Another Leach Amp - Have we lost our Marbles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Daniel

Thx - They cost a damn fortune in vets bills. These are certainly Audiophile level cats :D :D :D

The usual speakers I use with this amp are a pair of Jamo D590's (remakes of the old 707s). Not too bad, although I would put them on a pedestal. Teh main reason I got them was I was able to get a great deal. One of the glass tops had been shattered so I only paid R2500 for them (about $400 US). It then cost me about R60 ($10 to replace the top). New these speakers in SA are about R12000!!!.

Now that the Rand / Dollar exchange rate is down I am planning on building something a bit more high end - prehaps along the lines of of the Seas - Thor Kit. Anybody got any opinions / suggestions? Anybody had experience getting drivers to SA from overseas?

The initial version that I built used ordinary ceramic capacitors in place of the silvered micas that Leach specifies. I subsequently replaced these with the proper caps. The difference that I noticed was small, if not simply my minds influence. What I heard was that the midrange & tops seemed to be a little more pronounced & smother with the new caps as compared to the old version. I will say that a toroid is a must though. Those EI core transformers are big, make lots of noise and in my experience are not as resistant to abuse.

In terms of sound
I used to work in an "audiophile" sound shop here so had the chance to listen to quite a bit of equipment. I would certainly rate the Leach (even with substandard components) as at the very least as good as some of the NAD monoblocks, I cant imagine anybody would disagree (BUT I MAY BE WRONG - IF YOU DO PLEASE COMMENT HERE, It would be nice for Daniel to have the widest possible experience base). I found it noticably quicker though - the NAD's seemed to be a bit sluggish in comparison, however there was "more" bass. For me this amp brings a little fairy dust back to the music ;)

There are also the PASS Labs amps which I have heard are very good. This is to be my next amp project. I have 2x (32-0-32( 500VA Transforms ready for this project. Anybody with any pointers as to what to build?)

NB - We are now getting into subjective territory - This is only my opinion - what may suit my ears might sound terrible to yours.

Byrd said:

There are also the PASS Labs amps which I have heard are very good. This is to be my next amp project. I have 2x (32-0-32( 500VA Transforms ready for this project. Anybody with any pointers as to what to build?)

Thanks for the reply- well I might consider to make a pair of those..... I don't have money or time to play with toys so I have to find a really good amp if I want to build one... :)

I could connect YOU with the friend of mine that has made an Aleph 5 - it doesnt sound bad at all but my opinion is that it is a little bit slow; but musical. I like quick amps.... Maybe You would like to try Aleph X- super symetry instead..... I think that this would be a better choice. My feeling is that this X amp is quick and musical and detailed. This would be my choice for the Pass range of products. Hope this helps.
You could find informations on Pass part of the forum.

regards
daniel:D

Thanks for that info daniel - will look into it. Although I am a little concerned abouth the power supply. The pass spec from the quick look I took was 18-0-18? - This doesn't sound right to me - will have to investigate when I have a bit more time.

PS - New Pics up of the "slaves" at My Gallery. It was quite an experience & I think I was able to get my buddies interested in DIY audio :D

Byrd said:
Thanks for that info daniel - will look into it. Although I am a little concerned abouth the power supply. The pass spec from the quick look I took was 18-0-18? - This doesn't sound right to me - will have to investigate when I have a bit more time.

PS - New Pics up of the "slaves" at My Gallery. It was quite an experience & I think I was able to get my buddies interested in DIY audio :D

Low voltage- high current is the thing to go in Aleph X - don't worry about the low supply voltage - after You read the Aleph X thread You will know why :)
best regards, good luck and happy listening....
daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.