any electric bass players? im building a bass guitar cab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
freddi said:

hi Snikpout - do you think Omni 15's bass section (and
perhaps the whole cabinet) would be good for home stereo?

Nigel Goodwin said:

Most probably not?, musical instrument speakers and HiFi speakers
are completely different items, with completely different purposes.

Hi,

Unlike a lot of bass cabinets the Omni15 would also make a pretty
good PA loudspeaker. Any good PA speaker for home use with a
decent amplifier is capable of playing at mind-numbingly loud levels.

At sensible levels a PA speaker struggles against a hi-fi speaker
and basically has poor bass extension for the cabinet size, but
they can be the only loud option for flea powered amplifiers.

:)/sreten.

Most probably not?, musical instrument speakers and HiFi speakers are completely different items, with completely different purposes.

I wouldn't bet on this one. German mfgr "Glockenklang" once built a high-quality threeway bass-box. The standard setup was in stereo BTW.

Regards

Charles

Edit: You will find a picture of the setup in the upper part of the following document:

http://www.glockenklang.de/pdf/de/prospekt-03-06.pdf

phase_accurate said:

I wouldn't bet on this one. German mfgr "Glockenklang" once built a high-quality threeway bass-box. The standard setup was in stereo BTW.
]

Like I said, designed for different purposes - a bass guitar cab is designed for maximum volume from the bass guitar, a HiFi speaker is designed for maximum quality and bass extension, and sacrifices volume to achieve it.

But interesting looking speaker though - I wonder how well it worked?, and if it was intended for bass guitar or multi-purpose use?.

It was actually aimed at bass-players. The whole setup was exorbitantly expensive, in the order of a small car back then. It seems that it was quite heavy and impractical. But a tester remarked that it was basically a high-quality and high-SPL stereo.

I am of course aware that stage equipment is optimised for the most SPL per -buck, -kilo, -watt etc.
But hearing a bass played through a system that is really broadband, low distortion and high SPL is quite a treat.

Regards

Charles

Hi, definetely not your average mono 4x10 + 1x15 stack, ;)/sreten.

Attachments

• new picture (1).jpg
    new picture (1).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.