• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Antique Sound Lab Aq1003

Are all the parts shown on that print the same for your unit except no on-board meter?

I'll have to check that. Yes the meter and it's associated parts are not there.

What is the grid#1 voltage on your unit? The print shows that is should be -37v.

I'll measure all voltages and post that.
I''l try changing the problem EL34 position and see what happens.

I am using 12AU7A input tubes but I have also subbed in 5963 with good results.

I don't have any 5963 tubes. The Sovtek 12AU7 and EH gold 12BH7 did sound good though they sound different from each other. Still, both are likeable.

I don't know anything about the Bennic caps. Where are they used?

They appear to be inter-stage coupling caps (?). Maybe you can see that in the photograph. I'll try to trace the location . Maybe I should trace the full circuit and see if it matches the diagram given earlier in this thread. Not today but by the weekend.

As far as the WW-resistors being close to E-caps, I don't think it's a problem unless they get really hot.

That's right. I haven't checked how hot they get. Maybe I should. However it's been there a long time and so it may not be an issue.

Cheers,
Ashok.

Hi, am new to the forums.

I have an faulty AQ-1003 ASL, been use for around 10 years and now is giving me some funny squawking sound , one of the channel volumn is very very soft compare to the other one. I have change tube and doesn't seems to help. Wondering if any of you guys know where can I find the service center, or how should I proceed to repair the unit?

I like the sound of the it, throwing it away is a waste.

Thanks in advance
From

Jack

Maybe you should first spray the tube sockets with Deoxit and carefully plug in an out the tubes several times ,to remove any oxide build up.
Then see if the problem goes away. I had a noise problem on one channel which went away after doing what I mentioned above.

AQ1003 manual

Hello,

If anyone needs a replacement AQ1003 transformer, PM me (Jan/2014). I have one spare from a nice working AQ1003 that got converted to 240VAC mains - the original transformer is 117VAC primary only. Postage from OZ to the rest of the will be around $A100 using AusPost.

The AQ1003 is a nice amp BTW :)

/tb

Hello, I know it’s 6 years, but do you still have the same amp?
If you have the manual, can you copy and post a copy to my inbox, or in this page?

Antique sound labs AQ-1003 Int Amp

I need your help.
I have an ASL AQ-1003 and have a few questions.

What is the normal method of biasing measurement? I have a digital multimeter
And alligator clips/adapters. My amp came with Shuguang EL-34B tubes and I was hoping (if feasible) to use JJ KT-77’s.

Please advise how I should proceed.
Thanks,
baje55

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...6171-antique-sound-lab-aq1003-asl-aq-1003-jpg
There are 4 presets R104,106,108, 110 for bias adj, and also label A, B, C, D at transistors emitter. A -VB3, B-VB4, C-VB1, D-VB2. Measure the voltage at pin 5 and ground which is -37V then measure voltage on the 10 ohms cathode resistor R16, 17, 37, 39. label E, F, G, H until these reading are all the same while keeps the bias as close to -37V as possible. You can preset the bias voltage without the power tubes, to measure the cathode current you need the tube in. Use this clip is safer:
https://shopee.com.my/SHNGki-Profes...Flexible-Testing-Probe-i.163592123.4617929590
Maybe you send us some pictures of back side?

Last edited:
AQ1003 biasing

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...6171-antique-sound-lab-aq1003-asl-aq-1003-jpg
There are 4 presets R104,106,108, 110 for bias adj, and also label A, B, C, D at transistors emitter. A -VB3, B-VB4, C-VB1, D-VB2. Measure the voltage at pin 5 and ground which is -37V then measure voltage on the 10 ohms cathode resistor R16, 17, 37, 39. label E, F, G, H until these reading are all the same while keeps the bias as close to -37V as possible. You can preset the bias voltage without the power tubes, to measure the cathode current you need the tube in. Use this clip is safer:
https://shopee.com.my/SHNGki-Profes...Flexible-Testing-Probe-i.163592123.4617929590
Maybe you send us some pictures of back side?

I’m not an electronics expert. I am not competent enough to go inside the amp. Do I measure using MA or MV