Any Guitarists Here or WannaBes like me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We should collaborate and make a song to scare mice away......I'm sure we could be just as effective with our playing ability and electonics knowledge to scare more than mice away. I'm thinkin bats, roaches, aliens, people and the whole gamut! LOL

People, I got that down. I just saw this thread since it was on the home page when I logged in. I played in a band when I was 15. It was the 60's and we played the popular surf music (pretty easy stuff). Lack of practice and a bit of arthritis has caused a serious decline in my abilities. Back then our motto was "If you can't be good, be LOUD".

The Vanderbilly site looks cool, I need to start somewhere. Thanks for the link.

There was a guy down the street that ran a pirate radio station. He was on the air for 7 years. He had a show called "the G spot" that was a play along guitar lesson (easy chords). Video was live on the web site. The Tuesday night show was my 1 hour a week guitar practice, but unfortunately the station was permanently shut down about 3 years ago. Not by the FCC, but by a heart attack. Their web site is still alive, but the guitar lessons are gone.

Jack And Jill Radio

I still pick up the guitar when I have a chance, but it is usually to investigate a new sound, or to do some wierd science experiment. I use it to torture test all of my amplifier designs. If my guitar playing can't kill an amp, it can't be broken.

The photo shows a trainwreck style feedback that I used to "test" a monster tube amp that used a transmitting tube (the glowing tube on the bench in front of me). I got phone calls from up to 2 blocks away wanting to know "what the *&%& was that?"

The "Strat" is a Mexican Squier, and the Les Paul is an Epiphone. I don't play good enough to justify expensive stuff. I have started building my own guitar with a vacuum tube preamp built in, but it is a long way from completion.

More pictures and technical info about the "experiment" :

The 833A SE Amp Prototype

Attachments

• StratFeedback1b.jpg
    StratFeedback1b.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 108
Any guitarists here?

Look... that's so insulting I've gone into repetition mode. Of course there are guitarists here you imbecile. What do you think? Drummers can do electronics?

There are a maximum of 4 parts in Western harmony. On an odd occasion there are 5 notes in a blues chord but other than that no chords have more than 4 notes. That means that while the number of possible chords is large, it's finite. It also means that a chord in one key can have identical notes to a chord with a different name in a different key. That's what's meant by enharmonic modulation, but the main point is:- the total number of chords is limited, and the total number of useful ones on the guitar is even more limited, not infinite, as you might imagine, or have been told.

So despite obviously being somewhat intellectually challenged in other respects there's hope for you yet.

w

They just had Paco Peña on 'Guitar Heroes at the BBC' - fantastic.

Lol you work at a guitar store wakibaki?

Anyway self taught. Been noodlin' since I was 11 or so. Got into a little of an anti-guitar stage for a few years but I can't deny it's my first instrument. Maybe it's more the guitarists I stopped liking and not the instrument so much ;)

I'm a guitarist - had it for almost 2 years, and I've got as far as Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

I self-taught until very recently, when I got some lessons from the guy around the corner.
I play a fender guitar (can't remember which one) through a fender G-dec junior amp, though sometimes I use dad's mcgregor amp with mckenzie speakers

Does a bass count? I have a house full of guitars and basses, some I made myself and some I bought. Used to play bass in a blues band and was able to rake out a few chords on a six string. Used to practice my fingering on the bass by playing guitar leads on it.
Trying to keep a band together soured me on the whole playing thing. I just traded a nice Telecaster for a motorcycle.:D

I have hardly been here at DIY because my other passion (from as long as I can remember) is playing guitar.

I have been hanging at: Vanderbilliy | Free Online Video Guitar Lessons
Regards//Keith

I learned guitar by buying song books that went with band albums.
i.e. Status Quo song book and one of their albums from the 70's.

I started off playing along to LP's then slowly picked up the lead parts by ear.
Once you know the key then you are half way to learning elad parts.

After 35 years I can now pick up most rock songs by ear and can play for 7 hours without playing the same song twice from memory.

I learned guitar by buying song books that went with band albums.
i.e. Status Quo song book and one of their albums from the 70's.

I started off playing along to LP's then slowly picked up the lead parts by ear.
Once you know the key then you are half way to learning elad parts.

After 35 years I can now pick up most rock songs by ear and can play for 7 hours without playing the same song twice from memory.

Yeah...Quo was great for learning basic rock riffs
My first band played 'Big Fat Mama' & "Don't Waste My Time' (one of the first solo's I'd mastered..heh)
I started out playing along to the radio in the 60's..it was good ear training
Then I got into learning Creedence songs & guitar solos
I'd recommend learning John Fogerty's guitar style...it's a good start for rock guitar

Cheers

Wow.

I manage around 15 minutes.

haha 15 mins sounds like me...i Know loads of songs, after learning more and more over the 16 years ive played, but it doesnt take much more than 15 mins before the urge to 'jam' overwhelms me and the songs normally degenerate into something new, or some daftly heavy over overdriven riff that makes my windows rattle...normally i can prevent this happening by NOT tuning my guitar to double drop C, but the temptation is often too great!!!

Once this degeneration occurs, i find the problem is stopping jamming :D

Its even WORSE if my mate comes round with his guitar, and wants to record some new songs.....then i have to jump between cooledit and gibson and it can get very messy!

Hey Sy,

I'm glad someone other than me can use some help!

Two years ago I had surgery and got a Bilateral Brachial Plexus Injury. Basically they damaged the median nerves to my arms and hands. My hands were paralyzed for 9 months and since have been improving gradually. I still type with my ring fingers and the sensation feels like electricity. Something you all hate and I live with!

I was playing pretty well after a few years of lessons and then the surgery. I am excited because I can play again (not well yet).

Trust me... we can be in the same group! Where we pay them to listen! LOL

Regards//Keith

excuse me if i say something daft...have you tried using a 'powerball' ?

i find it really useful in exercising and strengtherning my fingers , and my mum who has RSI finds it good rehabilitation, and finds that she suffers at least a small amount less discomfort when typing, or otherwise using her fingers in similar ways.

LOL and i get electric shocks all the time, thats what you get for being half asleep and messing with electricity generators for a living...

BTW, what do you think about the Vox AD15VT for a practice amp? They also have the hopped up -XL version too?
Highly recommended, especially if you don't have:
Speaker
Amp
Preamp
Effects
Cabinet
Amp like this: jump right into the deep end of guitar tones, goes as far as a digital pre-SSamp-combo I've tried.
Amazing little portable thing has some preamp 'amp trick', can't tell if it's actually inductive loading...@@rate has fancy digital effects and does reglar guitar sounds too.
Portable and does all that, amazing little jobby.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.