expensive, terrible looking ashtray in the history of the world (and I don't even smoke). I know I won't be using it. It is missing some set screws as well. And they wanted another $50 or so for the top plate. Please this is not a dig at Algar_emi and the Maxon motor Group Buy. I must say that I am a little disappointed in what I ended up with for $286 landed. The pulley, and motor are very good. The motor pod is the problem. I'll most likely keep the motor pod as an "experimenters' motor enclosure", spend some more money, have a top plate made for it, and find some set screws. And then get my own motor pod made.

kilowattski....

I obviously hit a sore spot with you. For that I am sorry.

I did not get a top plate, and thus was making a comment regarding the BIX motor pod. I think for the money perhaps you could have made the whole pod, and I am sure it would have been better. And sorry, the "$50" was off the top of my head, in terms of a number.

And don't take any of this too personally as it was not intended to be insulting to you or Algar_emi at all, in any way, shape or form.

If you want to further grieve this please email me. But please accept my apology to both you and Algar_emi. I've had numerous emails back and forth with Sylvain, and certainly have no gripes with him or you.

stew

Re: kilowattski....

Nanook said:
I obviously hit a sore spot with you. For that I am sorry.

I did not get a top plate, and thus was making a comment regarding the BIX motor pod. I think for the money perhaps you could have made the whole pod, and I am sure it would have been better. And sorry, the "$50" was off the top of my head, in terms of a number.

And don't take any of this too personally as it was not intended to be insulting to you or Algar_emi at all, in any way, shape or form.

If you want to further grieve this please email me. But please accept my apology to both you and Algar_emi. I've had numerous emails back and forth with Sylvain, and certainly have no gripes with him or you.

stew

I accept your apology but common sense says that some things are best not discussed on a public forum.

for any that are interested, Paypal info....

Payment for the platters and bearings can be sent to this Paypal account:

nellsk@hotmail.com

I'm putting an arbitrary amount of $500 for the platter and the bearing as the price. At this time no splits, so one of each is required. Splitting sets up now , considering the drop off, is simply not reasonable. I'll leave it open for a week.

In the event that "something happens" with the supplier all moneys will be returned.

stew

Spica: well, something like 2 months...

from "everybody" wanting a platter and bearing (at least 25 folks said "yah, I'm interested" to nobody actually making comment other than to say "not interested", "too busy", blah, blah, blah....). Legitimately some may need to withdraw, and I completely understand. I actually respect those that have and that have indicated that to me, either through the forum or privately. Above all else I appreciate candid honesty. And it's OK if someone were to outright state that they do not have confidence in me or the design , etc. I can live with that. Who on these forums knows me personally? Maybe a handful and perhaps only three or four well enough to make "character references".

Perhaps it is more a statement about me , rather than the platters/bearings. Is it a matter of trust? Why would I spend what has amounted to something in the neighbourhood of 50 hours plus if that was the case? And what would have led any to believe that my intentions are anything but genuine? I'm completely out of answers or ideas.Those that had contacted me, will receive an email if anything ever comes of this. It's not really "canceled", just if no one wants them, at what I consider to be an excellent cost, then ? And how long do I drag this thread on for?

Regarding the exact specifications, I cannot provide the name of the actual maker of the platters and bearings because they do not want to be identified, and I would like to honor their wishes. And the dimensions are almost exactly as per I originally suggested for an inverted bearing type, but had yet to be verified. Minor detail changes would have occurred, but nothing significant. And the bearings and platters would have been essentially unchanged from a couple of different $5000 (without tonearms) turntables.

I guess I just don't get it. And hence my new "blank " avitar
I do feel obligated to provide those that do order with what they have ordered, regardless of how that will be facilitated. Or return any payments to their providers in the event that there is no chance of fulfilling their orders.

stew

agent .5...

for now it is still on. Send payment via Paypal. nellsk at hotmail.com is my Paypal account. (please replace "at" with "@", I just couldn't get the BB software to not have my Paypal account show up as an email addy )

I've been "venting" a bit at what I perceive as a lack of response. When I finally got something going. 2 responses in a day or so is not what I would call a great result.

Nothing will "happen" until at least a week and then, based on the responses and commitments made, a decision will be made. In the event that "nothing" happens for the GB , your payment will be sent back in full, or an alternate will be arranged (at your choice).

As I am a new audio seller (of any sort on the internet) and writer (I review for Affordable$$Audio ), I simply cannot afford a single negative comment regarding ethics. 3 or 4 moderators know me personally as well. I take your trust in me seriously

I need to see more detailed specifications on the platter/bearing purchase. The details presented are far too sketchy to make an informed decision. Also, this is a DIY project, for which we will all presumably have to build plinths, etc. It would make more sense to provide us with dimensioned drawings of the parts than to require us each to measure the components.

Specifically, I need to see flatness and parallelism (top/bottom face) specifications for the platter as well as concentricity of the central hole with the platter diameter. Also, surface finish RMS roughness.

The bearing is more critical. In an earlier post you said "the bearing is machined within .1mm (approximately .004")." Is this the outer diameter clearance between the bearing block and platter, or the clearance between the shaft and the sintered bronze bushing, or just the tolerance of the diameter. I would hope the shaft machining tolerance would be better than +/-0.010mm. That's pretty easy with a decent lathe and grinder. Admittedly, I am not too knowledgable about sintered bronze bearings, but 4 mils seems like a sloppy fit. Perhaps that is what is required.

Other bearing questions:
Shaft material and hardness (if case hardened)
Shaft surface finish

These are some of the specifications I would give to a shop if I were to source the project myself.

Thanks,

Jeremy

some photos of the platter and bearings

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hope that helps...this is of the "existing bearing" from the existing high-end manufacturer. I will see if the maker will supply me with some basic parameters, and dimensions and material characteristics--although they will not release what they consider to be their intellectual property. Dimensionally similar to the bearing I designed, but not exact.

Please look at post #107 for details on the bearing and platter I designed.

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.