Another feedback question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan's question goes right back to Otala's "transient intermodulation distortion" issue. But the simple answer does not seem to me to be clear cut. As Jan says, if you take a standard amp (with we assume Miller compensation) you can at least in simulation see the differential input voltage rise with frequency. The problem this causes is that any increase in base-to-base voltage implies increasing non-linearity and therefore increasing distortion, whether or not the amplifier internally clips. Now this increase in distortion may be low until the b-2-b voltage gets high enough to cause significant non-linearity, which we might say would be 120mV which would cause the currents in the transistors to vary by 10:1.
Peter Baxandall attempted to answer Jan's question by measuring the "peak program". He proposed a simple C-R differentiating circuit which he used to monitor real time music signals. The peak voltage gives a measure of the transients.
So I think the question is "what distortion do you get at frequency f (in open loop)" for a given b-2-b voltage. This could be used to set the limit and if the input signal is band-width limited, falling by the same rate above this as the amplifier compensation falls, then the input stage should not overload.
As for transit times most simulations of most power amps I have run show a delay of 250nS, even for "fast" designs. The issue is complicated by the fact that frequency compensation components add to the loop delays, which without would have been much faster. I assume that the compensation components remain in place when considering "open loop".
I hope this clarifies the question a little: if the input voltage could cause the b -2-b voltage to exceed (define the level which is acceptable) then higher distortion will result, possibly with complete cut-off. Measuring the open loop gain should show the same thing as the simulations: clearly a lower input voltage would have to be used at low frequencies. My answer follows from the above: with Miller feedback you could also add global phase lead (compensation capacitor across the feedback resistor) which will act to reduce the differential voltage, and having determined the maximum acceptable differential voltage you should be able to set the input bandwidth and then the amp should never overload. (Unless there is an exceptional unusual input!)

John I can agree to most of this, and it did flash my light to something I tend to forget.
There are actually two mechanisms (at least...) at work that increase distortion in a feedback amp with frequency.

Firstly, with rising frequency, the open loop gain drops and thus the amp needs more input signal for a specified output level. That, as you say, means more non-linearity from the input diff pair.
Secondly, because the open loop gain is lower, the feedback becomes less effective at suppressing this distortion.

If you look at the rising distortion with freq in a common amp, it rises pretty fast - and this dual mechanism could be the reason.

So, let us degenerate the input pair to extend the linear range. That means less distortion with rising frequency. BUT, the degeneration (all other things being equal) also decreases the loop gain. So what will the result be: more distortion, less distortion, no change? ;-)

But in any case, my question was, if you have an amp that does not under any circumstances (clipping excluded) become overloaded internally in an open loop situation, does that then mean, it will also never be overloaded when you close a feedback loop around it?

Remember, the premise is that it will be internally linear within the audio band and below clipping. Is there a scenario where feedback will cause internal overload? I can't think of any, but that may be my limited imagination ;-)

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No. Leach wouldn't, either

I don't know about Leach, but I (and others) have a perfectly linear amp (in this context) that rolls off open loop at 10Hz. You say I need at least 100kHz. That's a cognitive dissonant if I ever saw one. You can't have it both. Make up your mind ;-)
To paraphrase Meatloaf - What's it gonna be boy ?

"Remember, the premise is that it will be internally linear within the audio band and below clipping. Is there a scenario where feedback will cause internal overload?"
Yes. If you switch to time domain and consider transients . If open loop is as slow as 10 hz you can get internal overload. Just read Leach on low TIm amps.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Internally, an amp looks like a low-pass filter.
High frequencies are not time-delayed by this filter but only attenuated.
Bar the propagation delay due the electrical path, the output of the amp starts to react as soon as a signal arrives at its input.

Exactly! People make the same mistake with capacitors; a capacitor ´delays the signal´. Not so! A capacitor voltage starts to change at the very instant the current into or out of it starts to change! But it does change the phase relationship.

Do a sim of a square wave current into a cap, you will see a triangular cap voltage with inflection points coinciding with the square wave rising and falling edges.

