Any info on Goto drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lower distorsion. I remember that one French audiophile using Goto drivers, was doing a 6 way system and kept insisting that adding another channel further released the strains on the drivers. He actually gone to using multiple identical drivers for the higher frequencies for the very same reason (it was kind of an array of 3 goto tweeters!)

So I guess the same reasoning applies here.

Furthermore, I see those are bass/midbass units. He might want to EQ them lower, so having three of them helps...

Here's a full GOTO sysytem by Jeffery Jackson at the 2008 VSAC event:

36.jpg

Sounded great!

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'd really love to see some goto style devices from someone like Radian, BMS, B&C or 18Sound, covering the 100Hz - 800 Hz band. However these wouldn't be practical for PA uses so we ain't ever see them.

I am aware only of Community doing something like this (community M2 I think), a modern alternative to Goto and ALE

I'd really love to see some goto style devices from someone like Radian, BMS, B&C or 18Sound, covering the 100Hz - 800 Hz band. However these wouldn't be practical for PA uses so we ain't ever see them.

I am aware only of Community doing something like this (community M2 I think), a modern alternative to Goto and ALE

the community is said to sound not good. the cogent 1448 is interesting, but at 17k a pair unaffordable for "normal" people like us.... ;)

Audio Asylum Thread Printer

I may have previously posted some experiences with the M4 on a rather large Community horn, but the bottom line was 2 12" way outperformed the M4 in a smaller sized horn in the low mid region. The M4 seemed to be running out of steam even at 200 hz, and the horn it was on certainly went lower than that. Had a dozen of them, they were like new when I bought them. They had been put in a convention center as down firing paging speakers, but were replaced almost immediately, and even getting them at a fraction of the original price they were a great dissapointment. Concept was great, but they just didn't sound very good at all in any of the range they covered.

the first years of AA host some hidden gems..... nice description of Goto :

200 OK

I just went to Japan and listened GOTO and ALE horn system. Both sounds far better than other systems I heard (Altec A5 + JBL2405, Avantgard Trio/Duo, TAD). They sounded very natural, and it maked me to forget about “listening to audio system”. It almost felt like sound came out from the space. I think their very fast tangent response is the key for the natural sound. I tried tweeter with smaller (still bigger than usual tweeter) magnet and monster magnet (bigger than JBL375) at both GOTO and ALE. They resulted same, bigger the magnet makes less sharp (unwanted) sound, and sounds more natural. Due to huge/long horns both system cannot have good phase alignment. However the sound image was excellent. I wonder what phase alignment does to the sound! I also have to mention that their bass was super fast and tight. After I listened GOTO and ALE, I listened Duo. I thought Duo had fast mid and high (good horn sound) and somewhat slow bass. Duo sounded like aggressive hi-fi sound. GOTO and ALE had much more musical natural sound. I came home (Nashville, TN) and listened my A5 + JBL2405, it sounds more like Duo. After listening ALE and GOTO, my horn system does not sounds musical (I thought my system was musical..)…
More detail:
I listened GOTO at their distributor, Tanaka Audio Lab in Tokyo, and ALE at their main office in Kanagawa. In same week I stopped by Jazz café, Megu that is owned by Yasukuni Terashima who is a famous jazz/audio writer (MJ) in Japan. Megu is famous for having very good sound. GOTO’s system was 3-way horns with 15” woofer with GOTO’s custom solid-state amplifiers. ALE’s system is also 3-way horns with 15” woofer with transformer coupled tube push-pull amplifiers. Megu uses Avantgarde Duo, and I don’t know about amplifier. GOTO and ALE sounded very similar compared to other horn systems. GOTO has much tighter sound than ALE. I think this is due to solid-state with GOTO and tube with ALE system. Biggest difference was that sweet listening spot for GOTO was much bigger than ALE. When I move my head around with GOTO system, sound image does not change much as ALE. ALE system sounded softer than GOTO. If I listen very long hours, I prefer ALE system. If I cannot sit stand still (listen while doing other things), I prefer GOTO system. Both systems have totally different system setup, so I cannot compare apple to apple. However both systems had far better musical sound than Duo and A5+JBL2405.

the first years of AA host some hidden gems..... nice description of Goto :

200 OK

I just went to Japan and listened GOTO and ALE horn system. Both sounds far better than other systems I heard (Altec A5 + JBL2405, Avantgard Trio/Duo, TAD). They sounded very natural, and it maked me to forget about “listening to audio system�. It almost felt like sound came out from the space. I think their very fast tangent response is the key for the natural sound. I tried tweeter with smaller (still bigger than usual tweeter) magnet and monster magnet (bigger than JBL375) at both GOTO and ALE. They resulted same, bigger the magnet makes less sharp (unwanted) sound, and sounds more natural. Due to huge/long horns both system cannot have good phase alignment. However the sound image was excellent. I wonder what phase alignment does to the sound! I also have to mention that their bass was super fast and tight. After I listened GOTO and ALE, I listened Duo. I thought Duo had fast mid and high (good horn sound) and somewhat slow bass. Duo sounded like aggressive hi-fi sound. GOTO and ALE had much more musical natural sound. I came home (Nashville, TN) and listened my A5 + JBL2405, it sounds more like Duo. After listening ALE and GOTO, my horn system does not sounds musical (I thought my system was musical..)…
More detail:
I listened GOTO at their distributor, Tanaka Audio Lab in Tokyo, and ALE at their main office in Kanagawa. In same week I stopped by Jazz café, Megu that is owned by Yasukuni Terashima who is a famous jazz/audio writer (MJ) in Japan. Megu is famous for having very good sound. GOTO’s system was 3-way horns with 15� woofer with GOTO’s custom solid-state amplifiers. ALE’s system is also 3-way horns with 15� woofer with transformer coupled tube push-pull amplifiers. Megu uses Avantgarde Duo, and I don’t know about amplifier. GOTO and ALE sounded very similar compared to other horn systems. GOTO has much tighter sound than ALE. I think this is due to solid-state with GOTO and tube with ALE system. Biggest difference was that sweet listening spot for GOTO was much bigger than ALE. When I move my head around with GOTO system, sound image does not change much as ALE. ALE system sounded softer than GOTO. If I listen very long hours, I prefer ALE system. If I cannot sit stand still (listen while doing other things), I prefer GOTO system. Both systems have totally different system setup, so I cannot compare apple to apple. However both systems had far better musical sound than Duo and A5+JBL2405.

Thank you for reporting about this.
Who knows, where driver from GOTO and ALE are to listen in Europe ?
In this case this thread is also of interest:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...5-woofer-goto-sg38wn-series-up-110db-w-m.html

BTW - ALE is no longer mentioned about
Tachyon
Is there a new company naming or new japanese Distributor? On the web I don't find informations.

Thank you for reporting about this.
Who knows, where driver from GOTO and ALE are to listen in Europe ?
In this case this thread is also of interest:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...5-woofer-goto-sg38wn-series-up-110db-w-m.html

BTW - ALE is no longer mentioned about
Tachyon
Is there a new company naming or new japanese Distributor? On the web I don't find informations.

contact person for foreign inquiries about Ale is Be Yamamura :

yamamura.bei@gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.