Any external soundcards with PCM4202?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ;)

I would like to be able to use the TI PCM4202 A/D converter on my PC so wonder if any of you know if there is an external & reliable soundcard that uses this chip? Unfortunately, I can't use the evaluation board from TI since it only records about 1 million samples.

I know of Korg's MR1000 but would like to find a cheaper alternative, if possible.

Inputs are appreciated ;-)

Best regards,

Jesper

Last edited:
only records about a million samples and then what? 1 million samples at its highest bandwidth is considerably less than 10 seconds!! actually no, since you are talking about DSD its hardly enough to evaluate anything is it? I wonder where you are getting your information from? ive never heard of any eval board having a time limit. or do you mean 1million recordings?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
only records about a million samples and then what? 1 million samples at its highest bandwidth is considerably less than 10 seconds!! actually no, since you are talking about DSD its hardly enough to evaluate anything is it? I wonder where you are getting your information from? ive never heard of any eval board having a time limit. or do you mean 1million recordings?

Hi qusp,

I have asked TI support. It's not the evaluation board itself but the software - ADC Pro I think it's called - that only allows for 1024000 samples in one take. Takes can be assembled then but they may not be contiguous.

Best regards,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Jens,

I can see that you are Danish as well ;-)

How do you get the audio into the PC?

This has been my problem all along - and somehow still is: How to get the signal from the PCM4202 - or any other AD converter into the PC.... I've asked around for an AES/EBU or SPDIF to firewire/USB converter that also has a supporting Windows software but either they have been "low" sample frequency devices (i.e. 96 kHz) or sound cards that in themselves are quite expensive. I haven't yet found a device that goes from an ADC & into the computer. Maybe you know of one?

Also, as for now I'm investigating some of the higher resolution alternatives like the ARDA AT-1201 or the ESStech ES9012 (I think it is) that allows for 12 MHz DSD &/or 384 kHz sampling, so I'm also looking outside of the PCM 4202...

Greetings,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi - thanks for your reply, but as I noted in posts #1 & #3 I need an external soundcard (have a laptop) and the max Nos of samples in ADC PRO which is TI's software for their ADCs is 1024000 samples which is too little for me.

I'm also hoping to find at least a 384 kHz solution now ...

Greetings,

Jesper

Why not the PCM4222EVM? PCM4222 and PCM4202 are rather similar...
For 192kHz/24bit SPDIF input into PC - get the Infrasonic Quartet.

I'm interested in the PCM4222EVM also but do not know how to interface the AES or S/PDIF outputs (or the DSD output) to my laptop with firewire and USB. There doesn't seem to be a box out there that does that.

Would this work:
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/usb.aspx

If you connect the PCM4222EVM S/PDIF output to this board it converts it to USB. I just don't know enough about digital audio to know for sure. The TI DAC used in the Twisted Pear board is only good for 16 bits/48kHz. crap.

Last edited:
Nah, it won't work. They call it "receiver" as it receives "USB" and turns it into "SPDIF" or whatever. No SPDIF input.

Check out the miniDSP boards, there are some interensting, much better than beaten-to-death PCM thing.
I guess the TE7022 board should work up to 96k/16bit (or maybe even to 96/24), but you'd better ask them to be sure.

If you want 192kHz... then i'm lost (had to buy PCI card to make it work).

Nah, it won't work. They call it "receiver" as it receives "USB" and turns it into "SPDIF" or whatever. No SPDIF input.

Check out the miniDSP boards, there are some interensting, much better than beaten-to-death PCM thing.
I guess the TE7022 board should work up to 96k/16bit (or maybe even to 96/24), but you'd better ask them to be sure.

If you want 192kHz... then i'm lost (had to buy PCI card to make it work).

Do you mean this board?
miniSTREAMER | miniDSP
It does look really good. thanks!

The PCM4222EVM board's serial output can be configured for I2S output, which can be connected to this minidsp board, or I could use one of the S/PDIF outputs for the minidsp board also. Ideas?

Last edited:
Hi Dirkwright,

The prices actually are on their website:

USB Audio - RigiSystems AG

.. at the bottom. I don't know though what the basis kit includes in terms of the RDK or SDKs for development.

Best regards,

Jesper

OK, thanks. Too rich for me right now. I bought a miniStreamer from MiniDSP. It has I2S input and output to USB. I am hoping to connect the audio serial port on the PCM4222EVM to the miniStreamer for output to my laptop. Do you think this will work. Pete's interface will come in handy interfacing the audio gear with the PCM4222.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you think this will work.

Hi, I'm not really a digital expert but from briefly reading on miniDSP's website it appears to accept I2S at 96 kHz and the PCM4222 outputs I2S as well. You apparently won't be able to use 192 kHz, though. When connecting things you should consider short distances, good cabling etc. - but maybe you already know this ...

Best regards,

Jesper

Hi, I'm not really a digital expert but from briefly reading on miniDSP's website it appears to accept I2S at 96 kHz and the PCM4222 outputs I2S as well. You apparently won't be able to use 192 kHz, though. When connecting things you should consider short distances, good cabling etc. - but maybe you already know this ...

Best regards,

Jesper

Yeah, I know that the miniStream is limited to 96Khz. They have a more expensive one that does 192kHz. I was going to put both of them in the same box, so the connection would be just some short jumper wires. Here's a photo of the evaluation board. It apparently has awesome performance.

Attachments

• 42222.JPG
    42222.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 349
Hello, I'm also considering the pcm4222 evaluation board. From a quick read of the manual it is limited to 192khz, but can output in i2s format, other than spdif AES/EBU.
The usbstreamer seems the cheaper option available, although i2s connection must be short.

The best "sound card" usb interface I found is the yellowtec puc2 lite, which is only Aes in/out and the drivers and general build quality seems high. Cost is almost 400€, though.

Opinions? Someone else managed to interface well an ADC to a computer for audio measurements?

My reluctance of using just an emu 0204 or even the qa400 is the poor HF performance which makes them unusable above 30khz (when set at 192k)
I would like to do a 20k fft properly, and 19+20k imd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.