Another I have no money, I have bits of wood and time speaker box.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Morse said:
Hi SkinnyBoy;

Okay, let's see: time is limited but you've got access to good equipment (the exact opposite of my situation). Also, you're thinking about going to a flat finish rather than a mirror polished one.

First, make sure that you've properly prepared the wood surface to be painted. This means sanding to knock down the grain, then filling in ALL voids, nicks, etc and finally sanding to ensure that the filler is down smoothly.

Next, apply a sanding sealer and after it's dry sand again. Then apply a second coat of sanding sealer and sand once again. Good surface preparation is the key to good results whether you're going for a mirror gloss or a flat finish; even a flat white paint will show blemishes, so it's best to take care of 'em before you start.

Finally apply paint in thin coats as you normally would with your spray equipment and allow enough dry time before proceeding. Between coats you will still want to gently sand with 400 to 600 grit paper to eliminate any drips or sags in the finish. Apply enough coats to get an even, clean appearance that is free of drips, dust contamination, etc.

Good luck and all the best,
Morse

Thankyou very much for your help... :) the only reason I suggested flat white is because it would be quicker... :) I'll try to get the boxes finished as soon as possible, and then decide if I have enough time... :) I have 2 weeks until holidays, if I can get the wood to school and cut before then, I can bring it home during the holidays and cut out the speaker opening and port.... as well as flare the opening to the port (on each box) If I can;t get the wood to school and cut before holidays, I can always cut the speaker openings which the piece still whole..., but it is pretty big... lol 1200 X 2400 X 25...... and I can't cut it down the middle to transport it... the boxes have been redesigned so they are still about 60litres (including bracing and stuff) but with the least waste possible, and I only need 1 sheet.. :D now i am rambling on.. lol BYE BYE!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.