Any HDMI experts today?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I just bought an LCD TV and a Sony DG920 receiver.

The whole system: TV, cable box, blu-ray player, and receiver are all connected with HDMI cables.

So... I was a bonehead. After moving some cables around (unplugging etc..) with the devices powered up, the receiver started misbehaving. At apparently random intervals... the video and audio would blip off for a moment... as if the receiver were searching for a signal.

I narrowed this down to the receiver, sort of, because routing the cable box directly to the TV cured the problem.

I then reconnected the receiver, this time with EVERYTHING powered down and AC UNPLUGGED... powered up and problem solved... everything working normally.

...Pure curiousity at this point:

1) Do these HDMI based components go through some intializing sequence during power up?

The TV and cable box seem oblivious to "hot plugging".

2) The Sony receiver has about 8 million input options/connections. Is this just the receiver getting confused?

The manual for the Sony is the worst ever... no details (or clarity for that matter) of any sort.

HDMI pandemonium

heh poobah...

My Denon 3808CI (which is s'possed to handle everything HDwhatever) takes like 5 minutes to "handshake with my HDMI lcd/hdmi dvd player when interspersed as the control unit.

If I run the DVD directly into the teevee, they latch up in like seconds (after the obligatory 1 minute welcome screen from the player)... sooo...thus far I just run the Rec'vr for the 7.1 audio/etc.

Seems like such a waste though... and all those extra cables instead of the HDMI one for all route... but I just haven't had the time to work thru the gawd-awful Denon engrish manual...:eek: :xeye: :bigeyes: :whazzat:

I'm open to suggestions... this copy protection crapola sucks...

John L.

ttan98 said:
scott wurcer,

Just curious you like Kanesh and Chinese painting!

Yes, I hope there's no incompatibility there that I am missing. I also love Hindu devotioal music. The cab drivers in Mumbi all had these incredibly tacky little Ganesha shrines on their dashboards full of flashing LEDs, I couldn't find one to buy anywhere.

I also eat uni and natto.

Thanks all...

The TV has behaved for 2 or 3 days now...

In the course of all this... the retailer has exchanged/replaced what was likely a good unit.

Maybe someday people will realize that a user's manual should be informative... rather than "spin"... After all, once you've purchased the product... what's the point?

argh!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.