Jan

Can you explain the several billion examples of feedback working exactly as predicted? If not, you might perhaps agree that the issue is your understanding and not the concept?

Bruno Putzeys's F-Word article is a clear exposition to get you started.

Yes, typical. One does not understand basics and blames it to malfunction. Same for BT thread and filters. Wasting time with arguing.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"Remember, the premise is that it will be internally linear within the audio band and below clipping. Is there a scenario where feedback will cause internal overload?"
Yes. If you switch to time domain and consider transients . If open loop is as slow as 10 hz you can get internal overload. Just read Leach on low TIm amps.

If your transients are outside the audio bandwidth, they violate the premise.
If the transient is within the audio bandwidth, please show how that is different from a ´normal´ audio bandwidth signal.

BTW I have corresponded enough with Leach to know what he thought. I don´t think that route leads to convincing me.

BTW2 You still come up¨with arguments that are not evident in real amps. My 10Hz OL opamps never overload internally as long as I don´t clip them and don´t hit them with supersonic signals.

BTW3 Time domain and freq domain are absolutele identical twins. You can´t have a problem in one and not in the other and vice versa.

Jan

Last edited:
If you run the amp open loop, with no feedback loop, you can check whether it can deliver the required (max) output level over the whole frequency band without obvious overdrive problems (which would immediately be seen in this situation, even with just a simple scope probably).
If the open loop amp passes this test, you can close the feedback loop and do not have to worry about this issue.

I don't are a electronic designer so, if this is a stupid question, please, don't shoot me.

But, if the amp work well in open loop, what is the reson for use feedback? In other words, if I are healthy, for what to eat medicines?

The valve amps work nicely without feedback.

Thanks

Last edited:
If bandwidth is increased, the upper pole where 180 degree phase shift sits will rise. This delivers a higher open loop gain cutoff, because with less compensation the lower pole moves above the audio band. Put another way, the loop gain is high even at 20KHz, and therefore the THD will not increase within the audio band.

No. Leach wouldn't, either

As a matter of fact, Leach would, and did. Please see the attached screen shot of his Low-TIM amp page. I built my flavor of Low-TIM amp because of it exactly.

Attachments

• Leach-on-FB.jpg
    Leach-on-FB.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

You keep confusing signal transit time, phase accumulation and open loop bandwidth.

And switching between time and frequency domains won't solve your basic misunderstanding.

As a matter of fact, Leach would, and did. Please see the attached screen shot of his Low-TIM amp page. I built my flavor of Low-TIM amp because of it exactly.

I have an issue with the first highlighted sentence. It assumes that bandwidth is linearly correlated to phase (aka delay) profile. It ain't necessarily so. A cursory inspection of "delay lines" would show a strong counterexample.

I don't agree. Feedback cannot solve the xover problem (for class B) because during xover, the loop gain is essentially non existing. It is the opposite of clipping, if you will - at clipping, feedback is inoperative because there is no loop gain anymore.
Jan

Another standard beginners error. People confuse the dead zone in a class B amplifier (leading to a zero loop gain, therefore no feedback correction is possible, as you said) with the gm doubling effect in class AB amplifiers (causing nonlinear distortion) and call them both "crossover distortion".

Exactly! People make the same mistake with capacitors; a capacitor ´delays the signal´. Not so! A capacitor voltage starts to change at the very instant the current into or out of it starts to change! But it does change the phase relationship.
Jan

Hence the wrong analogy with digital circuits. Digital propagation time is always defined in a capacitive load, however what really matters there is the time required to reach a certain output level. This is of no concern in analog circuits, up to a phase shift. Now, if you want an audio amplifier with a close to zero phase shift, then you may be concerned by the signal "delay" in the Miller compensation cap.

I have an issue with the first highlighted sentence. It assumes that bandwidth is linearly correlated to phase (aka delay) profile. It ain't necessarily so. A cursory inspection of "delay lines" would show a strong counterexample.

Like it or not, they are correlated. Audio amplifiers are minimum phase systems. Therefore, gain and phase are not independent.

This thread has the highest concentration of common errors, pitfalls, myths, that I have had seen lately. Beats by far the BT thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.