Any docs for CDM4/31?

Think that's why the others (and myself) would like to have one.

guido, if this is still the case, and you did not order at pollin by yourshelf, you should contact me. If i get enough for everyone i don´t know yet, i ordered the last ones at pollin and wait if they appear.

I have until now order and adress of Jean Paul and cobra2, i await adress of Audiofanatic. If you or rbroer are interested i need an email with adress and we will see if there are enough CDMs.

Would it be possible to force a CDM4/31 to play a CD with this SAA chip and a DAC connected, with a pic sending some kind of play command to this SAA?

Till,

I will sent you an email, i am interested in such a transport. As for using a pic, as far as i know it works like this:

The SAA7210 decodes the HF signal from the laser(decoder) and outputs the dig. signal in i2s form to the dig filter. That's the audio. It also controls the disk motor and therefore the speed the
disk is spinning.

It also informs a microprocessor about the current track&time played (subcode data). This then can put this on the display by the microprocessor. But this micro also adjust the radial position by controlling the radial processor (think it are 4 lines for control).
So if you push the next button, the micro reacts by saying to the radial processor to move the head forward on the disk. It then checks the subcode data for the new position, until it sees the next track, 00 seconds.

It also anticipates trackloss, e.g. when hitting the player. So it is not just a command to the SAA... How much the micro should react is depending on the physics of the transport: mass of the head etc.. So it is not easy to put in a pic.

Again, my advise is to obtain a cd player with this transport (broken=cheap) and rebuild it. Like the example from Arne. Think the 7310 is only a decoder, so this thing is non-oversampling already! As for the other player on the site, i have a 650 with a dark green cdm2 transport, the "composite" version.

Greetings,
Guido

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Received my CDM 4/31's from Till last saturday ! What I found is that the laser is nearly identical to the one in a CDM 4/19. The small PCB that's soldered to the laserdiode is slightly different in the sense that it is a real epoxy PCB instead of flexiprint. Also the lens of the laser is a bit different ( completely round whereas the newer ones have a particular shape at the base ) The laser of the CDM 4/31 is from 1989 and that one from my CDM 4/19 is from 1994 so it is IMO slightly modified in the years of production.

I will exchange the laser in a defect cd player ASAP and I will report if it functions as it should. The CDM 4/31 are new but unfortunately not ESD safe packaged by the German company that sells them. They were however packaged very shockproof in bubble foam and the laser itself is protected by a hard cover. My guess is that while connected to the board not much harm can be done ESD-wise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Maybe a bit too early but I just discovered this mechanics is used in Arcam Delta 70.2 :bigeyes: I have one here since this evening that is brought in for repair and it has the same connectors.

The sticker of which version this mechanics is is missing so it is an guesstimation. The underlaying PCB is the same. Base plate is very slightly different but it is also flat unlike other CDM 4 types. The Controller Microprocessor that controls the unit is a MAB 8441P T157 and ZC86606 for display, the rest is SAA7210 / SAA7220PB and TDA1541A-S1 as usual.

This player is working but sound is very low in volume. Won't replace the laser for the CDM 4/31's since it is not my cd-player ( and it functions OK apart from the volume issue )...

Received (the last?) three drives on Friday, may have one extra.

Looking at http://www.blackpudding.fsnet.co.uk/digital_jitter,
the CDM 4/31 seems to be pretty obscure, i.e none of the Marantz, Philips, Grundig, Technics players liested there used it, so there will be little chance of finding an exact "home" for this drive on ebay.

I have two Technics players with the 4/19, one still working, the other one broken. Let me know about your transplantation results (whole arm or just the laser/pcb/connector unit?).

Any chance this laser itself would also work in a CDM9/44? The flex connector does look different.

Hi,

Got the cdm4 today and now i understand the confusion with the cdm2. They look identical!! I have a CDM2/29 (took it out of the cd650 for a moment) and now a CDM4/31. Taking apart the cdm650 transport is 2 torx screws, 5 min job...

From the top they look similar, the laserunit of the cdm4 is a bit smaller. On the inside, the motor for cd rotation is a piece of work in the cdm2 and looks like a standard piece in the cdm4. The connectors on the side look equal and i did a quick comparison: the signals are identical, but i still have my doubts. I think the circuit behind it is different for some signals. I am not (yet) going to try a swap, but maybe if the cdm2 goes..

The signals are looking from the side, pcb at the bottom: I only had a first look, i could have made mistakes!!

small connector
+2 +1 0 -1 -2 +2=10.5V

+1=5V -1=-6V -2=-12V in a cd650!
I guess the +2 and -2 can differ a bit from player to player. Depends what the opamps need on the transport pcb.

large connector
mc rpu redig b0 b1 b2 b3 tl si rd dods hdf gnd hf

Some signals are straight from one of the chips, no problem there. Others, like rd go through some transistors on the cdm4, but it comes straigth from the 5708 on the cdm2. So if they are really exchangeable ????

The cdm2 pcb is a mess, lot of rework (floating components) and the solderjob is crappy (chips are reworked also). The cdm4 looks much better.

My pcb was broken on arrival!! a corner of the pcb was broken off. Not really a problem: two wires and reconnecing one resistor should do the job. No issue for me, i am probaly going to use only the laser for a swap. the cdm4 looks much more like the cdm2 then to the cdm3 (which looks more like a cdm1), strange.

I have the service manual for the cd650, but not for the transport part. I have one for a version of cdm2, but with the decoder microprocessor on board. In the 650, that's on the main pcb.

right one is the cdm4, cover still on the lens.

Greetings,
GuidoB

Attachments

• cd2&4.jpg
    cd2&4.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,396
Mmm,

When i talked to a friend of mine who worked in Hasselt, he told me that it is not possible to exchange because of physical differences with the transports (and therefore differences in the programming of the controlling micro). But looking at the cdm2 and 4, they are very similar. The baseplate is exactly the same and the pins on the connector are too.

So probably this cdm4 is designed to replace the cdm2...?
But remember, a 'normal' cdm4 cannot replace the cmd2 and there are cdm2 versions with a microprocessor on the pcb out there.

But i think now i have a spare transport for my cd650, that's something. The broken pcb is easy to fix: no problem for me.

Greetings,
GuidoB

till said:

What's new?
The No.31.5's transport mechanism is mounted on the same sprung 12-lb lead-brick assembly as in the '31. However, whereas the No.31 used the Philips CDM 4 CD player mechanism, with its familiar swing-arm laser pickup, the '31.5 features Philips' new CDM 12 2x-speed industrial CD-ROM mechanism with a linear-tracking pickup and a digital servo. Because this is a CD-ROM drive, it won't by itself access the audio disc's subcode and index information. Madrigal therefore developed their own control software.

from
http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?356

If you want a state of the art professional drive, i´m sure CD PRO2 is better. But at this price the CDM4/31 is a nice toy to play around with.
http://www.blackpudding.fsnet.co.uk/digital_jitter/laser_cross_reference.htm

does this mean, that as the CDM 12 is a CD ROM drive, it can have some difficulties playing the new copy protected CDs, designed for not playing on CD ROM drives?

Bricolo said:

does this mean, that as the CDM 12 is a CD ROM drive, it can have some difficulties playing the new copy protected CDs, designed for not playing on CD ROM drives?

No.
Because it doesn't loook for a data session when you insert a CD.
It's control software, when applied to a cd-player, is made so that it looks for red-book (digital audio) when you insert a CD in the tray.
The problem with CD-Roms and DVD players is that in a multissession CD the last thing they will look for is music!
They look for data first.