• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Any ideas on how to get a good piano cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also would like a good piano cheap. If someone knows the number of a free piano dealer ( as i'm unemployed and have no cash ) then hook both me AND Duo up.

my fingers are itching to tickle some ivory....but only if its real ivory that's been hacked from a dead elephant and carved into keys that i can tickle.

-Maz

HOLY CRAP!!!!! ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!!!!!

Amazon sells .... get this : (quoted right from amazon)

"Editorial Reviews
Ingram
An oversize book, featuring a miniature electronic keyboard, offers an easy-to-play collection, including music and lyrics, of Babar the Elephant's favorite songs, including ""Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"" and ""Shoo-Fly.""

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-3476311-8663034?v=glance&s=books

This is the greatest night of my life.

-Maz

Chickering (Variac)

I once used one of these. Book says (as I recall) that they are pretty good if in good repair. They sold a fair number on looks (ornate carving, etc.) but the guts were quite sound. Most of course are pretty geeserly, so most also have stuuf that needs patching, etc.

FYI you might try DYI regulating it. It isn't hard and makes a big difference. No one seems to geth their pianos regulated, oddly.

Norman

Dude....i'm getting a little pissed, as nobody has given me a piano yet. I'm not going to post on this thread anymore or bother to read it unless i get a delivery truck showing up on my doorstep soon.

Just think about that while you sleep on your uncomfortable bed of dozens of painos that you arent playing on....

-Maz

*with at least a bottle of wine in me*

regulation

A piano movement has a gazillion parts between the key and hammer, a number that move somewhat independently. As most are wood, they cannot be made exactly the same, nor will they stay the same and in the same relationship to each other over time. Regulation = making a number of adjustments such as how far back the hammer goes after let off, etc. in order to make the piano action uniform and correct over the whole instrument. There are 4-5 basic ones per note on a grand. Norman

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My understanding is that "piano tuning" generally means just adjusting the tension of the strings so they are in tune. But a piano technician can adjust many things to affect how the piano plays- even poking a needle into the felt on the hammers to adjust their individual hardness. My son's school has a Steinway baby grand and players never fail to mention how messed up it is to play. The tone is nothing special either. I think the problem is that it was rebuilt by someone without the required skills or maybe without enough time to do a decent job.

It is really cool how quickly a tech can dissassemble a piano- it's really modular and everything just slides apart!

Not claiming to really know anything about pianos...

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
The P80 doesn't have built in speakers, which is something I didn't want anyway; I'd rather save on weight. The more expensive models have the same key feel and similar sound. But you don't want to use the built in sound anyways; you really should use Gigastudio. From other marques, the closest thing is the Roland FP-3, which is about the same quality but more expensive. I recommend you go to a store where you can try the feel of various offerings.

Prune,thanks for the response.I would really like to get one of those.I never played my old Ensoniq through headphones but what you say makes sense.An electronic weighted keyboard has alot more acoustic posiblities than a real acoustic in a way with all the different samples.You really can't get an upright,honky tonk sound on a Bosendorfer or Steinway.And the reverse is true.Thanks again.Roland.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.