• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any clue of how to use this part as a current sink for a CF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

How would you use it as a current sink? Would you place a resistor above the "A" terminal and connect the "G" terminal to the top of the resistor?

No, don't use a resistor at the A. In fact you can use it as a sink just like the diagram in the PDF data. just connect the resistor (eg 100 Ohms for 25mA) from K to ground, connect G to ground, and connect the circuit you want to take a constant current FROM - to the A terminal.

:att'n: Be sure to heatsink the device adequately to dissipate I(mA)*(Vdrop from A to K) in mW.

:att'n: Take care if you are experimenting with a current source in a valve cathode circuit, since if it goes open-circuit you will get a big voltage between the two points going to A and K & A and G.

How would you use it as a current sink?

If you use figure 1, attach the Tubes cathode to A.
ground G and place the resistor K to Ground.
for 15 ma, the resistor appears to be about 200 ohms.
Basically looks a bit like a triode from a bias standpoint.
put negitive voltage on the K pin and ground the input, G.
AC is very like a pentode, BTW.

Important notes, indirectly heated triodes only. Directly heated triodes need a more complex treatment.

By the way, nice part. with 350v max, I bet its not cheap.

Doug

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Using it as a plate load, you connect pin A to your B+ supply, and the bottom part where G and Rk meet, to the tube's anode. The amplified signal is also taken from this last point.

Note that the min dynamic resistnace is 10k, if you need more, it is better either to take a normal resistors or a real (discrete) current source. Also, the dynamic resistance can vary VERY wildly, so unless you have soem gain-stabilising feedback in your amp, it's gain will also vary all over the place.

Jan Didden

G

Joined 2002
janneman said:
Using it as a plate load, you connect pin A to your B+ supply, and the bottom part where G and Rk meet, to the tube's anode. The amplified signal is also taken from this last point.

Note that the min dynamic resistnace is 10k, if you need more, it is better either to take a normal resistors or a real (discrete) current source. Also, the dynamic resistance can vary VERY wildly, so unless you have soem gain-stabilising feedback in your amp, it's gain will also vary all over the place.

Jan Didden

Actually I believe Peter Millett said something, in his article about this IC, about the 10K figure being a typo and the dynamic resistance is actually 100K. Thanks for the responses.

Hi G

It looks like they corrected the data sheet. It now shows a minimum value of 160K at ~10ma.

I have measured one of the 10M45S parts in my CCS test setup. It performed very well for a single part CCS. It's performance was almost 10X better than the single Supertex DN2540. A cascade pair of DN2540's is a whole different story with very good performance. Having only one of the 10M45S parts I haven't been able to try cascading them.

You can look at the graphs of CCS measurments made to date on my webpage. Look in the CCS measurments section.

Gary
Gary P's DIY page

G

Joined 2002
Gary P said:
Hi G

It looks like they corrected the data sheet. It now shows a minimum value of 160K at ~10ma.

I have measured one of the 10M45S parts in my CCS test setup. It performed very well for a single part CCS. It's performance was almost 10X better than the single Supertex DN2540. A cascade pair of DN2540's is a whole different story with very good performance. Having only one of the 10M45S parts I haven't been able to try cascading them.

You can look at the graphs of CCS measurments made to date on my webpage. Look in the CCS measurments section.

Gary
Gary P's DIY page

Thank you Gary. They will do for a $1.50 part. Especially for a low current preamp circuit. Thanks again.

DWong said:
Has anyone tried cascading the 10M45S yet? I am very interested to try but I don't know how to implement it.

Hi DWONG,

Have you implemented the idea of cascading the 10M45s yet? If yes, can you share your experience? I learnt from Gary Pimmes that the performance of the CCS can be much improved. I think the shunt capacitance can be reduced significantly.

Regards,

T.C. MA

Hi TC,

I use a single 10M45S as a constant current source in front of the plate of the preamp or driver tube. The result is quite good. I haven't tried cascoding the 10M45S as I don't how to implement it.

I think choky's idea is worth trying as you will have better regulations (both current and voltage) to the tube.

Hi Choky & DWong,

Thank you for your information. I think using 10M45s in series with the 0D3 is a good idea. I will try.

I will also use the 10M45s as the plate load of the 5676 gain stage. But just want to know how can the 10M45s be cascaded to improve their performance as the plate load.

Regards,

T.C. MA

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
snoopyma said:
Hi Choky & DWong,

Thank you for your information. I think using 10M45s in series with the 0D3 is a good idea. I will try.

I will also use the 10M45s as the plate load of the 5676 gain stage. But just want to know how can the 10M45s be cascaded to improve their performance as the plate load.

Regards,

T.C. MA

where I can look for datasheets of 10M45?

never mind-I'll look later tonight,and write here what I think...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.