Any fullrange work in all box types?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
davidallancole,

Actually, not more bass, but just more volume overall. The weird thing about these treated drivers is that they sound really clear at normal volumes. So good that you want to hear "more". So, you turn them up and it still sounds just as good, but it's louder, so you hear "more" and so, you turn it up......

Pretty soon you must have the 8 inch with a crossover, just so you can turn the whole thing up even louder.

I have heard that POP of death, more than once, so, when you get the small drivers first, be sure to stay within the power limits the mfg specifies and then add more driver surface area, all EnABL'd of course.

Bud

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
davidallancole said:
So Bud, what you are telling me is I won't notice much difference in the depth of bass between the FE127E and the 8" hemp cone, just that the hemp cone can play at a higher spl over all?

I'm pretty sure the 8" will go lower and with more authority, but it will have to really stretch to match the midrange magic.

dave

davidallancole,

Not telling you any such thing. I will have to treat a pair of 8 inch FR hemps before I can comment on them. I was suggesting a later melding of Fostex/ Fonken and Hemp 8 inch, in the same room and maybe both running FR..... One thing EnABL'd drivers do, is work well together, even in an organizations that would have their untreated brethren shrieking, lobing and generally making you want to turn them off.

What I think you should do is obtain the Planet 10 EnABL'd Fostex drivers, with Fonken style box. This will provide you with an astonishingly clear and sweet, full range sound, for a pretty good sized space, with no more than 7 watts.

This entire combo was musical, deep, able to handle extreme transients of the orchestral kind and provide equally good presentation of girls with guitars and guitars all alone, in a recent northern barbarian invasion of my home.

That's Levine with CSO playing Groff's orchestration of Rhapsody in Blue, the Wailin' Jennys playing in the Firecracker album and rodrigo y gabriella. Which is a pretty large spread for such a physically small combination to excel at. And did I mention how big a sound stage they provided? Huge.

Bud

EnABLed FR4.5C

davidallancole,

I did not apply the EnABL pattern on the hemcones. Instead, being unsure of myself and my abilities, I enlisted BudP, the man himself, to apply the pattern. I have since applied the pattern to a set of Fostex 126E drivers myself. Aside from assembling the necessary equipment and supplies, the pattern application is rather simple, assuming you have a steady hand and are willing to forego coffee, etc for the duration. If you feel you are not up to the challenge, BudP can probably do it for you (for a fee). Contact him directly for details. His price was reasonable, at least to me. Hope this helps. BTW, the hemp drivers are in a back-loaded horn cabinet. Planet_10 has a Fonken box also suitable for the hempcone driver as well as the Fostex 127. Contact him or chrisb for details. I am of the opinion that the treatment is worth the effort/cost.

Richard

Re: EnABLed FR4.5C

t-head said:
davidallancole,

I did not apply the EnABL pattern on the hemcones. Instead, being unsure of myself and my abilities, I enlisted BudP, the man himself, to apply the pattern. I have since applied the pattern to a set of Fostex 126E drivers myself. Aside from assembling the necessary equipment and supplies, the pattern application is rather simple, assuming you have a steady hand and are willing to forego coffee, etc for the duration. If you feel you are not up to the challenge, BudP can probably do it for you (for a fee). Contact him directly for details. His price was reasonable, at least to me. Hope this helps. BTW, the hemp drivers are in a back-loaded horn cabinet. Planet_10 has a Fonken box also suitable for the hempcone driver as well as the Fostex 127. Contact him or chrisb for details. I am of the opinion that the treatment is worth the effort/cost.

Richard

davidallan:
For another testimony, contact Nanook (Stew Nelles) - he attended the crazy get together at Planet10's earlier this summer and had opportunity to audition a pair of FE127E's Enabled by Bud in a pair of Fonken cabinets.

Richard:
have you tried the treated FE126 in "that" speaker yet?

'that speaker'

crisb,

I am awaiting the finish (white lacquer) on a new mdf version of 'that speaker' ( oh heck, it is the infamous 'Horn' from The Horn Shoppe). I expect to be able to report on the difference between the self-treated FE126E and the BudP-treated FR4.5C in a week or so...I still owe you and Dave pics...coming soon. I am awaiting Wright Sound mono 7's and 12A linestage as well...Onetics ICs too...yoohoo!!!

Richard

davidallancole-I recommend visiting sooner ...

listening to: The Wailin' Jennys - The Devils' Paintbrush Road - Live version...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.