Another DIY Schröder Tonearm Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting concept, using magnetic bearings. Now I do have some comments/questions on that:
1) Has anyone considered the effect of teh amgnetic field on the signal from the cartridge? Even if it is shielded, there will still be some residual effect of the field on the signal.
2) How is anti-skate and lateral force adjustment accomplished? If I am not mistaken a single magnet would be neutral. A double magnet would result in a stable position, which means the arm wouldn't move (or produce a counter force as the needle follows the grooves, which produces a negative effect on sound quality). Ofcours eyou could create a magnetic field with 2 magnets that would actually result in a stable lateral force that would manage anti-skate and lateral force control, but I'd imagine the calculations for this and the physical implementation would be unachievable on a DIY level, and uneconomical on a commercial level.
3) use of carbon fibers for threat: Don't. for one, carbon creeps like hell. Secondly, you cannot tie any knots in carbon fiber as it would simply break on the knot.

The subject of carbon in tonearms also raises the next question: Shielding.
carbon is an electrical nightmare. Aicraft with carbon wings need to have special conductive paths to disipate lightning energy. I can imagine that carbon is similarly bad for grounding the tonearm. This means you effectively have most of the wire from the cartridge to the tonearm connectors unshielded, which can affect sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.